How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-11-2006
rising star

More on Filene's Basements price tag re-dating
So the other day I was at the Downtown Crossing Filene's Basement in the shoe area - I had my baby in a stroller with me, so I had to take the elevator from the upstairs level to get there, and as I got out of the elevator I passed by an 'employees-only' storage room. The door was ajar and I saw shelves upon shelves of large cardboard boxes full of shoes sorted by size. The boxes were all marked "re-date". I tried to take a photo with my cellphone to post here but it didn't want to focus on them properly. I might try again next time I'm there.

Basically they systematically redate the shoes - and probably everything else too.

I noticed a couple of months ago in the Vault they had received a small Prada shipment - I was waiting for the price to drop on an orange jacket, which they had in a few sizes. I bought it the day it went down to 25% off, and then some time later when I was back at the Vault all of those orange Prada jackets were in the back room, tags now undated. They clearly didn't want them to go below 25% off, so they simply took them off the main selling area and removed the date stickers.

Last edited by Lady-Penelope; 12-11-2006 at 09:44 PM.

13-11-2006
fashion elite

Im going to be in Boston in about three weeks. Im going to hit the exhibit at the MFA and of course shopping on Newbury. Is there anything else I should see??? I really only have about two days though.

13-11-2006
V.I.P.

Lady-Penelope, the redating thing really makes me mad. they've been denying that for ages...and sometimes they even reintroduce stuff from years ago...

for example for the past 4 years or so, theyve been trying to sell a lot of items from the gaultier's "bondage" collection...

its funny how store policies change...years ago, the c. service at the basement people used to be timed how long they attended to people...not anymore...

14-11-2006
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92
Lady-Penelope, the redating thing really makes me mad. they've been denying that for ages...and sometimes they even reintroduce stuff from years ago...

for example for the past 4 years or so, theyve been trying to sell a lot of items from the gaultier's "bondage" collection...

its funny how store policies change...years ago, the c. service at the basement people used to be timed how long they attended to people...not anymore...
Whats the difference between the two Filene's now?

I kind of gathered that one is new, and really nice............and doesn't hold that great of "deals" while the other is kind of old and run down, and stuff is just piled up and takes forever to dig through.............but very worth the time.

Is that true???

14-11-2006
girl who fell to earth

filene's is/was(?) a big department store on par with macy's etc., while filene's basement is more of a discount retailer...

the boston location in downtown crossing (under the original filene's) is the biggest and "best" location but it definitely has a warehouse sort of feel.

what lucy was talking about in her post is one of the things they do at the store--almost all merchandise is stamped with dates and depending on how long the item has been in the store you can get a certain percentage of discount (there are signs posting that items before xx/xx get 15%, 30% off etc--i don't remember the percentage increments), but they most certainly redate certain merchandise so that it doesn't get to be too discounted...
which is infuriating

15-11-2006
go red sox

Questions about the MFA exhibit: Boston-area college students get into the museum free, right? So does that apply to this exhibit as well?

girl who fell to earth

^^ I think you probably still have to pay for the exhibit... things like that are not often included in student memberships as far as I know...

Also, I think it might depend on which college you go to... you need to show a student ID I think and your school probably has to be paying for some sort of membership... I'm a little shady on all these details so don't quote me on it

I'm sure if you called up the MFA they'd be able to let you know--you could also check their website.. they might have the info there

15-11-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacelover142002
Questions about the MFA exhibit: Boston-area college students get into the museum free, right? So does that apply to this exhibit as well?
You can easily find answers here.

University Members
http://www.mfa.org/members/sub.asp?key=98&subkey=357

Admission
http://www.mfa.org/visit/index.asp?key=3

Plus
Citizens Bank Foundation Wednesday Nights at the MFA: No general admission fee required. Every Wed, 4Ė9:45 pm. Voluntary donations welcome. Special exhibitions ticketed separately.

trendsetter

Speaking of MFA, has anyone been to their members-only tour? It's led by a trained and experienced guide and offers an opportunity for members to know the museum.

Forgot to add:
Students who are University Members receive free admission to "Fashion Show: Paris Collections 2006"—just show your college ID and see the exhibition any time the same day.

Last edited by LoveLetter; 15-11-2006 at 02:24 PM.
17-11-2006
go red sox

^Yeah, I saw that. Yay! I think I'll go this weekend. Thanks!

barack the vote

I'm going to the MFA exhibit tomorrow

17-11-2006
V.I.P.

it seems like tjmaxx is opening up two stores filled with higher end stuff, maybe just through xmas (the store is called themaxx) and they are at the natick mall and south shore plaza.

at my local tjmaxx theyve started marking down the designer stuff (miu miu jeans were 50$).good thing is the designer markdown stuff is still segregated, so its easy to find.

18-11-2006
girl who fell to earth

^themaxx has been in natick for almost a year now... quite a while anyway.

perhaps they're bringing in higher end merchandise for the holiday season?

it is like tjmaxx but it only sells accessories--so they've got shoes, bags, jewelry etc. there is typically more variety and bigger selection than in tjmaxx

i noticed the markdowns in the designer stuff as well.. i might have to stop by soon because i noticed some vivienne tam items i liked
maybe if i'm lucky they'll still be there...

18-11-2006
trendsetter

Went to see the fashion show today. Very disappointed! For some reason those exhibited clothes don't look like they worth that much money. Some Dior gowns even have unfinished hems or frayed. The whole exhibit is kinda dull. However, I love the fashion photography exhibit, very interesting.

Last edited by LoveLetter; 18-11-2006 at 07:13 PM.
21-11-2006
backstage pass

how much is sales tax in boston? I plan to move there for school but still doubtful coz they say boston is pretty expensive. So stuff like groceries are more expensive?thanks!

Last edited by young_princess; 21-11-2006 at 05:30 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boston, shopping