How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-04-2013
fashion elite

Exactly Michela!!! On twitter Christy hasn't 100k yet while Kate Upton is almost at 900k
People follow the trends not who you are, not everyone of course and i'm sure if you ask them what do you know about Kate Upton's career they don't even know how to answer, only about SI maybe, so i don't care about twitter or other things.
Look at Carolyn Murphy, she's a 90's supermodel with 10k of followers and Carmen Kass with neither 1k and she's on twitter from many months :O

11-04-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaNatashaFan View Post
In my opinion Natasha is a supermodel, not because i'm her fan but because she had/has a great career in over a decade. I think she can be considered a supermodel in the fashion industry but outside she's not unfortunately. Natasha had 4 only girls campaigns for Gucci and this is MAJOR, 6 Only Girl Vogue Paris covers and many others big deals, plus from one year she got L'Oreal and it's another big deal. I feel there are supermodels considered in the fashion industry (Daria W, Natalia, Raquel, Karen, Natasha, Isabeli, Angela, Amber, Mariacarla, Lara etc) all with differents career/age etc but all very respectable because they're known from EVERYONE in the industry but unfortunately not outside the industry, maybe from the celebrities world but not for general public. Then there are the supermodel for the general public which some of them are real supermodels and some others just because of their fame (Naomi, Gisele, Kate, Adriana, Bar, Irina, Heidi, Kate Upton etc). I think the only supermodels in an objective way (talking about fashion industry and also outside) for me are Gisele Bundchen, Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell, Claudia Schiffer, Cindy Crawford and Eva Herzigova.
I consider also Linda, Christy, Helena, Nadja and few others real supermodels but here in Italy in my case they aren't that famous, not everyone know them while the others mentioned are known from everyone at every age, when you need an example of beauty i've heard many times the name Naomi, Gisele, Kate or Claudia but never Christy or Linda, but maybe in other countries things are different.
Amber Valletta actually is known outside of fashion. She has a respectable career as an actress, and as a model she's done everything, from Gucci to Prada, and from 16 US Vogue covers to hosting HoS.

11-04-2013
hors concours♛

^ Christy also said she gets unfollowed when people realize she mostly uses her twitter for advocacy issues.

Fame and popularity is a factor but shouldn't be the only one. Bar Refaeli is a perfect example of that. She has popularity but a very weak modeling career and gets called a supermodel all the time which I dont think is right to put her in the same category of Linda,Naomi and co.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by anlabe32 View Post
Amber Valletta actually is known outside of fashion. She has a respectable career as an actress, and as a model she's done everything, from Gucci to Prada, and from 16 US Vogue covers to hosting HoS.
Amber is definitely a supermodel to me. And having a role on Revenge has helped raised her profile. I'm not sure why Amber and Eva are on the Icons list when they are both supermodels.

As for Heidi, she got her fame before Project Runway so I consider her to be a supermodel. Just not in the conquering all fashion worlds like the other supers and certainly not in the way that Models.com describe in that list.
Quote:
Experience the supermodels ranking: celebrity models with public recognition in and out of fashion. The mononymous beauties who currently hold dominion over the best in covers, campaigns, and headline-making fashion moments.
When was the last time any of that applied to Heidi?

12-04-2013
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by anlabe32 View Post
You know how i love Amber but in my life i've never heard her name from other people, when i saw Revenge with my sister she told me: "Who's she"? For sure she's more well known than the others mentioned but i doubt she has this big fame unfortunately, i'm pretty sure all the celebrities know her but i doubt general public from every states know her name or who she's.

13-04-2013
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariann View Post
Interesting point you made there, what do you mean by larger than life personalities- does this mean when models are all singing, dancing, pulling silly faces behind the scene or backstage shoots/ shows?
There's that which many people here may think is annoying but what makes people remember the model. Remember when Gisele or Tyra did the VS show and the theatrics they did backstage. Also being able to confidently sit through a backstage or talkshow interview and make people laugh and remember you is a quality of a potential supermodel. As for twitter and facebook followers I think they do matter in this age. In the days of Christy and Cindy the internet wasnt as prominent as it is today but in this age where your twitter followers guage your popularity it does matter.

Last edited by Urban Stylin; 13-04-2013 at 03:12 AM.
20-04-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelabella
Luca: Linda and Christy were always the fashion darlings. They were HUGE in the 90s but never the sex symbols ala Cindy and Claudia were. Christy has even stated her biggest fanbase were females. "the men loved Cindy."
, oh yeah, it's true! I know Christy was huge in the 90s but as far as I can remember these 2 ladies were the biggest models back in the day at least in my country

theplace.ru

Last edited by Sweet rus; 20-04-2013 at 03:43 PM.
20-04-2013
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaNatashaFan View Post
Exactly Michela!!! On twitter Christy hasn't 100k yet while Kate Upton is almost at 900k
People follow the trends not who you are, not everyone of course and i'm sure if you ask them what do you know about Kate Upton's career they don't even know how to answer, only about SI maybe, so i don't care about twitter or other things.
Look at Carolyn Murphy, she's a 90's supermodel with 10k of followers and Carmen Kass with neither 1k and she's on twitter from many months :O
Now we all know that if Twitter, FB, etc. existed back then when Naomi and the gang were at their peak, they would have had 1 million+ followers easily. Its just different times. Models today have a MUCH bigger platform but also have less of a chance to become a star. Times change.

backstage pass

Here in Portugal it was all about Cindy, Claudia and Naomi. I only got to know Christy later! But here man preferred Claudia (and I think she was the most famous one here), since Cindy looks a bit like a portuguese girl.

front row

What about models who use their life styles to reach out to the public, do you think that can lead to progress in their careers and a supermodel title?

I know Claudia and Cindy both brought out their fitness work outs, they opened a cafe along with Naomi too and was Christy part of it?

Just saying bringing out a healthy lifestyle will increase their status and they may be viewed upon as more inspiring and can reach out to the public.

What do you guys think about the whole life style in connection with being a part of a supermodel?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
makes, supermodel