How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-04-2005
tfs star

TrophyBrown, what do you like this season at Louis besides Dries? I really haven't liked much of what they have in stock, but overall I haven't been too enthused about Spring stuff, except for a few Yohji items and some Junya that I saw in NY a few weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

Well, as far as Louis goes, the only thing that I really like there this season is Neil Barrett, which, along w/ Dries, I believe they consistenly carry each season. But Im biased to those two, so that's why I can't really be hatin' on Louis--nobody else in Boston carries them.

I like Junya this season as well. I saw one of their shirts at another store in Boston, and I was going to buy it (only because it was plaid), but I didnt see anything special about it that would warrant a $400+ pricetag.

On a side-note: what are these NDC shoes Ive been reading about in this thread? Ive been racking my brain to see if its some designers initials (like YSL), but I cant think of anything.

20-04-2005
kLm
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyBrown
Well, as far as Louis goes, the only thing that I really like there this season is Neil Barrett, which, along w/ Dries, I believe they consistenly carry each season. But Im biased to those two, so that's why I can't really be hatin' on Louis--nobody else in Boston carries them.

I like Junya this season as well. I saw one of their shirts at another store in Boston, and I was going to buy it (only because it was plaid), but I didnt see anything special about it that would warrant a $400+ pricetag.

On a side-note: what are these NDC shoes Ive been reading about in this thread? Ive been racking my brain to see if its some designers initials (like YSL), but I cant think of anything.
I didn't like the Neil Barrett collection too much this Spring. Nothing jumped out at me. I did buy some 96 Hours Pumas, though--which are much cheaper at the store in NY than at Louis'. I do love Neil, though; I bought a bunch of stuff from the F/W 04 collection. I'm looking forward to the Neil Barret F/W 05 collection though, the runway stuff looks great.

Well, for NDC, Bakla is the resident expert, but you can go to http://www.ndcmadebyhand.com/ to see some photos and info. And check the last issue of the JC Report (http://www.jcreport.com) to see more.

20-04-2005
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kLm
I didn't like the Neil Barrett collection too much this Spring. Nothing jumped out at me. I did buy some 96 Hours Pumas, though--which are much cheaper at the store in NY than at Louis'. I do love Neil, though; I bought a bunch of stuff from the F/W 04 collection. I'm looking forward to the Neil Barret F/W 05 collection though, the runway stuff looks great.

Well, for NDC, Bakla is the resident expert, but you can go to http://www.ndcmadebyhand.com/ to see some photos and info. And check the last issue of the JC Report (http://www.jcreport.com) to see more.

Yeah, I bought a pair too--the purple/navy blue ones. No complaints as of yet, unless, of course, you bought the same pair--then we'll have be some fightin' b****es up in here! LOL!

Hmm. I dont know about the NDC shoes yet. I imagine it was purposely made to look like they've been worn in & beaten (???) I'll have to see them up close & personal before I make an opinion. But I cant gripe about the "made by hand" approach. Im loving the white "soupstar" shoes on their website. But definitely one to watch out for. Thanks!

20-04-2005
Yes, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrophyBrown
Yeah, I bought a pair too--the purple/navy blue ones. No complaints as of yet, unless, of course, you bought the same pair--then we'll have be some fightin' b****es up in here! LOL!

Hmm. I dont know about the NDC shoes yet. I imagine it was purposely made to look like they've been worn in & beaten (???) I'll have to see them up close & personal before I make an opinion. But I cant gripe about the "made by hand" approach. Im loving the white "soupstar" shoes on their website. But definitely one to watch out for. Thanks!
I wasn't convinced myself until I actually put them on. I didn't like them on the shelf, didn't care for them despite how much a friend was raving about them. But once I felt the leather and saw how they were just the right last on my foot (not too rounded but not pointy either, and a long silhouette), I fell in love. Hopefully you can see them at Barneys when they open in Boston.

10-03-2006
V.I.P.

Opening day - Barneys New York in Boston
I just checked out the Barneys New York store in Boston...first day of business

It was my lunch hour so my trip had to be quick. the designers they carry are: Rochas, Alaia, Ann Demeulemeester, Nina Ricci, Martin Margiela (line 4 and 1), Rick Owens, CDG, Junya, TAO, Lanvin, Yohji, etc. The selection is gorgeous. I have to agree with somebody in the Rochas thread that his work doesn't look that good in store, for some reason. I also tried on the Lanvin cream bubble jacket from cruise collection (cute!) (should I get it?), a Junya sweater, a knotted skirt by Thakoon (worked great with the Junya sweater), an Ann Demeulemeester jacket (very well constructed...)...they are to die for. The service is great as well. oh my...I have to visit it again tomorrow to check out the Co-op collection. I'm so excited!

10-03-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine
I just checked out the Barneys New York store in Boston...first day of business

It was my lunch hour so my trip had to be quick. the designers they carry are: Rochas, Alaia, Ann Demeulemeester, Nina Ricci, Martin Margiela (line 4 and 1), Rick Owens, CDG, Junya, TAO, Lanvin, Yohji, etc. The selection is gorgeous. I have to agree with somebody in the Rochas thread that his work doesn't look that good in store, for some reason. I also tried on the Lanvin cream bubble jacket from cruise collection (cute!) (should I get it?), a Junya sweater, a knotted skirt by Thakoon (worked great with the Junya sweater), an Ann Demeulemeester jacket (very well constructed...)...they are to die for. The service is great as well. oh my...I have to visit it again tomorrow to check out the Co-op collection. I'm so excited!
WOW! Awesome and totally unexpected on my part. I thought it'd be the usual boring drivel that they have in their stores like on Long Island and in Chicago. Congrats to you Bostonians on getting another shopping destination. I hope the menswear selection is as good.

10-03-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust
WOW! Awesome and totally unexpected on my part. I thought it'd be the usual boring drivel that they have in their stores like on Long Island and in Chicago. Congrats to you Bostonians on getting another shopping destination. I hope the menswear selection is as good.
I'll check the inventory for you tomorrow, sir I'm pleasantly surprised.
btw, those Junya trench coats and jackets are amazing. The TAO trench coat also looked 1,000 times better than pictures. Now I am just praying that Bostonians are not into those designers and I can get them at sale

I totally love the ann dem jacket. but $1,200 seems high for it. I was torn putting that Lanvin jacket back to rack...

10-03-2006
still here

^I'm so jealous that you made it there already!! Damm my office for being too far to stop in for lunch. How did the handbag section look?

10-03-2006
flaunt the imperfection

it's not a co- op...
it is a full barney's store...
so they will be carrying pretty much all the major labels that barney's does...
with probably a smaller selection of items/sizes-just a smaller inventory...

thanks for the report caffeine...
now you won't have to get on that bus to chinatown anymore...

10-03-2006
follow the lights

sounds like an awesome selection... too bad i live a bit far away

10-03-2006
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baizilla
sounds like an awesome selection... too bad i live a bit far away
yeah, but you can go to Paris any time... with L'Eclaireur, all those flagships, Colette and what not...

10-03-2006
rising star

Any women's Dsquared?

10-03-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine
I'll check the inventory for you tomorrow, sir I'm pleasantly surprised.
btw, those Junya trench coats and jackets are amazing. The TAO trench coat also looked 1,000 times better than pictures. Now I am just praying that Bostonians are not into those designers and I can get them at sale

I totally love the ann dem jacket. but $1,200 seems high for it. I was torn putting that Lanvin jacket back to rack...

The good stuff sticks around until sale time even in Los Angeles. Your chances are probably pretty good in boring Boston (I'm refering to the masses, not you of course Caffeine). As far as I can tell only New York in the U.S.A. has enough people who like and are willing to pay for the good stuff such that you have to worry about someone snagging it from you at full price.

10-03-2006
kLm
front row

the women's selection is great, as for the men's, the jury is still out for me. they have demeulemeester, dior homme, cloak, branquinho, margiela, balenciaga... no carpe, raf, rick owens, yohji, junya (at least, i didn't see junya). no dries due to his prior agreement with louis boston. shoe selection is poor. a lot of prada, marc jacobs, trovata/co-op type stuff. very large suit selection. they mentioned they are already thinking about trying out raf and rick owens in the fall, but i'll wait and see. i did buy something from demeulemeester... not the piece from her i originally wanted, but a really nice one.

11-03-2006
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by haruki
The good stuff sticks around until sale time even in Los Angeles. Your chances are probably pretty good in boring Boston (I'm refering to the masses, not you of course Caffeine). As far as I can tell only New York in the U.S.A. has enough people who like and are willing to pay for the good stuff such that you have to worry about someone snagging it from you at full price.
yeah..in ny sometimes you have to get agressive to get what you really want...
the top i wanted from dries is sold out completely already...
had to go another route...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
barneys, boston, coming