How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-06-2007
V.I.P.

i did not know that armani cafe was closing. i never went there.
dreamecho, did you go to urban?

whenever i go into arden b and bebe the salespeople are using baby wipes to get stains off of clothing. apparently it works!

12-06-2007
front row

Yeah I think it's great that they knock off all the clothing for a tiny little stain that comes right out. Great finds come with spray-tanned girls who try on things they can't afford.

13-06-2007
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
i did not know that armani cafe was closing. i never went there.
dreamecho, did you go to urban?

whenever i go into arden b and bebe the salespeople are using baby wipes to get stains off of clothing. apparently it works!
I thought the cafe was pretty popular, it always looks busy when Ive gone by. I wonder why its closing??

13-06-2007
V.I.P.

Spanish fashion chain Zara becomes the first to sign on for Filene's site

By Jenn Abelson, Globe Staff | June 13, 2007
Spanish retailer Zara plans to open a store at the former Filene's building in Downtown Crossing, making the fast-fashion merchant the first to sign on with the $625 million redevelopment of the historic site, according to local officials.
Zara, which currently has no stores in Massachusetts, is opening this year in the Natick Collection and taking over a three-story shop next year on Newbury Street at the former Emporio Armani. Zara is a step above cheap chic rival H&M, which already has a store in Downtown Crossing, and Zara's entry will help elevate the reputation of the struggling shopping district, retail analysts said.
The redevelopment of the Filene's flagship, shuttered last year after Macy's took over the New England chain, has garnered significant interest from merchants. Developer Vornado Realty Trust has already expanded retail to four floors above ground (the plans initially called for three) along with Filene's Basement to operate on two floors below ground.
Construction is expected to begin this fall and the massive project is to include a 38-story tower, condominiums, hotel, office space, and retail stores.
"It's a great endorsement and it speaks to the power and opportunity of the market in Downtown Crossing to have someone like Zara place their store in this location," said Kristen Keefe , retail sector manager for the Boston Redevelopment Authority. "It's a great win for the district and it speaks volumes that more and more retailers are recognizing the strength of Downtown Crossing."
Keefe declined to comment on details of the deal. Zara also would not discuss the Downtown Crossing site, but spokeswoman Rocio Diaz Fernandez said, "For Zara, Boston is one of its target markets for expansion in the US and the company was looking for the best premises in the city. Boston fulfills all the requirements considered essential to the company."
New York firm Vornado Realty Trust did not return calls seeking comment. At the redeveloped Filene's site, Zara will be joined by Canadian merchant Club Monaco, according to a local official briefed on the deal who asked not to be identified because the agreements with Zara and Club Monaco are not yet finalized. A Club Monaco spokeswoman said the company "isn't scheduled to open a store."
Zara, which is owned by publicly traded firm Inditex SA, opened its first store in 1975 and now has more than 1,000 worldwide. The first shop in the United States opened in New York in 1989 and today there are 25 nationwide. The Spanish chain, along with rival H&M, pioneered the concept of fast fashion that has rapidly grown in popularity in recent years.
It's a lean business model that enables Zara to manufacture merchandise and get the garments on the shelves worldwide within two weeks. Clothes are dispatched twice a week to Zara stores, giving a constant renewal of fashion offerings and helping to drive frequent traffic, according to retail analysts.
"Their brilliance is getting from design to the floor in a matter of weeks," said Candace Corlett, a principal with retail consultancy WSL Strategic Retail in New York. "Zara isn't just cheap chic. It's better chic. Better fashion and price points that are higher than at H&M."
Zara's expansion in Boston reflects how merchants are recognizing the city's interest in fashion and the area's growing disposable income, said Madison Riley , a retail analyst with Kurt Salmon Associates. The arrival of stores like Barneys New York and Jimmy Choo in recent years underscores the growing importance of the Boston market. The city is hoping to capitalize on this interest to improve the retail mix and image of certain shopping districts -- with Downtown Crossing at the top of the list.
At a recent retail conference in Las Vegas, Mayor Thomas M. Menino courted department store JCPenney and North Carolina specialty grocer Fresh Market to locate at the new project in Downtown Crossing. Local officials who met with Vornado said the developer is open to talking with these potential merchants. Officials for JCPenney and Fresh Market said the retailers are looking to expand to the Boston market, but could not talk specifically about the Downtown Crossing site.

13-06-2007
V.I.P.

i think thats great about zara moving in. sucks that we would have to wait maybe a year or more for the downtown location and until "next year" for the zara on newbury street where emporio is.

now im keeping my fingers crossed for mango to come to boston.

13-06-2007
still here

I'm so excited over Zara!!

13-06-2007
fashion elite

So weird that there is a Zara in Orlando, Florida and not one in Boston. What is wrong with that picture???

I like Zara's clothes, but they are cut waaaaayyyy too small. Nothing ever fits me right. Darn European sizing. LOL.

and someone please tell me WHY is everything in Club Monaco only black and white???

13-06-2007
girl who fell to earth

at least the zara in natick should be opening this september...
that's certainly something to look forward to (only 20 minuted from my house woohoo!! )

i'm glad to hear that they are also going for the newbury st and downtown crossing location..
maybe a big store in that location will help to revitalize that area a bit.. seems encouraging

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyM View Post
at least the zara in natick should be opening this september...
that's certainly something to look forward to (only 20 minuted from my house woohoo!! )

i'm glad to hear that they are also going for the newbury st and downtown crossing location..
maybe a big store in that location will help to revitalize that area a bit.. seems encouraging
where exactly is Downtown Crossing?

15-06-2007
trendsetter

Zara stores in Europe are always crowded, but in the US the stores often look empty.

girl who fell to earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianastar View Post
where exactly is Downtown Crossing?
Downtown Crossing is on the opposite side if the commons from Newbury Street..

It's kind of hard for me to describe.. but if you were taking the green line you would get off at Park Street..

V.I.P.

Filene's Basement to shut flagship till '09

Firm failed to find a temporary site

By Jenn Abelson, Globe Staff | June 15, 2007
Filene's Basement, the landmark Boston merchant, has failed to find a temporary location in Downtown Crossing and will close its flagship store for nearly two years to make way for a massive redevelopment project.
The merchant, however, allayed shoppers' fears by saying it will preserve the store's famed automatic price markdowns when it reopens in spring 2009.
The chain is shuttering the downtown location Aug. 31 to accommodate a major project to convert the former Filene's department store building into condominiums, a hotel, offices, and retail space. Construction is expected to begin this fall.
"After an exhaustive search, Filene's Basement was unable to identify a temporary location that was large enough to accommodate their existing operations," the company said yesterday in a statement.
Mayor Thomas M. Menino yesterday criticized the retailer, saying Filene's Basement "could have found a location in the city if they really wanted to continue the business."
Boston officials tried to broker a deal for Filene's Basement, which employs about 220 union workers, to move into the vacant Barnes & Noble building in Downtown Crossing. Menino also said the city looked into finding space in a hotel near the convention center in South Boston.
"They made a corporate decision. I'm very frustrated," Menino said. "We've been a good partner with Filene's Basement. They've been a landmark, and we could have worked much closer with them."
The company is expected to receive $15 million to vacate its space while the developer renovates the building, said local officials who asked not to be identified because the deal is not public.

15-06-2007
fashion elite

wow.

Ive never actually been in a Filenes. Just the basement.

16-06-2007
girl who fell to earth

thanks lucy!!
too bad that they didn't find a temporary space.. Menino seems so miffed!

So glad to hear that they will be retaining the automatic markdown system when they reopen though..
that was definitely one of my main concerns..

V.I.P.

What's the best location to shop in Boston?

Last edited by kissmesweet; 18-06-2007 at 04:42 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boston, shopping