How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-09-2005
front row

Alterations in NYC
I have a Junya Watanabe black trench coat that is a little big on me, and I'm looking to have it altered to a slimmer/tighter fit.

Can someone recommend a good tailor in NYC that will be up to the job? A tailor that does high quality work and also knows enough about fashion so that when I ask for someting close to a Dior Homme-type silhouette, he/she will know what I'm talking about.

Thanks.

04-09-2005
Yes, please

That's so funny you should post this. I was just thinking, I better retrieve that Vitals magazine from the recycling bin and at least tear out the page referring to the 'best' tailors in NYC. Here are editor Joe Zee's pics:

For Minor alterations:
Madame Paulette 212.838.6827

But to make a suit or custom shirts:
Eva Deveesery - 212.751.6091 or
Piccione Custom Tailors - 212.421.2820

However, being as this is from Vitals mag, I don't know if Joe Zee favors more traditionally-minded tailors - they may not pass your Dior knowledge qualifications. In my experience, more than a few designer friends go to Dynasty Tailors on 6 East 38th Street, between Madisonand Fifth Avenues 212-679-1075. They've done work for Vogue magazine as well as made samples for a few of my designer friends runway shows. I can't remember what I had Dynasty do, but while they do a good job (I don't recall being annoyed, which I would remember :p) they're not cheap either.

Last edited by baklanyc; 04-09-2005 at 01:19 AM.
04-09-2005
front row

baklanyc, thank you so much.

04-09-2005
backstage pass

Arthur, if you want someone that really knows the DH look I'd recommend Ignacio's. I believe they're at 59th and... Park. You can confirm by calling the Dior store.

They are who the Dior NYC store uses for alterations and such. I've had a coat altered down from a 54 to a 50 by them (the herringbone coat from VotC) and it was perfect. Pricing is pretty reasonable as well... set me back $130ish with about a 7 day turnaround!

If you want that DH look, I'd say they'd know it more than any other tailor since they work so closely with the Dior store!

04-09-2005
front row

will check them out.
thanks Albert.

04-09-2005
Yes, please

Part of my reason for posting in this thread was so I would subscribe to it, and get to see what tailors everone used! Chinor1z, that sounds like the perfect example - going down two sizes is not easy, and if they already know the look, that's great! I may have to keep them in mind as well, although my pieces don't need the same work.

Or.... maybe they do.

Chinor1z, do you recall if they shortened the sleeves of your coat, and if so, did they do so from the ends of the sleeves, or did they have to narrow the shoulders and reset the sleeves as well? I have a jacket that needs the sleeves to be reset at a shorter length, and I'm maniacal about possible puckering when people set in coat sleeves.

04-09-2005
EdK
trendsetter

I went to Ignacio before and come to think of it, I dont feel too comfortable with his care free attitude anymore especially with big items like suit jackets or coats. all he does is take a quick zip at you with some pins which he just lazily puts pins on and may not even be symmetrical on both sides, and he isnt even the one who does the alterations, his minions by the window do it all.

04-09-2005
trendsetter

I have had a few suits tailored at Ignacio before (through Dior Homme), and they came back amazing. However, they pinned me at Dior...

04-09-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb117
I have had a few suits tailored at Ignacio before (through Dior Homme), and they came back amazing. However, they pinned me at Dior...
What do you mean by 'pinned you' at Dior???

04-09-2005
trendsetter

The man at the store put the pins in the suit where it was to be altered

04-09-2005
Yes, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb117
The man at the store put the pins in the suit where it was to be altered
Did they include that in the price of the suit, or were you charged extra for the alterations? I know at Jeffrey, they used to offer me the service free to allow me to buy items that didn't fit perfectly.

04-09-2005
trendsetter

I believe it was included, but I would have to check my bill to be certain.

04-09-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdK
I went to Ignacio before and come to think of it, I dont feel too comfortable with his care free attitude anymore especially with big items like suit jackets or coats. all he does is take a quick zip at you with some pins which he just lazily puts pins on and may not even be symmetrical on both sides, and he isnt even the one who does the alterations, his minions by the window do it all.
It actually might be a sign of great experience.

Good thread, Arthur, thanks for starting it!

04-09-2005
front row

[QUOTE=faust]It actually might be a sign of great experience.

QUOTE]

may be so.. but most of the time.. I found that it is NOT the case. What is it with all these people getting treated badly and thinking they are getting good experience and deal.. WHAT EVER

04-09-2005
EdK
trendsetter

like i said, all he does is pin you, and the pins may be 1 1/2 inches on one side and 2 on the other, its gonna end up uneven. 2nd hes not the one that does the alterations, so what if he has good experience? he aint the one cutting and sewing your clothes, and his minions alter it exactly based on the pins, so i dunno how reliable it will be int he long run

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust
It actually might be a sign of great experience.

Good thread, Arthur, thanks for starting it!

Last edited by EdK; 04-09-2005 at 02:11 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alterations, nyc