How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-02-2006
V.I.P.

I did it too! I love articulate posts.

07-02-2006
windowshopping

WHOA didn't see that coming. It almost felt like i was reading The Economist

Kim Tominaga are you an economist because you made perfect sense and I almost cried when I read what you wrote because it is sooo true.

Everyone needs to read ^^^^^. Isn't it great, sorry for my excitement

Kim t. Double karma for you

07-02-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by eword
I 100% agree.

the crucial moment for daria is now. if she doesn't change her attitude this year, imo she won't make it big as a celebrity...
I agree with this. And I would love to see Daria become the next supermodel, but I have to be honest and say that I don't know if she really wants that for herself. In an interview today she said that she didn't really miss being on the runway, and that-paraphrasing here-she basically doesn't feel comfortable in the spotlight. But she has reached the peak of her 'regular model' potential imo, she can't continue forever on the same pace she is now, she'll either have to choose to push it to the next level, as in supermodel, or quit.

The thing is, I think a new supermodel needs to re-define the term in a modern context. They can't be the next Cindy, Naomi, Kate, or Gisele, because each of those girls redefined supermodel in different terms anyway. I think that a girl could be a supermodel without being bitchy or always in the midst of some scandal; but I do think she will have to choose to be in the public spotlight on a constant basis.

Last edited by Callidora; 07-02-2006 at 07:20 PM.
07-02-2006
windowshopping

^, sorry, I must disagree, I believe kim tominaga. We won't see any model now a days reach what she is talking about for a very long time. She had perfectly valid reasons for her sayings.

07-02-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreaumachine
^, sorry, I must disagree, I believe kim tominaga. We won't see any model now a days reach what she is talking about for a very long time. She had perfectly valid reasons for her sayings.
What??? Did I say someone didn't have valid reasons?!? I am just making my own arguments for what I think. Sorry, I didn't know that the discussion was supposed to be finished after one person makes a good point.

07-02-2006
tfs star

A modern-day Supermodel should.....

*be on (the illusive) US Vogue Covers 3-4x a year ( ala Gisele back in her prime).

*does Big name Runway shows

*should date a rockstar, or rising actor ( always a sure thing for press publicity)

*does music video and TV shows

*She needs to do the Victoria's Secret Runway Show!

* needs to have a Good girl (as seen on Charity events) and Bad girl ( P Diddy's Party) persona.

* She got to know how to walk, and talk and must be uber photogenic!!!

anything else????

07-02-2006
V.I.P.

^I think she needs to have a major campaign, something that reaches everyone. So it could be VS, big cosmetic campaign, or a lower-end clothing company. And they need to be on the covers of other popular magazines (i.e. Cosmo, Allure, Bazaar). Just a way to show they do model.

fashion insider

^ and don't forget the most important thing, she has to be a real beauty (ala Cindy C), with a classic face (ala Paulina Porizkova), long hair and killer body (ala Claudia Schiffer), charisma (Heidi Klum), star attitude (Naomi), chamaleonic (Linda), sexy (Stephanie) and classy (Christy T) .........................

of course NO bugs, NO Aliens, NO waifs ........

08-02-2006
front row

It wont happen again... doubt we will see another Super era or at least anytime soon. All the talk of what time they came out or who they dated is just the extra frosting on the cake cause you can't argue with the talent, appeal, uniqueness and smarts of Christy-Naomi-Linda-Cindy and some of the others give them their props its a total thing thats indiscrible

08-02-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
NY Fashion Week brings out the stars from rising supermodel Daria to Nicole Richie, Jeremy Kost was there to bath them in his limelight.
from models.com

08-02-2006
V.I.P.

The Name behind the model
Back in the day before the word "supermodel" ever flowed from the lips of fashionistas people always see the face and rarely seen the name behind the face. When Calvin Klein did the infamous commercial with Brooke Shields it inadvertedly sparked people's interests -- in the world of fashion. Linda, Christy, Naomi etc. came in at the right place at the right time. Media focus on these fresh young faces , editors jumped on the bandwagon and plastered them in adverts, commericials, magazines. Their names print in bold... people are now able to put a face with a name. Wonders of advertising.

Fashion shows in NYC wasn't a big deal and it was often done in designer's showroom with as little as 20 people if that in attendance. When the masses can be heard saying "Christy", "Linda" a noncelebrity it soon send waves of interests in Modeling and in Fashion alike from the public. Eileen and Jerry (Ford) soon became synonymous. FORD was put in the forefront. And right behind it ELITE. Calvin Klein, again, made headwaves when he put a young Kate Moss, topless and in jeans in billboards and ads with the heroin chic written all over it from fashion journalists alike, it not only became scandulous it also put the industry in the same position. People wanted more. They want the name behind all the models and soon the birth of 1993 7th on Sixth. Designers at that time wanted to ride the wave of the 'supermodels' in the forefront to give publicity and notoriety to their names.

*Fashion than was just focus on the latest trend and never the model. Nowadays we look at the model and THAN the clothes, most of the time.

Funny how it all began with the Supermodel mystique.

08-02-2006
front row

She also needs to do Sports Illustrated!

08-02-2006
V.I.P.

...but is it time for a new supermodel ? hmm... well it all depends if you're referring to the supermodel status within the industry or commercially. Just like some people here have said unless she's dating a Hollywood bad boy , or a high profiled musician , you'd have to wait another year or the year after or the year after that and so on.

*Daria, Jessica, Jeisa and Gemma maybe be the supermodel for the fashionistas but like the article said, "the average joe don't know her and don't care".

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartarse
Back in the day before the word "supermodel" ever flowed from the lips of fashionistas people always see the face and rarely seen the name behind the face. When Calvin Klein did the infamous commercial with Brooke Shields it inadvertedly sparked people's interests -- in the world of fashion. Linda, Christy, Naomi etc. came in at the right place at the right time. Media focus on these fresh young faces , editors jumped on the bandwagon and plastered them in adverts, commericials, magazines. Their names print in bold... people are now able to put a face with a name. Wonders of advertising.

Fashion shows in NYC wasn't a big deal and it was often done in designer's showroom with as little as 20 people if that in attendance. When the masses can be heard saying "Christy", "Linda" a noncelebrity it soon send waves of interests in Modeling and in Fashion alike from the public. Eileen and Jerry (Ford) soon became synonymous. FORD was put in the forefront. And right behind it ELITE. Calvin Klein, again, made headwaves when he put a young Kate Moss, topless and in jeans in billboards and ads with the heroin chic written all over it from fashion journalists alike, it not only became scandulous it also put the industry in the same position. People wanted more. They want the name behind all the models and soon the birth of 1993 7th on Sixth. Designers at that time wanted to ride the wave of the 'supermodels' in the forefront to give publicity and notoriety to their names.

*Fashion than was just focus on the latest trend and never the model. Nowadays we look at the model and THAN the clothes, most of the time.

Funny how it all began with the Supermodel mystique.

08-02-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph26

of course NO bugs, NO Aliens, NO waifs ........
Hahaha... that was funny

By the way, isn't one of the Supers a life-long waif ?

Last edited by fashionkitten7; 08-02-2006 at 05:46 PM.
08-02-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartarse
...but is it time for a new supermodel ? hmm... well it all depends if you're referring to the supermodel status within the industry or commercially. Just like some people here have said unless she's dating a Hollywood bad boy , or a high profiled musician , you'd have to wait another year or the year after or the year after that and so on.

*Daria, Jessica, Jeisa and Gemma maybe be the supermodel for the fashionistas but like the article said, "the average joe don't know her and don't care".
i agree (as usual ).
i think we don't have to take the term 'supermodel' literally. or better, i don't think that when we see daria defined as supermodel or rising supermodel we can really compare her to the old supermodels.
we have more or less filled the list of what a supermodel requires and daria doesn't have most of it. neither she seems to be interested in having.

seen the gap between high fashion and commercial stuff, probably it's the brazilians and the vs angels who have taken the place of the old supermodels.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
supermodels