How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-03-2005
tfs star

christy turlington and cindy crawford was the best

18-03-2005
JHB
rising star

Of course Gisele Bundchen and Kate Moss are Supemodels, no doubt about it, but Cindy , Claudia and Naomi were more than that, they were mega celebrities, Pop Idols, Icons.

This week Cindy was in Mexico modelling 5 minutes, she was paid $100,000, and was called "the immortal". she was also in Spain, UK and Germany in less than 1 week, In mexico nobody knows who is Daria, Gemma and all those freaks, but if you says "Claudia", "Naomi", "Cindy", "Christy", "Linda", all of them know who they are.

18-03-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanaLucas
...or Christy Turlington and Linda Evangelista. Kate Moss, at this point, I would say *is* up there with Linda, Christy, Claudia, Naomi and Cindy.

No way. And if Gisele sticks to her own words and soon exits the fashion world, she'll never reach their status in the fashion world. Looking back at all the mag covers and runway shows of the late 80s/early 90s -- Linda and Christy were literally everywhere. They seriously ruled. Sure, Gisele is popular for a model at *this* time and era, but in no way equals the models from the original supermodel era. You can't even compare the two eras.

Regards, Shana
Gisele isn't exactly famous for sticking to her words. She recently said in a press conference that she would NOT be quitting soon. But she would be doing fewer runway shows. But I still don't see her as having great staying power. I don't think she's aging well, and she's losing the qualities that made her special to begin with.

23-04-2006
backstage pass

Define A Supermodel
Define a supermodel in two to three sentences, without giving out names of supermodels.

23-04-2006
V.I.P.

posh - annoying - fishy

fortunately my (few) fave models seem to have learnt lessons from the past.

tfs star

You have an obsession with that word...

A supermodel to me is someone with a lot of editorial work, and an equal amount of commercial work. Someone who is known by her first name.

V.I.P.

^ are you saying that to me or to the starter of the thread?

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by eword
^ are you saying that to me or to the starter of the thread?
No the starter. Lil_flip loves that word- he made this whole big deal about the current supers in the Naomi thread.

Speaking of which, here is my true definition of a supermodel, using a name. Naomi Campbell. Look at her career- its commercial, high fashion, and she is a household name. That is a supermodel.

Cinematic Vision

We already have a similar thread to this Lil_flip246, so I'm going to merge them and perhaps you will find your answer's there

Please make sure you that you use the search function before making new threads in future.

Last edited by boho_babe; 23-04-2006 at 10:24 AM.
23-04-2006
Amour Comme Hiver

I think that it is HILARIOUS that MakeUpJunkie is a Naomi supporter, Lil_Flip246 is 100% Tyra, and you two basically hate one another, like they do. It's highly amusing.

Supermodel- A woman who the general public knows by her first name, but at the same time she is just as popular in the high fashion world as she is mainstream. It was easy to call the models of yesteryear super because at that time big designers didn't feel the need to use wafer-thin china dolls that the general public can't relate to and don't find attractive. Gisele and Kate are arguably the only supers out there, because they are both attractive to normal people. Daria and Liya are the only two top models now that I could see getting any super title in the near future. Naomi, Cindy, Christy, Claudia, and perhaps Elle MacPherson are the originals.

23-04-2006
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoticKharma
I think that it is HILARIOUS that MakeUpJunkie is a Naomi supporter, Lil_Flip246 is 100% Tyra, and you two basically hate one another, like they do. It's highly amusing.

Supermodel- A woman who the general public knows by her first name, but at the same time she is just as popular in the high fashion world as she is mainstream. It was easy to call the models of yesteryear super because at that time big designers didn't feel the need to use wafer-thin china dolls that the general public can't relate to and don't find attractive. Gisele and Kate are arguably the only supers out there, because they are both attractive to normal people. Daria and Liya are the only two top models now that I could see getting any super title in the near future. Naomi, Cindy, Christy, Claudia, and perhaps Elle MacPherson are the originals.
I agree with almost everything in that post. I would add that Gemma might be a super one day- she has gotten an article and cover in TeenVogue- that got her more personal exposure to the general public.

princely

I wouldn't call models like:

[Tyra-VS only
or
Heidi-mainly only VS]

supermodels because they are not able to ride both high fashion and commercial work at the same time. They may be famous but if they were 'super' models, they should have the 'super' power to do both.

As for the closer things to a 'supermodel' today, even though there truly isnt any around, it would be

Gisele-VS, and everything as well
Kate Moss-Everything, brands such as rimmel
Karolina Kurkova-VS, US Vogue editorials

...then we have the higher fashion girls who are sort of there, but not quite such as Amber Valetta (Who acts as well).

Last edited by yourbestfriend; 23-04-2006 at 11:39 AM.
23-04-2006
tfs star

I think just being a household name like Tyra, Heidi, or Adriana makes you a super.

Being a household name while balancing high fashion and commercial work makes you a super.

V.I.P.

I don't think a supermodel has to be high-fashion. As long as their household names they qualify.

Basically all of the VS girls are regarded as supermodels.

23-04-2006
fashion insider

I would say a supermodel is one who manages to be successfully walk the balance between high fashion and commercial work, while also being embraced in pop culture as a celebrity and household name.

Truly, I only consider supermodels to be those from the '80s-'90s. Kate Moss was arguably the last of them. If the term is applied to today's girls, it still doesn't have the same merits as it did then because the industry is totally different.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
makes, supermodel