How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-11-2004
scenester

Quote:
Originally posted by boxma@Nov 10 2004, 01:34 AM
Faust, I think you are talking about Ricardo on Newbury St. They have Prada sports, Dolce and Gabbana, Dsquared, CDG, Chrome Heart, and Junya. For Alain Bilzerian, they also have Yohji, Margiela ....
[snapback]425591[/snapback]
Riccardi and Alan Bilzerian are both pretty cool stores. I found that Riccardi carries a lot of grey market items (they send someone to purchase the items from europe that aren't available here and then resell it) as well as a lot of crap (reworked tour t-shirts etc. etc. that are lame). Their sales are pretty good though, pretty deep discounts when it's time to clear out the shelves. The salespeople are pretty nice, normal people. Not the kind of people you usually see hawking the high end goods.

Alan Bilzerian is pretty cool. I didnt know they carried Dior (Dior homme perhaps?!?!?!) but they do carry the japanese brands listed before, as well as Maharishi. Some neat puma and adidas kicks as well. It's weird that it is one of the only stores I know of on Newbury where you have to get buzzed in the door though...

I find myself shopping at Neimans in boston a lot (I live in kenmore sq. real close to the virgin megastore side of newbury) for the variety and such.

They opened that marc jacobs on newbury not too long ago and I finally got a chance to stop in last weekend. It was more cramped and packed with clothes than I had expected it to be. Stuff wasn't way expensive, but nothing caught my eye incredibly so. They even sell skateboards hahahaha

11-11-2004
rising star

I went to Alan Bilzerian today, there is no Dior Homme and I dont see any Ann Dem also. Louis has a pretty good collection of Cloak, I am waiting for the winter sales to start .........

11-11-2004
backstage pass

No more Ann? Oh no
Perhaps the Boston folks didn't support the brand so they aren't carrying it anymore? I never saw Dior Homme there.
I just don't like Louis for some reason..I'm also findng that cloak isn't as unique as its been heralded...i kinda see it headed down the path of dsquared... the vibe is just blah.....anything else of note at Bilzerian???....sales should be starting up next month

Quote:
Originally posted by boxma@Nov 11 2004, 08:28 PM
I went to Alan Bilzerian today, there is no Dior Homme and I dont see any Ann Dem also. Louis has a pretty good collection of Cloak, I am waiting for the winter sales to start .........
[snapback]428001[/snapback]

11-11-2004
rising star

still same old stuff in AB, Issey, a little bit of Yohji, lots of MMM

12-11-2004
kLm
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by Theory@Nov 11 2004, 08:50 PM
No more Ann? Oh no
Perhaps the Boston folks didn't support the brand so they aren't carrying it anymore? I never saw Dior Homme there.
I just don't like Louis for some reason..I'm also findng that cloak isn't as unique as its been heralded...i kinda see it headed down the path of dsquared... the vibe is just blah.....anything else of note at Bilzerian???....sales should be starting up next month
[snapback]428023[/snapback]
A lot of the good Cloak stuff is already gone.. to my wardrobe. They had some really nice Neil Barrett stuff, too, some of which is in my wardrobe as well. I thought that Louis' Fall stuff was slightly weak, but I haven't loved a lot the Fall collections this year anyway. And I find Alan Bilzerian to be only vaguely interesting; they had a lot of CDG the last time I was in there (a month ago?), just a bunch of stuff I didn't find very inspiring. And I can't recall ever seeing Dior Homme there, although I'm not normally looking for it.

Market, which is in the South End but is moving to Newbury St., has some nice stuff (they had a lot of really nice Vivienne Westwood stock in September). It has a very strong gay vibe, which isn't my thing (clothes-wise, that is, I don't give a crap if you're gay or not)--i.e. summer is heavy on beachwear you'd sport down at PTown or South Beach. Maybe they'll tame it a bit on Newbury, I don't know.. who thought that they stuff at Riccardi's was grey market? Which stuff, like the Dolce stuff? I've always suspected some grey market stuff, but I talk to the owner quite a bit and he seems pretty legit--of course, I didn't come out and ask him if he was trading in the grey. Tough old-school businessguy. They are opening a denim gallery downstairs, now that the new Diesel flagship went in further up on Newbury.

12-11-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Theory@Nov 11 2004, 08:50 PM
No more Ann? Oh no
[snapback]428023[/snapback]
I'm not surprised that there is no more Ann in Boston. It is definitely a niche market brand.
I have to disagree about Cloak though. I think it's very fresh. I really don't see how it could be compared to D2 .

12-11-2004
backstage pass

the designs are far superior to Dsquared...i just mean right now they are getting rave reviews but I don't think it will last...i could be wrong though...remember dsquared was all the rage and now its completely despised by many although cloak does actually design whereas dsquared does...something.....
i just don't think cloak offers anything unique (to warrant such a premium price) that i can't locate elsewhere......its the little things that count though and i know they do an excellent job with buttons (saw a cardigan that used MOP buttons!!!!!) but I dunno...maybe it has to grow on me some more.........

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Nov 12 2004, 11:23 AM
I'm not surprised that there is no more Ann in Boston. It is definitely a niche market brand.
I have to disagree about Cloak though. I think it's very fresh. I really don't see how it could be compared to D2 .
[snapback]428660[/snapback]

12-11-2004
rising star

Klm, where is Market on Newbury St ? Why nobody mentions Filenne Basement in downtown crossing, I just pick up a Dolce & Gabanna pants for $75

13-11-2004
rising star

im not a huge fan of downtown crossing shopping area, it's kinda sketchy and smelly.

15-11-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Theory@Nov 12 2004, 07:10 PM
the designs are far superior to Dsquared...i just mean right now they are getting rave reviews but I don't think it will last...i could be wrong though...remember dsquared was all the rage and now its completely despised by many although cloak does actually design whereas dsquared does...something.....
i just don't think cloak offers anything unique (to warrant such a premium price) that i can't locate elsewhere......its the little things that count though and i know they do an excellent job with buttons (saw a cardigan that used MOP buttons!!!!!) but I dunno...maybe it has to grow on me some more.........
[snapback]429395[/snapback]
Hmm, I strongly beleive if you saw the Cloak selection at A and Opening Ceremony and not in Barneys, you'd change your mind. I love the buttons too. MOP buttons, are they wooden conic buttons? Was the cardigan thick knit? Because I think you are talking about the one that I bought...

I figured that you meant press reviews. But aside from tFS (and the recent Vogue nomination) I didn't see rave reviews anywhere else.

15-11-2004
rising star

Quote:
Originally posted by boxma@Nov 12 2004, 11:03 PM
Klm, where is Market on Newbury St ? Why nobody mentions Filenne Basement in downtown crossing, I just pick up a Dolce & Gabanna pants for $75
[snapback]429577[/snapback]
I don't think Market is on Newbury.. it is in south end I think the gay spot for boston. I know they carry Dsquared there... and they get their shipment like 6 month later than anyone else... they also have another store in Providence. I think they have a website... but pretty boring...

As with Filenes Basement.. yeah it is pretty good and you can find some good stuff in Filenes but they fly out of the door.

Oh.. how I miss boston when I studied there*sigh* ...

15-11-2004
rising star

Quote:
Originally posted by Chinorlz@Nov 10 2004, 11:40 AM
Riccardi and Alan Bilzerian are both pretty cool stores. I found that Riccardi carries a lot of grey market items (they send someone to purchase the items from europe that aren't available here and then resell it) as well as a lot of crap (reworked tour t-shirts etc. etc. that are lame). Their sales are pretty good though, pretty deep discounts when it's time to clear out the shelves. The salespeople are pretty nice, normal people. Not the kind of people you usually see hawking the high end goods.

I find myself shopping at Neimans in boston a lot (I live in kenmore sq. real close to the virgin megastore side of newbury) for the variety and such.

They opened that marc jacobs on newbury not too long ago and I finally got a chance to stop in last weekend. It was more cramped and packed with clothes than I had expected it to be. Stuff wasn't way expensive, but nothing caught my eye incredibly so. They even sell skateboards hahahaha
[snapback]426032[/snapback]

Riccardi is ok.. the owner is called Riccardo... yeah how original... their sale is pretty nice the highest Riccardi will go on sale is 50%(that was about 6 month ago last I was in touch with them) so they could be higher I don't know....

I find Louise boston is overpriced.. and you can always find it in Filenes basement, so I gave up going there long time ago...

15-11-2004
kLm
front row

Market isn't on Newbury yet, they are on Tremont in the South End (which is, yes, "the gay spot"), their selection isn't _the best_ but they will have some interesting stuff (and it is in-season, as far as I can tell). Who can be picky anyway when you live in Boston? New York is like heaven, especially where menswear is concerned, when compared to Boston. For that matter, Montreal is like heaven, compared to Boston.

And how is Louis overpriced? Expensive, yes, but if you compare the prices on what they carry versus the prices on the same items in New York, they're in sync. So they are either expensive, which is true, or overpriced in your mind in relation to the quality of items they sell, which is your opinion, but they are not overpriced in the sense that they are charging more for items that other stores are selling for less.

And you aren't going to find in Filene's Basement the same stuff that Louis' carries. What would be the point in carrying Cloak or Neil Barrett or whatever if it was going to end up there? They make money by exclusivity. And no, I don't know why I'm defending them or explaining anything, I don't even really like the store that much. Maybe I just need to justify to myself how much money I've spent over the years there... ;)

19-11-2004
scenester

A cute shop on Newbury Street is "Eye of the Needle". It's great for fun tees and sweaters. The only drawback are the saleswomen. My advice is to give them the same attitude that they give you! They also have a store on Nantucket - the clothes are a little more preppy - and the salespeople are much nicer!

04-01-2005
backstage pass

I'm heading to Boston next week and decided to revive this thread.
I saw Market profiled in DailyCandy Boston, so you guys are saying its not worth it? The review at Dailycandy made it seem so interesting....

Here's there website:
http://www.marketfashion.com/

Not much in the way of fashion but I may check it out anyways.
I never see great mens sportswear at the Filenes Basement there....you can do well suitswise....and I always see a bunch of Diesels there....and I don't think Louis Boston marks up their product anymore than your average boutique.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boston, shopping