How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-04-2008
trendsetter

Jaslene, Nicole, and Danielle are actually doing quite well for winners.

The main problem of the show is that it's too out of touch with today's modeling industry. Like many said earlier, it focuses too much on a public perception of what a model is. In addition, most of the judges, especially Nigel, judge the girls on their personal perception of what makes a model. Nigel tends to like the "hot", sultry girls, yet this look is rarely sought after nowadays in the industry.

Also, they really don't do enough in terms of activities relating to actual modeling. Instead of visiting agencies, having polas taken of them, and the like, the girls are forced to go participate in "COMMERCIAL! COUTURE! CATALOG!" challenges that truly don't make any sense. These girls simply aren't given a taste of what a real model's life is like.

12-04-2008
fashion elite

I think the show is improving standard wise especially this cycle. I think people forget that this is a reality tv show and it has been going strong for 10 cycles and Tyra's zany acts, odd photoshoots and strange challenges are needed to keep the show fresh.

12-04-2008
V.I.P.

Why is the American Version of Top Model So Bad?
  • america produces more commercial models, with the exception of the very few hf girls.
*just look at all the high fashion models that grace the glossy and catwalks from ny, milan and paris...[majority are foreigners]
  • it's all for entertainment purposes
IMO

however, there is one ANTM contestant that fits the very criteria of a HF model: Heather Kuzmich of Cycle 9

12-04-2008
trendsetter

Uh, just something I noticed...

A lot of people (mostly non-fans of the show who still watch it) seem to really have little respect for the girls, you know? Heck, when Bianca was wearing Chanel in some test shots she did, everyone, instead of focusing on whether or not she looked good, said, "She doesn't even deserve to be wearing those clothes! She doesn't know what they're worth! Why should someone like her wear it?" Um, I'm pretty sure she actually is aware of what they're worth--don't assume the worst. Many people say that the girls don't know anything about fashion, yet a lot of girls (in post-show interviews) have said that Tyra and the judges make them study fashion magazines, models, and the like. The fact that people are so harsh on these girls only adds to the perception that ANTM is a joke.

[/end rant]

12-04-2008
fashion elite

^I feel the same way. I think people are way too quick to dismiss ANTM.

12-04-2008
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionCapital View Post
Uh, just something I noticed...

A lot of people (mostly non-fans of the show who still watch it) seem to really have little respect for the girls, you know? Heck, when Bianca was wearing Chanel in some test shots she did, everyone, instead of focusing on whether or not she looked good, said, "She doesn't even deserve to be wearing those clothes! She doesn't know what they're worth! Why should someone like her wear it?" Um, I'm pretty sure she actually is aware of what they're worth--don't assume the worst. Many people say that the girls don't know anything about fashion, yet a lot of girls (in post-show interviews) have said that Tyra and the judges make them study fashion magazines, models, and the like. The fact that people are so harsh on these girls only adds to the perception that ANTM is a joke.

[/end rant]
I agree, yes the girls can be annoying and so can the drama and yes some girls come into with that "i'm a tomboy I don't know anything about modeling but everyone said I should try out" thing but a lot of them know their models and designers however I agree with something someone said earlier if you want to be taken seriously in the modeling world I suggest not doing it with ANTM.

tfs star

IMO why ANTM is bad:

1. no big names featured as judges, photographers, designers, etc. at least none worth mentioning.

2. the contestants. some lack maturity, sophistication, height, presence, etc. some of their personalities suck also.

3. too much drama, which is really the editor's fault. only good for tv, lack of professionalism.

4. i'll keep my opinions about tyra to myself.

fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelover142002 View Post
Two words:

Tyra. Banks.

Pretty much sums it up!

V.I.P.

Perhaps because most of the catwalks we'd like to see models on are QUITE picky. Most of the girls on the show don't even fit the high fashion aesthetic and look commercial. And some of them are successful doing commercial work, so. It really sucks cos when they actually do have girls who can work the major runways - they get eliminated. The whole show has become one big joke but hey, it's entertaining as heck.

12-04-2008
fashion elite

^^^

1. Badgley & Mischka, the creative director for Tuleh, Betsey Johnson, Heatherette, Dsquared2, People high-up in LA Fashion Week, Paulina Porizkova, Twiggy, The editor of Seventeen Magazine, Miss Jay, The Manager of Elite USA, Tyson Beckford, etc, etc aren't considered good names. Do you expect the likes of Anna Wintour and Steven Meisel to give up their time for a reality tv show.

2. The contestants are generelly quite good and a large majority have some level of potential even if you get the odd ones that are just visual funk, the problem is that the rightful winner is never chosen and the other good contestants never give it a fair shot. Have you stopped by the model behaviour thread, there are models who act much more immature than ANTM girls. Sophistication is something not needed off the runways and away from the camera. As far as I know all the girls this cycle were above 5'9 and are generally quite tall in previous cycles too. I'm not disagreeing on this one because some girls need to work on their rpesence but in general it can be worked on over time. Is personality really necessary? It's a TV show.

3. It's a reality tv show, not a documentary and as stated earlier, the girls do learn about fashion behind the camera lens.

4. Give her a break, she's done over 10 cycles and she's just trying her best to be entertaining and trying to keep things fresh.

[/rant over]

Last edited by 1FashionVictim; 12-04-2008 at 07:38 PM.
12-04-2008
V.I.P.

Seriously. I doubt the likes of Wintour and Meisel would give antm the time of day.

You know, I really believe these girls would make it farther if they didn't choose to be on the show. It's like they think winning would give them a slew of work opportunities when in reality, none of them get so many at all. They have a better chance with sending their photos to an agency, imho.

12-04-2008
fashion elite

^Didn't I say that about Meisel and Wintour? I f I didn't I had meant too.

12-04-2008
V.I.P.

You did! I agreed with you.

12-04-2008
fashion elite

^ O I C Just out of interest is that candice in your avatar?

12-04-2008
V.I.P.

Nope, it's Michaela Kocianova!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
american, bad, model, version