How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
21-10-2005
  1
trendsetter
 
irresistable_loz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sydney
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,063
Who do you consider model icons?
models.com has a top 15 list of what they consider modelling 'icons' which differentiates them from the 'normal' working models, but who does everyone really think is a modelling icon. Personally Kate Moss is the only one that really jumps out at me...

__________________
Sketching her way from here to there.
  Reply With Quote
 
21-10-2005
  2
User Friendly
 
CharlottefromCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lala land
Gender: femme
Posts: 10,946
I think it depends on what group you are talking to... the general public would not know who Natalia Vodianova is... but I'd say in this forum she is considered an icon..

For the general public.. the only ones I'd considered Icons are... Linda Evangelista, Christy Turlington, Naomi Campbell, Kate Moss, Amber Valetta, and Claudia Schiffer.. maybe in a couple of years Giselle and maybe Karolina and Natalia in the future also..

  Reply With Quote
21-10-2005
  3
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,289
Yeah, thinking about the icons the old school supermodels come to mind. I'll think of who other than Kate Moss it may be for now and maybe post listing them later.

__________________
tumblr
NATALIA IS :LOVE:
  Reply With Quote
21-10-2005
  4
front row
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 244
Cindy Crawford is the major Icon talking in terms of popularity, she was a cultural impact for the society in general.

  Reply With Quote
21-10-2005
  5
User Friendly
 
CharlottefromCA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lala land
Gender: femme
Posts: 10,946
Oh I thought she was only talking about the models listed on models.com icon list... otherwise I would definately include Cindy Crawford, also... Twiggy, Jean Shrimpton, Cheryl Tiegs, Iman and others..

Here's the list on Models.com though..... there's some odd choices in there IMO

1.Gisele/IMG (FW/ 05: St John's, Gaultier, Victoria's Secret)
2.Kate Moss/IMG (FW/05 Dior,Burberry, Rimmel,)
3.Carolyn Murphy/IMG (FW/05: Estee Lauder, Fendi)
4.Erin Wasson/IMG (FW/05:Armani, Micheal Kors, Lagerfeld Gallery)
5.Amber Valetta/DNA (FW/05: David Yurman, )
6.Carmen Kass/Women (FW/ 05 :Calvin)
7. Karen Elson/DNA (FW 05: Escada)
8.Liya Kebede/IMG(FW/05:Estee Lauder, Escada)
9.Natalia Vodionova/DNA (FW/05: Calvin Klein Collection)
10.Linda Evangelista/DNA
11.Claudia Schiffer/UTA (L'Oreal, Ebel)
12.Christy Turlington/UTA: (FW/05: Bottega Veneta)
13.Naomi Campbell/1 Mgmt(FW/O5)
14.Bridget Hall/IMG(FW/05)
15.Karolina Kurkova/DNA (FW/05: Jones New York)

  Reply With Quote
21-10-2005
  6
fashion insider
 
sepia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,191
The "trinity", plus Kate, Twiggy, Christy and Iman

  Reply With Quote
21-10-2005
  7
front row
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottefromCA
Oh I thought she was only talking about the models listed on models.com icon list... otherwise I would definately include Cindy Crawford, also... Twiggy, Jean Shrimpton, Cheryl Tiegs, Iman and others..

Here's the list on Models.com though..... there's some odd choices in there IMO

1.Gisele/IMG (FW/ 05: St John's, Gaultier, Victoria's Secret)
2.Kate Moss/IMG (FW/05 Dior,Burberry, Rimmel,)
3.Carolyn Murphy/IMG (FW/05: Estee Lauder, Fendi)
4.Erin Wasson/IMG (FW/05:Armani, Micheal Kors, Lagerfeld Gallery)
5.Amber Valetta/DNA (FW/05: David Yurman, )
6.Carmen Kass/Women (FW/ 05 :Calvin)
7. Karen Elson/DNA (FW 05: Escada)
8.Liya Kebede/IMG(FW/05:Estee Lauder, Escada)
9.Natalia Vodionova/DNA (FW/05: Calvin Klein Collection)
10.Linda Evangelista/DNA
11.Claudia Schiffer/UTA (L'Oreal, Ebel)
12.Christy Turlington/UTA: (FW/05: Bottega Veneta)
13.Naomi Campbell/1 Mgmt(FW/O5)
14.Bridget Hall/IMG(FW/05)
15.Karolina Kurkova/DNA (FW/05: Jones New York)

may you post a direct link? I dont find it.

  Reply With Quote
21-10-2005
  8
trendsetter
 
irresistable_loz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sydney
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,063
http://models.com/model_culture/50topmodels/ ^^^

__________________
Sketching her way from here to there.
  Reply With Quote
21-10-2005
  9
go red sox
 
peacelover142002's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Undisclosed
Gender: femme
Posts: 7,524
gemma, daria, heidi, gisele, tyra, kate, naomi, etc.

__________________
watercolors. riveting nonfiction. noodles.
  Reply With Quote
21-10-2005
  10
V.I.P.
 
OMIFAN9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Gender: femme
Posts: 8,788
Without bias or one particular time My picks are: First off I have to say The Holy Trinity(Naomi Campbell, Linda Evangelista & Christy Turlington). With that said there is also: Twiggy, Beverly Johnson, Iman, Christie Brinkley(Although not my taste, she was super popular) & Cindy Crawford.
Why? They are groundbreakers(Race or look wise), they stood out among the girls of their day, success, diversity, well known and liked for the most part & longevity. If any of these girls were to stop and some have, people will continue to bring them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0024.jpg (51.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg CHRISTIE BRINKLEY 1988b.jpg (76.4 KB, 0 views)


Last edited by OMIFAN9; 28-01-2007 at 12:45 PM.
  Reply With Quote
21-10-2005
  11
V.I.P.
 
OriginalSin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: over the Williamsburg bridge on a bike
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,339
i think models.com is using that word "icons" way too loosely...perhaps they should've said something along to lines of "established" or some synonym thereof. models i consider icons: linda, naomi, christy, cindy (not on list), kate, claudia, christie (also not on list), iman (not on list). gisele in a few years as Charlotte stated. then there's heidi klum, tho i cant stand her, but she's mainstream, popular, and known by everyone; tyra banks also a celeb at this point. i mean basically those women who have achieved popular enough status to be well known by the public could be considered icons on some level...

__________________
"Hey open wide here comes original sin" -Regina Spektor

MONAJ.NET IS BACK: updated May 19
twitter.com/beyondrecovery
  Reply With Quote
21-10-2005
  12
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Gender: homme
Posts: 4,073
Christy Brinkley was big? She is not to my taste either I also don't get Cindy but the rest are amazing

  Reply With Quote
21-10-2005
  13
V.I.P.
 
OMIFAN9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Gender: femme
Posts: 8,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaInLondon
Christy Brinkley was big? She is not to my taste either I also don't get Cindy but the rest are amazing
Again, one of my best qualities is I like to be fair. I don't really like swimsuit models or most of the waifs. But if you've got the goods than what can ya say. Christie Brinkley was hot, she is still in Covergirl ads today after 20+ years. She was it in the late 70's, up until the time of the Supermodel. Cindy is not my absolute fav but she is enjoyable and can't be denied.

  Reply With Quote
21-10-2005
  14
V.I.P.
 
OriginalSin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: over the Williamsburg bridge on a bike
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMIFAN9
Again, one of my best qualities is I like to be fair. I don't really like swimsuit models or most of the waifs. But if you've got the goods than what can ya say. Christie Brinkley was hot, she is still in Covergirl ads today after 20+ years. She was it in the late 70's, up until the time of the Supermodel. Cindy is not my absolute fav but she is enjoyable and can't be denied.
exactly. well said. i mean the person doesnt have to be one of my favorites for me to give them their due. kate moss isnt one of my favorites but i'm not going to sit around and pretend that she hasnt had an impact on the industry and stuff.

__________________
"Hey open wide here comes original sin" -Regina Spektor

MONAJ.NET IS BACK: updated May 19
twitter.com/beyondrecovery
  Reply With Quote
21-10-2005
  15
V.I.P.
 
OMIFAN9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Gender: femme
Posts: 8,788
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginalSin
exactly. well said. i mean the person doesnt have to be one of my favorites for me to give them their due. kate moss isnt one of my favorites but i'm not going to sit around and pretend that she hasnt had an impact on the industry and stuff.
Thanks again, it's nice to have people such as yourself around.

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
icons, model
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. 2014 All rights reserved.