How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-03-2004
Stitch:the Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey+Mar 27th, 2004 - 10:28 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softgrey @ Mar 27th, 2004 - 10:28 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Scott@Mar 27th, 2004 - 9:55 am
I've been wanting to make a more formal trip of Amsterdam rather than just the airport for some time.

There's one vintage shop,I hear,that's quite popular called: 'Lady Day'. I don't know the street address or anything, but it seems that's where almost all of Am'dam's fashion crowd heads to when on a budget and looking for some 'special' things.

And Soft and Faust**,how was Van Ravenstein? They recently opened a flagship,or whatever its called,in Berlin. Not just Belgians,they sell,but they manage to squeeze in a couple of their very own.
scott---they had tons of jurgi...that's where i saw a lot of his stuff...it was that amazing collection with all the strips of fabric...about 3 yrs ago...the work on these things was amazing...

also carried-dries, ann, margiela,
i remember the staff was very cool
i also bought a magazine there called baby---it was a cool mag... [/b][/quote]
I've been curious about that shop since seeing their ads in Purple magazine every issue. Almost every popular Belgian seems to be showcased in some fashion there.

I know of 'Baby' btw. Never seen it though but from what some friends have said it is indeed quite cool.

29-03-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott@Mar 27th, 2004 - 9:55 am
I've been wanting to make a more formal trip of Amsterdam rather than just the airport for some time.

There's one vintage shop,I hear,that's quite popular called: 'Lady Day'. I don't know the street address or anything, but it seems that's where almost all of Am'dam's fashion crowd heads to when on a budget and looking for some 'special' things.

And Soft and Faust**,how was Van Ravenstein? They recently opened a flagship,or whatever its called,in Berlin. Not just Belgians,they sell,but they manage to squeeze in a couple of their very own.
I would love to tell you, but unfortunately it was already closed when we stumbled upon it, and we had to leave early next day. We were leaving for Antwerp, so I did not feel that bad .

26-12-2005
fashion icon

Amsterdam shopping
going there soon and was wondering where the places to shop are.
will be living there for a while so was wondering if the clothes are on the expensive side or whether i'll just start up a wardrobe over there. i hope... :p

27-12-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlooking
going there soon and was wondering where the places to shop are.
will be living there for a while so was wondering if the clothes are on the expensive side or whether i'll just start up a wardrobe over there. i hope... :p
I am going there too, and I would like to know must-go stores and things to do over there also!!! thanks!

30-12-2005
front row

go to velvet at the magna plaza, the pc hooftstraat ofcourse and check www.superfuture.com for reviews, at the homepage go to more cities at the left and select a'dam, you can view a map with al the hotspots and click on a store for a review, a'dam is great btw!! good luck and have fun there

30-12-2005
daisy in my lazy eye

I've been there only once and mainly circled around the main stores. Bijenkorf and such. Not even a glimpse of the red light district. There was one amazing little vintage boutique with a lot of designer shoes for €30 a pair. It's called '1953' and you find it on the Staalstraat 2. Stumbled upon it by accidence while searching for the centrum
I also loved the bookstores in Amsterdam, they have all the books off my list

To answer your question, finding decent clothing shouldn't come expensive in Amsterdam, but I don't know what prices you're used to. Otherwise you'll always have 5 different H&Ms to choose from

As for going out I advise Paradiso (Weteringschans 6-8), a lot of good bands and artists play there.

31-12-2005
fashion icon

wow, thanks for your help guys. karma coming ur way

DaraKaye- looks like we have some exciting places to check out! yey

Last edited by justlooking; 31-12-2005 at 01:22 AM.
31-12-2005
windowshopping

you should go to the area called 'de jordaan',lots of little boetieks,galleries,vintage stores,also the 'nine streets' with laura dolls,zipper and remember(vitage)nice little bars as well

31-12-2005
windowshopping

How nice that you are going to live in amsterdam!
I think the prices are really diverse in Amsterdam. You have a lot of afordable shops, like Zara, H&M, and secondhandshops, but also the more expensive ones. So i think it really depends on your shopping interests.

I also live there so i can give you some recommendations for shopping.
First of all the 'negen straatjes', these are a lot of little streets between the canals.

I think those streets are great for finding original pieces, there are also some vintage and second hand shops, i think those are becomming a little bit over-priced, but they are worth looking.
I found a pretty good site that carries some information about the shops that you can find in these little streets.
www.theninestreets.com

I think especially Van Ravenstein is a great shop, they sell Veronique Branquinho, Ann Deulemeester, Dries van Noten and more. I love to go there, if you have the chance you should go there on saturday, because then they open their secret room with sale!

If you are there on a monday morning, you should really check out the Noordermarkt, near the Westerstraat. That's a really nice flea-market, and altough the sellers are getting more commercial, because the market is really becoming a hype, it's still worth to take a look. If you are in that neigbourhood you can also go to Arckiv, if you are into vintage eyewear, it's a really funky place. A few streets from there you can find the Haarlemmerstraat, where you also can find a lot of original shops.
There is also this little shop with great bargains around my neighbourhood, but i forgot the name, when i find out i will let you know.

31-12-2005
windowshopping

i meant Ann Demeulemeester!

01-01-2006
fashion icon

veroon,
thanks for so much info! karma

Quote:
Originally Posted by veroon
i meant Ann Demeulemeester!
of course! I the designs!

kibby- thanks! karma

08-01-2006
windowshopping

Amsterdam is a great place to shop!! Not only ebcause I live in Amsterdam. i 've been in a lot of citys in the world but in amsterdam I usually see most beautiful clothes!

On this site are the best shops, restaurants and clubs. But it is only in Dutch.
http://www.fashionscene.nl/pages.php...ction=hotspots

The two main streets are: De Kalverstraat & De Leidsestraat. You definitly need to go there! You can shop for miss sixty, diesel and all other commercial brands. At the Leidsestraat is shoebaloo, they have very pretty heels and boots of miu miu, prada, D&G, Dior and much more to fall in love with

At the Dam Square are de Bijenkorf (A big warehouse) and Magnaplaza (A more luxurous warehouse) At Magaplaza are shops like: Replay, Laundry Industries, Toni&Guy. You Definitly need to go to Velvet, my favourite shop, it is wuite expensive though.. They sell D&G, Versace, Bikkembergs, Cavalli, Pinko, Juicy Couture, Dsquared, Seven and more..

For second hand shops you need to go to the 9 streets, these are behind Maganplaza. Definitly go to Zipper and laura dolls (Amazing dresses!).
The market at Waterlooplein also had very good secondhand shops and you definitly need to go to episode!

The most luxurous street in Amsterdam is the Pc Hoofdstraat. Shops like Chanel, Gucci, Louis Vuitton, D&G but also cheaper ones like Diesel (with amazing exclusive gallery jeans!!) Replay. The most pretty shop in Amsterdam is Azzuro, also in the Pc Hoofdstraat. They sell Marithé & Francoise Girbaud, Frankie Morello, Dsquared, Miu Miu etc... (go there when there is sale, 50%)

If you want to know more.. just ask.. I am totally shopping-addicted

09-01-2006
fashion icon

you've got me all excited and i'm nowhere near leaving time yet...lol.
thanks. karma.

hopefully one day i will be able to figure out Dutch websites - so far i can only remember like two words lol. Hoe heet ja? and ga zitten. oh well, guesswork will have to do for now.

thanks 4 ur help.

22-01-2006
windowshopping

yes, i would definitely reccomend the nine streets, its great to just walk around the streets and do up some insparation, my favorite store being lady dayalso Rotterdam has some great stores, such as lijfstyle, and funky house, downstairs for their deals. If your ever in holland, hit up rotterdam as well.

27-01-2006
front row

where was this thread when I was living there!!! Bookmarked, for my next visit, thanks for bringing up the topic justlooking

You'll love amsterdam, theres always alot to do and it oozes energy.

For cheaper stuff, try C&A and HEMA (some people will argue its tacky but for everyday small stuff like hats, socks, etc you'll find bargains).Most shopkeepers are friendly too, and if u ask them about where you can get something in particular at a certain budget, they'd probably tell you.

Have fun!!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
amsterdam, shopping, vintage