How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-06-2004
windowshopping

Australia Shopping
Next month I'll be traveling through Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney and I was wondering where the best shops and markets are in these cities ... I’d really appreciate any ones help

Thanks

10-06-2004
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I've only been to Melbourne briefly at the beginning of this year - but I know that Chapel Street is a main strip of the hottest shops there. I hope there are some other East Australian members that can help! PM me if you need any more information about Australia in general - or if you're going to come across to Perth!

backstage pass

Hi. I recommend posting on Vogue Australia's forum. I could help a little but I'm not very good with addresses. These girls should be able to help.

10-06-2004
tfs star

hey ya! aussie in town! hehe, bel already covered for me...but i have family in brissie and i luv it!!! so...

in brissie the main malls in the city are gorgeous! and "the valley" defs...you can also do heaps of shopping ont he sunshine and gold coasts about an hour north or south but worth a visit...

in melbourne i know chappel street is really it, i think st kilda has a different sorta vibe and you can always shop in the city.

in sydney, i actually dunno a tone, but i assume also, there is a solid shopping district in the city center.

10-06-2004
windowshopping

Thanks you guys !!!!

14-06-2004
windowshopping

I'm a Sydney girl so I should be able to help you out!

For a whole bunch of Australian designers together, visit the Strand Arcade which runs off Pitt St in the middle of the city. A lot of the designers that show at Australian Fashion Week have stores there.
see http://www.strandarcade.com.au/

The coolest shopping strip in Sydney is Oxford St, Paddington which is pretty close to the main city centre. There are plenty of buses going down that way. There are good shops the whole way down.

There are a couple of good shops in little side streets off Oxford St, but you might find them a bit tricky to find! The one which you really can't miss is William St which has Collette Dinnigan and a cool shop called The Corner Shop - it stocks heaps of young Australian labels - among others.

Please ask me if you want anymore information.

14-06-2004
windowshopping

Oops, I forgot to tell you about the markets!

Saturday
Paddington Markets are the most famous. They are in the church/school grounds right in the busiest part of Oxford St. They are not the place you go to for vintage stuff. This is a more expensive type of market featuring up-and-coming designers. I think it has become way too commercial lately.
Surry Hills Markets
These are in the park on Crown St, the main street of Surry Hills. Heaps of second stuff, some real bargains to be found.

Sunday
Bondi Beach Markets
This is my favourite market in Sydney. It has a nice mix: young designers (cool tees, bags, quirky jewellery as well as some more mainstream jewellery, some shoes) and lots of vintage stuff. Besides, it's right opposite the beach! Have brunch in the morning before heading to the markets and that would be the perfect Sydney day!

19-06-2004
front row

I live in Melbourne, soo.....

1. You must must must stop by Chapel St at least once!
2. Bridge Road is awesome for shopping too.
3. Take a train into the city and shop around there, just wander, you'll find interesting places. I suggest getting off at Flinders St Station and walking up Swanston St, then across Collins St and Burke St.
*map here = http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/pdfs/June2002map.pdf *
4. Chadstone, 'The Fashion Capital' is an awesome center. One of the largest if not the largest in Melbourne.
5. Perhaps St Kilda if you have time, though its nicer going there at night at one of the many resturants along the beach there

I think if you pass by all those you'll have a very good idea of what Melbourne shopping and fashion is all about.

19-06-2004
front row

BTW for a relatively cheap but fabulously trendy and awesome store, you must go into Sportsgirl. They're everywhere so you're sure to find one - just look out for the rainbow logo.

Hope this helps.

21-06-2004
♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxxxstefaniexxxxx@Jun 19th, 2004 - 9:45 pm
BTW for a relatively cheap but fabulously trendy and awesome store, you must go into Sportsgirl.
I used to work there! I heard that Paris and Nikki Hilton went crazy in Sportsgirl when they were staying in Queensland a few months ago. They spent a few grand and closed up a store for a few hours to have it to themselves!

front row

Quote:
I used to work there! I heard that Paris and Nikki Hilton went crazy in Sportsgirl when they were staying in Queensland a few months ago. They spent a few grand and closed up a store for a few hours to have it to themselves!
LOL! I was just going to mention this.

It's always interesting to see which shops tourists like in your country - I work in a tourist shop and I love to check out which other shopping bags my customers are carrying. I think if I went overseas I would definitely spend up large in mall shops and other shops that sell brands that aren't necessarily seen as "cool" in that country, because nobody here would have the same stuff as me.

You guys have me wanting to go to Aussie now~!

16-07-2004
front row

I just got back from a holiday in Sydney, and I would also reccomend The Strand Arcade, and the Queen Victoria Building - both have absolutely beautiful architecture and house some exclusive labels.

26-09-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixielaughs
I think if I went overseas I would definitely spend up large in mall shops and other shops that sell brands that aren't necessarily seen as "cool" in that country, because nobody here would have the same stuff as me.
LOL i live in Brisbane and that's what I did when I went to Sydney! I went to the cheap shops, since nobody in Brisbane would even know...so unfashionable here.

backstage pass

woot i had no idea this thread was hiding in here!

13-10-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belowen
I've only been to Melbourne briefly at the beginning of this year - but I know that Chapel Street is a main strip of the hottest shops there. I hope there are some other East Australian members that can help! PM me if you need any more information about Australia in general - or if you're going to come across to Perth!
hey im moving to perth!! any tips on what to buy what not to bother? i have a reputation for shopping like nuts when im first in a place, only to later realise i dont like that stuff and prefer other shops

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
australia, shopping