How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
05-02-2006
  16
backstage pass
 
AshtonK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlottefromCA
What about Doutzen? I think she's gorgeous and she has the type of sex appeal that'll appeal to all, lets not forget men account for 50% of the population and if you want to be a household name you have to appeal to everyone.

With the CK Eternity ads and VS runway show, and Valentino's love for her.. I can really see her becoming huge in the next couple of years.

IMO I love Daria and Gemma and Stam, but I don't really see them becoming the next Giselle anytime soon. I think Daria can make it big, but in a Shalom Harlow kind of way (if that makes sense..), she'll be a legend in the fashion industry, but a relatively lowkey celebrity in the mainstream world. Gemma is one of a kind, but if she is going to make it big she is going to do it with her acting talent or something, I think her look is too polarizing for the mainstream. Stam is gorgeous to me, and I really like her look, but many people find her look off-putting.

I think Natalia would have a great shot, but I think maybe she's content with being the supermodel / NYC celebrity.. and there's nothing wrong with that, she's married and has wondeful children.

Overall my bet would be on Doutzen.
Yeah, I forgot about Doutzen. After her stint at the 2005 Victoria Secret show, she's ostensibly poised to become The Next Big Thing--or least something near it. Her looks are harmless enough to appeal to masses, a la Claudia Schiffer, but in terms of public image, she doesn't come across as a particularly engaging person. At least Natalia V has that husky Russian charm and Daria her earthy, homegrown approachableness. Doutzen's just...eh.

  Reply With Quote
 
05-02-2006
  17
V.I.P.
 
laurlaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,531
Doutzen doesn't really have much personality and there isn't much special about her. She's very safe-looking. I think Natalia missed the window to becoming a supermodel, the same with most of the other girls who have been major models for awhile.

__________________
I love cornbread so much, I wanna go behind the middle school and get it pregnant
  Reply With Quote
05-02-2006
  18
tfs star
 
oxymoron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Durham
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,747
I thought Karolina had the chance, but I think her being an "Angel" now will unfortunately mean no more high fashion stuff.

  Reply With Quote
05-02-2006
  19
God Save McQueen
 
masquerade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: lost angeles
Gender: femme
Posts: 8,129
i really see doutzen as being the next karolina. not gisele status, but up there. shes gorgeous, she could be with vs for years and years

  Reply With Quote
06-02-2006
  20
tfs star
 
PussyLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,732
seemed like nobody's up for the Job.

How about Natasha Poly? The only that concerns me about Poly is.......everytime I see her backstage pic, she seemed like playing on her cell phone or Ipod. Lol. So much for a personality. Unlike Gisele who knows how to work the media just as much as the runway!

  Reply With Quote
06-02-2006
  21
tfs star
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Earth
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by masquerade
i really see doutzen as being the next karolina. not gisele status, but up there. shes gorgeous, she could be with vs for years and years
Yeah, I agree. I think that could maybe happen in the next couple of years.

  Reply With Quote
06-02-2006
  22
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,289
I agree with that it probably takes more than big success in the industry for a model to become a celebrity. Out of all the girls mentioned previously, the one standing closest to the celebrity status is Natalia Vodianova, but the "problem" with her is that she's married and is a mother, and, despite of being a well-known socialite, her only major activity outside of her job and family is running her charity fund, which is something that will make you a respected personality, but won't really take you to the stardom, 'cause it is of no interest for tabloids. As it was already said before, you need to know how to work the press in a drastically different way.

Daria, I think, is the one who can be refered to as the top-model of the moment. She is being recognizes not only by the people interested in fashion. But, yeah, she won't really make it big outside of modeling if she won't be making scandals, dating celebrity men, etc.. Something she seems to have no interest in.

As to Jessica... You know what ? Unless, you're an American, it doesn't make much sense. Living where I am, far, far away from American tabloids, I found it kinda strange that people on the previous page have put her on the same level in terms of supermodel potential as Gemma and Daria. To me, it looks like picking out any random girl out of the bunch walking runways and naming her a supermodel to be. It feels so to me, 'cause I have know idea about her boyfriend and stuff...

Gemma needs to grow up before anything could be said. She is simply not sexy enough, just yet, to appeal to the masses.

Natasha Poly. She is the girl who I think will be the next first face of the industry. But, once again, chances of her becoming a star outside of it are tiny.

I really don't think Sasha P. will get anywhere near that either. I don't even think that she will stay as big in the industry as she is now. Or, say, I hope she won't. Hopefully, she's a temporary occurrence.

So, basically, it looks like we will be living in the era of anonymous models for some more time... Which, if you ask me, is nothing, but good.

__________________
tumblr
NATALIA IS :LOVE:
  Reply With Quote
07-02-2006
  23
V.I.P.
 
eword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: italia
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionkitten7
Daria, I think, is the one who can be refered to as the top-model of the moment. She is being recognizes not only by the people interested in fashion. But, yeah, she won't really make it big outside of modeling if she won't be making scandals, dating celebrity men, etc.. Something she seems to have no interest in.
So, basically, it looks like we will be living in the era of anonymous models for some more time... Which, if you ask me, is nothing, but good.
I 100% agree.

the crucial moment for daria is now. if she doesn't change her attitude this year, imo she won't make it big as a celebrity... fortunately! when i hear ppl saying she'll become the new gisele, i'm s-c-a-r-e-d. no, please no! nothing against gisele, but that kind of stardom doesn't meet my tastes and i don't have any nostalgia of supermodels' era. i prefer intellectual cultish models.

  Reply With Quote
07-02-2006
  24
fashion insider
 
Joseph26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionkitten7

So, basically, it looks like we will be living in the era of anonymous models for some more time... Which, if you ask me, is nothing, but good.
smart comment, karma for you

  Reply With Quote
07-02-2006
  25
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph26
smart comment, karma for you
Actually, I didn't recieve any karma from you when I checked just now, but thanks anyways.

__________________
tumblr
NATALIA IS :LOVE:
  Reply With Quote
07-02-2006
  26
fashion insider
 
Joseph26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionkitten7
Actually, I didn't recieve any karma from you when I checked just now, but thanks anyways.
done! , KARMA 4 you right now!

  Reply With Quote
07-02-2006
  27
front row
 
kim_tominaga's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 238
Here's my opinion, I think that back in the year when Naomi and Kate ruled the world, there was a big push naturaly. The demand to see these girls was extraordinarily high. Because of this, they naturally got the attention because of the demand. All those famous ex-superones broke out really fast and at a simultaneous time as well. When there is no demand, however, it becomes very difficult to throw yourself out there even if an agency does it for them. In summary, Naomi's time was a fashion FAD, that faded away. I love fashion and plan to enter into the business in the future so I have no bias toward this.
But, I am simply stating the facts by the trend that there obviously is.

I don't see Gemma or Daria becoming like Naomi any time during there career. One, because there is no demand like there was back then, two, they lack somewhat sex appeal that men and women want, and three, they lack the stereotypical "Bad Girl'' Mentality that hollywood wants. Let's face it, hollywood catapults people into stardom.

In conclusion, I don't see anyone becoming like Naomi until that demand is somehow lifted, which trend wise speaking, that doesn't happen.

I'm afraid the definition of a Fad will meet its destination.

  Reply With Quote
07-02-2006
  28
fashion insider
 
Joseph26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim_tominaga
Here's my opinion, I think that back in the year when Naomi and Kate ruled the world, there was a big push naturaly. The demand to see these girls was extraordinarily high. Because of this, they naturally got the attention because of the demand. All those famous ex-superones broke out really fast and at a simultaneous time as well. When there is no demand, however, it becomes very difficult to throw yourself out there even if an agency does it for them. In summary, Naomi's time was a fashion FAD, that faded away. I love fashion and plan to enter into the business in the future so I have no bias toward this.
But, I am simply stating the facts by the trend that there obviously is.

I don't see Gemma or Daria becoming like Naomi any time during there career. One, because there is no demand like there was back then, two, they lack somewhat sex appeal that men and women want, and three, they lack the stereotypical "Bad Girl'' Mentality that hollywood wants. Let's face it, hollywood catapults people into stardom.

In conclusion, I don't see anyone becoming like Naomi until that demand is somehow lifted, which trend wise speaking, that doesn't happen.

I'm afraid the definition of a Fad will meet its destination.
WOW!, another great post, KARMA!!!!!!!

When the Supermodels ruled the world it was all about their personalities, they were Divas, especially Linda-Naomi-Christy, they all had a strong personality, a little bitchy, they were greater than the designers and photographers, I really doubt that it's going to happen again.

  Reply With Quote
07-02-2006
  29
V.I.P.
 
eword's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: italia
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,621
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim_tominaga
Here's my opinion, I think that back in the year when Naomi and Kate ruled the world, there was a big push naturaly. The demand to see these girls was extraordinarily high. Because of this, they naturally got the attention because of the demand. All those famous ex-superones broke out really fast and at a simultaneous time as well. When there is no demand, however, it becomes very difficult to throw yourself out there even if an agency does it for them. In summary, Naomi's time was a fashion FAD, that faded away. I love fashion and plan to enter into the business in the future so I have no bias toward this.
But, I am simply stating the facts by the trend that there obviously is.

I don't see Gemma or Daria becoming like Naomi any time during there career. One, because there is no demand like there was back then, two, they lack somewhat sex appeal that men and women want, and three, they lack the stereotypical "Bad Girl'' Mentality that hollywood wants. Let's face it, hollywood catapults people into stardom.

In conclusion, I don't see anyone becoming like Naomi until that demand is somehow lifted, which trend wise speaking, that doesn't happen.

I'm afraid the definition of a Fad will meet its destination.
i agree.
the only thing i disagree is about daria's sex appeal. that looks enormous to me, but it may depend on me being gay. i know that a lot of men don't find her appealing. instead i have straight female friends who go crazy for her. well, i'm going off topic. just one last thing. i don't have any nostalgia of all those divas who ruled the fashion world during my teen-age. it's not my thing, i like these new girls who are beautiful and simple.

  Reply With Quote
07-02-2006
  30
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph26
done! , KARMA 4 you right now!
Thank You ! Oh, well, I actually doubted someone would even read such a long post...

__________________
tumblr
NATALIA IS :LOVE:
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
supermodels
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. 2014 All rights reserved.