How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-04-2008
front row

when I watch the show its for pure entertainment...I know none of these girls are really going to brake into the business---and honestly, thats totally OK with me. I think that the show tries really hard to be "serious" about teaching these girls to model sometimes, and when those scenes come up, they are stupid and kind of cheesy.
The reality is that most people don't care about what makes a editorial special, or what kind of poses make your legs look best in a photo--they care about the drama involved in it all...ANTM gives you tons of that, and that's why IMO, "real" models never come out of that show---its not worth it for them to be so invested in a girl

12-04-2008
V.I.P.

It sucks because they pick sucky models. and when they pick models who actually could model they kick them off.
Makes good tv, not good models.

12-04-2008
V.I.P.

^

fashion elite

i think its because it too commercial. its gone on for too many seasons. like germany's next top model, they havent 'harvested' any talent

12-04-2008
backstage pass

Mchunu<3 ,who is the model in your avatar? And which magazine is it from?

Luv the way he posed!!

12-04-2008
barack and roll

I just tend to think the show is more about Tyra than it is about any of the other girls or about finding good models. When I found out she was thinking of passing off her show to someone else I got quite excited. I agree with what a lot of people said, many factors play into it. Bottom line- they do it for the ratings. So even if girls like Katarzyna or Anya are better models they are both pretty quiet so they'd rather keep someone like say..Danielle or Fatima because they are bound to cause drama. Some of the girls who have not won have done well, but for example I'll be surprised if Katarzyna makes it much further because it seems to me every time this show actually lands someone who COULD model they get kicked off. I don't understand it myself. I like some aspects of the show, like my girl Whitney but the show is not really a model search so much as..your a-typical reality show in which prizes are rewarded and people get their glorious 15 minutes. No one can take them seriously because not a single one of them have done as well as say Ksenia or Alice. Cause let's face it. Gucci > Apple Bottoms. I have even noticed that when they center the episode on a girl, that girl gets kicked off! They don't even TRY anymore. It is too bad shows like Petra's were not more popular because that seemed a bit more rooted in the actual fashion industry instead of ratings and reality tv.

12-04-2008
trendsetter

I also think it's because ANTM takes the mystery out of the girls. We see them talk, shout, eat, cry, anything short of going to the loo. It is so extremely overexposed that no high fashion magazine or designer would ever want to touch those girls.

Let's face it how many ever watched finland's or russia’s next top model? 99% of people wouldn’t know that suvi or ksenia came out of those shows. So when they see them in a high fashion campaign their thoughts don’t automatically drift towards some cheesy reality TV-show and then (consciously or subconsciously) associate the designer with that.

ANTM makes the “wonderful world of fashion” too accessible for the masses, it looses its glossy façade and haughty image. Your not supposed to look at a model and go “oh what a stupid, crying cow she was!” but “what a beautiful creature, maybe if I buy that dress I will look like her!”

Then obviously there is also the pressure to get good ratings, and a lot of people don't find the models who are really succesful today attractive. They have to find girls who will appeal to the mainstream viewer.

tfs star

It sucks because it is only about the ratings and NOT finding a real model.

Only Yoanna House was a worthy winner...the rest are whack. Danielle could not even speak properly.

Naima...blah, but Cardiee was the WORST...along with that Jaslene the drag queen looking one with her annoying voice

fashion insider

I also have to say that none of those girls do really have model potential. Some of them are not even pretty or just your avarage girl!!

12-04-2008
fashion elite

^^ well u'd think after so many seasons i doubt they can still find much talent

12-04-2008
windowshopping

I think it's due to over-exposure. Girls who are in the spotlight on a non-respected show are not likely to do well.

12-04-2008
fashion elite

^^true.

it was quiet exciting when it first started but like most reality shows the excitment wears off

12-04-2008
tfs star

I agree with you miss_nyc. Yoanna was the best winner so far. She has a high fashion look.

Adrienne (Season 1) couldn't care less about fashion and went straight to Playboy. she said it herself that she only wanted the money from modeling.

Yoanna (Season 2) gorgeous face. Photographs beautifully but I wish she would have tried on her own because that show ruined everything for her.

Eva (Season 3) I don't understand this girl at all! she is too short and isn't that pretty.

Naima (Season 4) She's ok but she's already over modeling.

Nicole (Cycle 5) OMG SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ANNOYING!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe she won! she was such a spoiled brat and isn't even pretty.

Danielle (Cycle 6) nice personality but definitely not a high fashion girl and her accent was horrible!!

CariDee (Cycle 7) she's ok but I still think Melrose should have won.

Jaslene (cycle 8) the worst winner in the history of ANTM IMO. I can't believe they picked HER over natasha!!

Saliesha (Cycle 9) Isn't even that pretty.

So A WARNING TO ALL GIRLS: if you want to be a model do NOT!! by any means participate in America's Next Top Model!!!!!!!!!!

Oh and have you guys noticed a pattern in the winners? a white girl, black girl, white girl, black girl, white girl etc....

Last edited by candysweet21; 12-04-2008 at 06:11 AM.
12-04-2008
fashion elite

^^ ohh thats just all tyra's doings (the pattern) its probably rigged

12-04-2008
backstage pass

i think saleisha, eva and jaslene were the worst of all... especially because saleisha beat chantal and jaslene beat natasha...
the most shocking is that usually the runner ups and previously eliminated girls get more jobs... chantal for example, did a few shows at la fashion week... it's not much, but its a start...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
american, bad, model, version