How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-04-2005
EdK
trendsetter

i dunno anything about the streets but are madison ave and 57th streets the big time designer shopping streets?

19-04-2005
front row

::nods:: I can't say I really remember much about Louis' men's dept.. The women's was a little haphazard, but occasionally had such cool things. And it was nice to have such a large scale dept store for slightly offbeat things... I guess such things are taken for granted in NYC, but my other hometown of SF just didn't have anything like that to offer..... Regardless, comparisons b/w SF and Boston are pretty commonplace. Is the small, eclectic boutique shopping as top notch and thriving as it is out west? Barneys couldn't possibly harm those, could it?

As for the music guru.. I love the BCBG in SF's Union Square.. they have a pair of $$$ technics... hooked up to an iPod. ::groans::

19-04-2005
offline.

"I love you, you love me, we're a happy family.. with a great big hug and a kiss from me to youuuu....... won't you say you love me, too"

.. ok.. I'm stupid. (I read the title, and that's what i thought )

19-04-2005
front row

I may be czilla like godzilla, but I'd never attack Boston in a frumpy ol' purple outfit

19-04-2005
kLm
front row

I'm responding to numerous messages at once..

Quote:
Originally Posted by czilla
Regardless, comparisons b/w SF and Boston are pretty commonplace. Is the small, eclectic boutique shopping as top notch and thriving as it is out west?
Unfortunately, no. At least, not for men. Women are slightly better off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyBrown
But Louis Boston? SHADY? Hell yeah!!! I mean, c'mon--last time I went in there (a few weeks ago), I saw that they were selling items from Cloak, SPRING 2004...and still charging FULL-PRICE! (Is this common in the retail industry? I mean, I know I havent worked retail in over 3 years, but I dont recall this as standard practice).
Yeah, that bugged me too. I think that they took the first line in Spring 04 on consignment, and for whatever reason they have refused to put it on sale. Anyway, they are dropping Cloak after this season. What Louis has this Spring is incredibly uninspiring.

What's really shady is Bilzerian's--where I do a fair bit of shopping--they put stuff back up to full price after the sale season is over. A lot of the Rick Owens, Margiela, Carpe, etc, is from last season, marked back up to full price, after having been on sale for a few weeks. And I'm pretty sure that downstairs, they have stuff from Yohji etc that they will bring back up in the Fall at full price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinorlz
I really dislike their shoe selection too. It's like they just picked 2 shoes from one brand, and then 4 from another, and the 1 from one more (they literally bought ONE balenciaga shoe style a couple seasons back). Very blah.
I know, what the hell is the deal with that? And do they need so much Prada? We can walk over to Neiman's to get that stuff, with a much more liberal return policy. That aggravates the hell out of me. Trying to find good men's shoes in Boston is mostly worthless.

19-04-2005
tfs star

"Yeah, that bugged me too. I think that they took the first line in Spring 04 on consignment, and for whatever reason they have refused to put it on sale. Anyway, they are dropping Cloak after this season. What Louis has this Spring is incredibly uninspiring."

I actually like what they have this season. I mean, they're carrying a good deal of plaid, which, from what I understand, is the hot "look" this season, but I LOVE plaid, and I'll probably always buy it regardless if it's "in style" this season or not. And Im loving the plaid VanNoten coat I bought recently!

"What's really shady is Bilzerian's--where I do a fair bit of shopping--they put stuff back up to full price after the sale season is over. A lot of the Rick Owens, Margiela, Carpe, etc, is from last season, marked back up to full price, after having been on sale for a few weeks. And I'm pretty sure that downstairs, they have stuff from Yohji etc that they will bring back up in the Fall at full price."

At Bilzerian's? Hmmm, I never noticed that before. I'll definitely have to look into that next time I go in and see how I feel about it (I admit--if I see an item thats "old" and is still going for full-price, I'd still buy it, but only if I LOVED it enough to do so, and I absolutely HAVE to have it!)

But regardless, I do like both stores and will continue shopping there. I mean, I cant rush to NYC EVERYTIME I need some new clothes.

Either which way, this is why I simply CANNOT wait for Barney's to come to Boston--I dont think shopping there is this confusing. Yay!

"I know, what the hell is the deal with that? And do they need so much Prada? We can walk over to Neiman's to get that stuff, with a much more liberal return policy. That aggravates the hell out of me. Trying to find good men's shoes in Boston is mostly worthless.[/QUOTE]"

My thoughts exactly. Dont laugh, but the BEST pair of shoes I bought in recent months--I found in FILENE'S BASEMENT. White Jil Sanders w/ Velcro buckles across the foot. I also saw a pair of Veronique Branquinos that caught my eye, but even the discounted Filene's Basement price was a bit too steep for me.

Both courtesy of Barney's.

19-04-2005
backstage pass

Damn, some Jil Sander kicks at Filene's basement? I've only come across a couple little nuggets there, nothing really overly nice though!

Yes, Bilzerian definitely brings prices right back up. The carpe diem items that didn't sell before at a discount of a few hundred are still there, and back up to full price. Most of the leather pants are this way. You can tell just by looking at the year the item was made (on the back of the gray cdiem/lmaltieri tag). Also, the harness sweater by McQueen is still there after having not sold last season and yep, it's back up to full price!

They did get in a few more CDiem items though last week, some raw silk outerwear, matching pants and some tees. I'm going to stop in again today to get a better look.

19-04-2005
kLm
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinor1z
Damn, some Jil Sander kicks at Filene's basement? I've only come across a couple little nuggets there, nothing really overly nice though!
Boston and Newton both had a TON of Jil Sander shoes. I don't know where they were dumped from (maybe Barney's, as posted by TrophyBrown), but there were a lot. I didn't see Branquinho, though. I did pick up some Marni, Dries, and a Cloak piece at Filene's basement. Riccardi's has some Junya CDG stuff right now, which is kinda weird. I don't get that place at all.

And re: Bilzerian's--I don't know how I feel about the prices going back up. I guess in regular retail, you see this all the time--DVD goes on sale, goes back up to full price, etc. We're not used to seeing it with clothing. I'm not sure about my stance on it right now.

TrophyBrown, what do you like this season at Louis besides Dries? I really haven't liked much of what they have in stock, but overall I haven't been too enthused about Spring stuff, except for a few Yohji items and some Junya that I saw in NY a few weeks ago.

19-04-2005
backstage pass

cloak at filenes?~!!!!!???!?!!?

19-04-2005
kLm
front row

Quote:
cloak at filenes?~!!!!!???!?!!?
Yep, they had a bunch of pieces in Newton, but just some trousers in Boston. Neil Barrett stuff too, a bunch of which has shown up on eBay repeatedly at ridiculously high prices. Um, what else... Haute, too. A lot of stuff. There were racks of clothes that said they were from Louis, so you didn't even have to search for it.

19-04-2005
within an embrace

I heard some rumour about them looking to open a Barney's in SF, too...boy, I'd be glad for that!

19-04-2005
front row

::Barneys opens in SF...:: ...

::misako and czilla swoon::

19-04-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kLm
Yep, they had a bunch of pieces in Newton, but just some trousers in Boston. Neil Barrett stuff too, a bunch of which has shown up on eBay repeatedly at ridiculously high prices. Um, what else... Haute, too. A lot of stuff. There were racks of clothes that said they were from Louis, so you didn't even have to search for it.
I had a feeling that Louis dumped their stuff at Filene's since I had seen the odd piece with the Filenes tag on it still. I didn't know there was a Filene's basement in Newton. I was wondering where a bunch of the good stuff went. Perhaps less people dig over there so the good pieces hang around....

19-04-2005
kLm
front row

Quote:
I had a feeling that Louis dumped their stuff at Filene's since I had seen the odd piece with the Filenes tag on it still. I didn't know there was a Filene's basement in Newton. I was wondering where a bunch of the good stuff went. Perhaps less people dig over there so the good pieces hang around....
I think the same thing (about less people digging around). I also think that Filene's just cuts the stuff in half and sends it out, without necessarily thinking about what will sell where--hence there being Cloak out in Newton. It is about a 15 minute drive out to Filene's in Newton from the Longwood area, out on Rte 9.

I know Riccardi's jobs their stuff out, but I don't know to who. Not Filene's; I think they send it out of the area. I'm pretty sure Bilzerian's used to use Filene's as a jobber, but that they haven't in quite a while.

20-04-2005
Yes, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by kLm
Yeah, that bugged me too. I think that they took the first line in Spring 04 on consignment, and for whatever reason they have refused to put it on sale. Anyway, they are dropping Cloak after this season. What Louis has this Spring is incredibly uninspiring.
Well, at least with the Cloak store opening for Fall in NYC, you will be able to get any of the runway styles produced and not have to rely on local retailers' buys if you can call and order over the phone, since they plan to stock the full collection.

Barneys does an okay job of stocking items. As with all stores, not all the styles you'll want will be available because they'll have to gauge what will sell. Unfortunately, that means that the more out-there styles may not make it to the retail level (my recent search for NDC shoes is proof of that - Barneys is scheduled to carry the brand, but not the styles I want). I'm sure they'd rather not stock the shelves of Filene's with the items they couldn't get rid of.

But at least you'll have more options just by virtue of having another store with a different point of view. Regardless of how large or narrow the selection will be, it will be more to choose from than before.

Last edited by baklanyc; 20-04-2005 at 12:02 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
barneys, boston, coming