How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Supporting Cast / The ETC's of the Modeling World
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-04-2008
backstage pass

Why is the American Version of Top Model So Bad?
The winners of ANTM have only scored Covergirl campaigns only because it comes with winning the show. However, Ksenia Kahnovich from RNTM has gotten a campaign from Gucci and Alice of AusNTM has gotten a campaign from D&G. Karl Lagerfeld also visited FNTM! I just have one question: why is ANTM so bad? None of the models are successful.

11-04-2008
V.I.P.

well,some of them are successful, actually. Unfortunately, the most successful of them comes when they aren't modeling. Tocarra is a prime example. She's doing BIG things!

go red sox

Two words:

Tyra. Banks.

it's a hard-knock life.

^^ oh, toccara, i really have no words for her.

12-04-2008
V.I.P.

^^how is it that Tyra is responsible, though? i'm just wondering

Last edited by Mchunu; 12-04-2008 at 12:08 AM.
12-04-2008
V.I.P.

I don't think it's just on Tyra. But, I think sometimes the girl is over the top. I think some of the girls they do choose aren't always the best and not just the ones that win, but in general. They seem to be more about glitz and fame and not really all for being hard working models. Some are, don't get me wrong, but most aren't. And I think ANTM just has a bad stigma attached to it that they can't shake no matter how hard they try.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzie stevens View Post
^^ oh, toccara, i really have no words for her.

also, in Eva's hayday back in 2004, she was actually quite prominent on the celebrity scene. & a lot of people were calling her "the most successful from ANTM". I did some research on her & looked at her fmd1 profile. She's featured in ads for Applebottom & been on the cover of Women's Health & Fitness. Groundbreaking.

but enough with the sarcasm; i do think she was the most popular & received the highest profile than any of the ANTM girls.

backstage pass

i think the girls go for a more commercial career. the whole reality tv thing creates an appeal to the public. that's why most of them end up doing ads and commercial for popular brands and popular magazines...

12-04-2008
V.I.P.

I think at the beginning, since the show was the first Model show, they wanted to make sure it would take off, so they knew they needed drama to get people to tune in. At the same time, I doubt they had big time fashion people lining up at their door to be on the show, considering how low key the whole thing was. After that, they figured out that they were right, the formula for success was in fact drama. So they went for it. Instead of casting girls that had actual modeling potential, they casted girls that would be good for tv. Soon after, the show started losing any credibility it ever had, if it ever had any. And now Tyra had nothing to lose. After the first couple seasons of not being able to produce a model, they probably gave up on actually trying to produce one and instead just go for the entertainment value. So, in a sense, they kind of shot themselves in the foot before the show could really take off as legit fashion show. So now, even the girls that actually have potential to be real models (I'm looking at Jenah, Danielle, Kahlen, etc) have the ANTM keeping them down. Nobody who's anybody in the business would bring themselves to actually be on the show.

Other countries seem like they're actually casting girls with potential, as oppose to just girls with drama. Also, I'd say they had the adventage of using the proven formula, while at the same time being able to separate itself from ANTM.

trendsetter

According to Ms. Jay the girls get lazy after they win. In my opinion, a lot of the girls don't look anything like models that are popular today. I think in an effort to appeal to a wide viewing audience, they don't choose girls that look like real models. However, I'm not really sure what they're looking for when they cast the girls. Their "commercial" girls aren't very attractive, and their "edgy" girls aren't even weird looking in an interesting way, just plain weird looking.

I caught one season of Australia's top model and I was so surprised at how much more photogenic the girls were. It seemed more realistic and less about how many stupid challenges they could cram into an hour. Perhaps the average person would find girls that look like actual models unattractive and not want to watch? I'm just assuming that girls that are top model material are already with agencies in New York or elsewhere, and ANTM is basically getting leftovers.

Adrienne Curry mentioned something about needing to be 15 years old to do well in the modeling business and I think that a lot of the girls on ANTM aren't necessarily old, but they look a lot older than models out there right now. For example, Kim (now on MTV) is 25, I think Jade and Lisa were probably around the same age or older. It seems like quite a few of the girls have pursued modeling at some point in their past and it didn't pan out, so I don't know how being on ANTM will somehow change or enhance their modeling potential. If anything most of them look like on-air tv personalities to me, not model-like (except for their height).

Last edited by meeks; 12-04-2008 at 12:31 AM.
12-04-2008
V.I.P.

^^i'm not sure if they've done aware of any "popular" ads & magazines they've been a part of. & the biggest "fashion" magazines happen to be popular, atleast i think so & i haven't seen any ANTM girls in them, with the exception of Mollie Sue.

I also wanted to say that i think that the way the image of the show is why most of the girls aren't successful. The funny thing is that the fashion world is really "off" from what the general public understands & that tyra actually tries to incorporate the show, fashion models & modeling so that it is more intruiging to those of the general public.

Since when is being a top model that much about personality. Look at the top models of today; who'd want to watch Lily Donaldson, Lara Stone, Iekeliene Stange, Eugenia Volodina etc. on TV? no one of the general public i could assure you. So casted are girls with these emotional, heartful moments about their lives who look like what your average person's conception of a model is-tall & pretty. Then, of course, you have your plus sized model to aim for viewers who are against the whole "models should be skinny" movement & body image empowerment. Throw Tyra Banks, a popular & iconic image of the youth & a few catfights, which add to your average person's conception of a model & All of this=successful TV show. It may be bad to us "fashion folk" but not to someone who enjoys catfights & the glits & glamour of modeling.

it's about TARGETING CERTAIN AUDIENCES. Tyra & the editors, i presume, make sure ANTM has something for a everyone. If the show was really about how modeling is i could assure you ratings would be much, much lower.

Last edited by Mchunu; 12-04-2008 at 12:37 AM.
12-04-2008
V.I.P.

ALSO! i think the image of the models they cast fit the models of the eighties & nineties (Tyra & Paulina's hayday). I think probably many of them could have been successful early nineties, but not now. Tyra just needs to face the image of models that the designers want, now. Thin, foreign, & extremely youthful.

trendsetter

^Honestly I doubt the girls they cast could've been popular in the 80s either. I think the preference then was for models that were overwhelmingly attractive. If anyone on ANTM ever came close to Paulina in terms of looks I would be shocked.

12-04-2008
backstage pass

ANTM is a reality show, and like all reality shows there is lots of drama, there needs to be or it isn't interesting for non-fashion fans. They're going to pick girls who are bitchy, overtly sensitive, catty, weird and trashy. They pick ones that will clash together almost as if they're casting actresses for a TV show, they know who will become friends and who will become enemies.

I knew Dominique from this past cycle was going to be one of the "drama" girls, her personality is so generic and fake it's disgusting, she's this "gonna win this for my baby, I'm better than all these girls BRING IT" attitude. So that's why she was choosen. Lauren because she seems odd. Fatima because she comes across as snobby and she's had some tough times.

Why else would they ask about their life story before casting? They want someone who has been through alot of negativity hoping that will bring out the worst in them, and clash them with people who are bubbly and happy to get them fighting.

Then they have to cast plus sized/short/unfit for high fashion "models" so that they can appeal to a wide audience and not piss of mainstream, politically correct America. They need to cast beautiful ones who are sweet or have a strong, likeable personality so that people will continue to tune in to support the ones they like.

Another thing they do is put 18 year olds and 26 year olds in the same house, which is asking for trouble. So basically it's all about ratings. Other Top Model shows are more about modelling, whereas ANTM is about ratings.

backstage pass

Considering Cycle 10 of antm, i think the only two girls that COULD fit the image that designers want nowadays are Katarzyna and Anya.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
american, bad, model, version