How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

30-12-2004
front row

What's it like backstage at a fashion show?
I've never been backstage at a fashion show but to those who have or know about it, exactly how is it like? I mean, you read about how the more exprienced models would gather together and talk in their little circles while the new bloods keep to themselves, and how some models wouldn't help one another out if one broke a heel or lost their make up bag... Are these myths? Also there's those stories about the champaign and alcohol and drugs, or was that more the 80's? I'm just really interested in knowing what goes on backstage at a fashion show!(*i don't think there's already a topic on these but if there is please delete this thread!)

30-12-2004
front row

I want to know too.

30-12-2004
fashion elite

Well, it all depends on the type of show. If it isn't very well ran... then it's really hectic.... but if there's a good instructor and planner... and a nice chunk of rehearsal.... it can be very fun and almost intoxicating...
I love runway.

30-12-2004
windowshopping

it really does depend on the show, like how much money they have spent on their parade, how professional the models are and how old the label is. the newer ones tend to be a lot less organised and hectic, wheras the old ones know what they are doing and are run smoothly. i find that the models are very hospitable to each other and more than willing to help each other out. both types of parades are very fun and a great atmosphere to be a part of. and yes there are copious amounts of alcohol and drugs at all parades!

30-12-2004
Muse

from the backstage pics, it looks like a very hectic BUT friendly place

V.I.P.

you should rent a documentry on it. i saw the issac mizrahi one and his entire show was behind a lit scrim so you could see what it was like backstage.

31-12-2004
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

its one of the most chaotic things that can happen in your life. Ask me i ve been a participating designer at the uganda fashion week for 2 years now. This year was just tragic when our show was next, my partner was taking coffe upstairs so i had to run around looking for her and ended up on the floor literally!!!Then came the models some were missing others couldnt fit into the clothes we had to pin them all and of course theres a tantrum or two! Last year there was this diva-like designer that was throwing tantrums all over the place and telling the models how they looked foolish and all ont eh catwalk. after the rage outburst he decided to rest a very heavy body onto a plastic chair and wha do you know, the chair just gave away but remember no one could laugh>>>
then of course theres a designer showing before you and what do you know, they have the exact fabrics that you used!!
well then theres the obvious drama here and there moody dressers, nude models, fights with the paparazzi and a few almost catfights here and there>>:p

31-12-2004
ɐʎ ʎǝɥ

but like someone said, its still a friendly eviroment with lots of laughs and goofs despite all that

31-12-2004
yes

they are mainly the same.......the one thing which it really depends on though is SPACE

some shows have so little space its rediculous.......and some shows have a LOT of space.

you have the racks of clothes split up for each individual model with the shoes on the floor and their polaroids of them in the outfit stuck to the rack so that the dresser knows how it is supposed to look.

then you have hair and make-up area.....where there are BRIGHT BRIGHT lights and mirrors all accross the wall. girls normally get their hair done first, i think so that if they have clips getting it in shape, it will give it more time to form.

there are always really annoying photographers getting in everyone's way, they normally get asked to leave just before the show starts.

the designers are always really jerked about......they are trying to make sure the models are ok in the clothes and that they look right.....while film crews are trying to get an interview with them etc...

when the guests have all arrived the producer shouts 'FIRST LOOKS' which is when chaos begins, all the models hurry to get into their first outfit, make sure the bottoms of their shoes are scraped with a key so that they dont slip over on the runway, they all line up in the order they are going to go out, one or two people from the hair and makeup team stand there just in case they need some touch ups.
then the designer is standing by the moniter next to the producer watching to make sure everything is ok. the designer normally says something like 'come on you are brilliant' to give them some confidence just before they go out.

then after the show....EVERYONE trys to get backstage......press, photographers, people who just wanna go there etc...

31-12-2004
fashion insider

and i think alot of nakedness

yes

^^ yea that too, you're lucky you havent seen lilyC's naked body

its rather

31-12-2004
trendsetter

^^

And the world will live as one..."
-John Lennon
31-12-2004
I love model_mom!

Good summary Acid and Urban! model_mom and I have been backstage with Ali for a couple of shows during NYC Fashion Week. It is very hectic, but exciting. For instance - backstage at Douglas Hannant it was very coordinated, there were racks of clothes with the models name/picture hanging on it, so that the model would know exactly where to go. They also had a coordinator who greeted the models and told them who would be doing there hair and make-up. Ali had to wait around a little at that show, but there was food/drinks for the models and crew.

Another show that we went backstage with Ali was a complete mess! I am not going to name names, but half of the models didn't know what they were supposed to be wearing and had no shoes! Everyone was rushing around and some of the models were even putting on their own makeup! The show itself was okay, but Ali noticed something was wrong with her eye immediately after the show and when she went to the Dr. the next morning - it was pink eye (conjunctivitis)! Not a great thing to happen during Fashion Week!

Like others have said, it all depends on the space.....basically the budget of the show/designer.

Ali said that she has never had any problems with the models. They have all been basically friendly. They all seem to have fun modeling and it shows..

Last edited by Sloan; 31-12-2004 at 08:47 AM.
31-12-2004
V.I.P.

acid: what fashion shows exactly have you been at? (backstage) and how many?

i always like to read your info, since you really seem to be a true fashion insider, no?

31-12-2004
windowshopping

Yes it is definitely the most chaotic events you'd ever see. Complete chaos. I only worked at 2 shows...the Joop show (fall/winter 2001) and Pierrot (fall/winter 2003) and it was complete chaos. Although I have to admit, the people I worked for were really really nice (and that usually doesn't happen). At Joop, I worked mainly in the main tent, not backstage as much until after the show. Alek Wek was one of the models and so was this guy who's Tommy Hilfiger's main print model. He was really nice cause after the show we were cleaning up backstage and he invited us out to the after party. But let me tell you....the empty bottles of champagne seemed to be endless...they drank so much during the show. Like I'm talking more than 50 bottles. And for Pierrot, they were really really nice too. I even spent a lot of time with the designer who was soooo sweet and so funny. The clothes were really funky and I spent a lot of time steaming them. They also had bottles and bottles of Cristal that we had to find empty cardboard boxes and put garbage bags in them so we could shovel the snow from outside with our bare hands just to keep the bottles cold. But both times they let us watch the entire show (which also doesn't happen very often, either). But it was definitely a good time. I was also signed up to work the BCBG Max Azaria show, but that never ended up working out.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
backstage, fashion