How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-01-2005
kLm
front row

Huh, if Market has moved I hadn't noticed, because they still have their shop in the South End. There wasn't much of interest to me when I looked last week, but if there is a shop on Newbury now they might have better stuff at that one. They have some nice stuff occasionally, but a lot of what they carry is definitely for bar-hopping in PTown.

I don't know what you are into, but really the only two places for me in town are Louis Boston and Alan Bilzerian. And maybe Riccardi's if I'm looking for some Costume National-type stuff, or good jeans.

05-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theory
I'm heading to Boston next week and decided to revive this thread.
I saw Market profiled in DailyCandy Boston, so you guys are saying its not worth it? The review at Dailycandy made it seem so interesting....

Here's there website:
http://www.marketfashion.com/

Not much in the way of fashion but I may check it out anyways.
I never see great mens sportswear at the Filenes Basement there....you can do well suitswise....and I always see a bunch of Diesels there....and I don't think Louis Boston marks up their product anymore than your average boutique.
I just looked at their brand line up - barf!!!

05-01-2005
kLm
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust
I just looked at their brand line up - barf!!!
I know, but then I went in and they had all this _really_ nice Vivienne Westwood stuff. Shrug..

05-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kLm
I know, but then I went in and they had all this _really_ nice Vivienne Westwood stuff. Shrug..
Vivienne Westwood as in the main line, not Anglomania?! Interesting!

02-05-2005
front row

Hi guys...good to see you all here
Woud love to meet some fashion loving girls
I also love shopping in AB, Louis, Serenella, Riccardi, Intermix & Stel's on Newbury
I like hang around in Neiman and Saks too

Just wanna mention this store call Tess in Harvard Square, their collections are not as fun as those stores on Newbury, but sometimes they got really nice stuff too. Oh, you can also make some bargains over there. I get a lot of Jil Sander & Blumarine from them

backstage pass

Tess doesn't happen to carry menswear does it? I'm guessing from the name that it doesn't

Still gotta hit up that Filene's basement in Newton!

02-05-2005
kLm
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinor1z
Tess doesn't happen to carry menswear does it? I'm guessing from the name that it doesn't

Nope, all women's wear at Tess. Have you been to Stel's at all? They've got quite a bit of stuff that I like, and they are very cool people.

12-05-2005
rising star

For vintage. I like the Closet Consigner as well. A couple new shops have opened at the new Hotel Commonwealth that are cool: Fanny and Delphine and Jean Therapy. Jean Therapy is cool, they have a great selection for such a small shop and tons of individual attention. You can make appointments on Mondays to privately try jeans on, and the owner is really great about making recs based on your body. My only drawback there was that i fell in love with a pair of Sacred Blue which she did not have in my size. She ordered them for me, and then I never heard back about them. When I finally got around to calling, she had totally forgot! So, she is very busy and if you need anything followed up on, you kind of need to get after her...
No mens though...

12-05-2005
backstage pass

Jean therapy carries jeans for both men and women. Although, there is definitely more in stock for womens. I don't know how well that store is doing... a lot of the denim brands are obscure and people overall are hesitant to spend $100+ on a brand that they aren't familiar with. Which is why sevens and diesel do so well.

I hope they keep it up though! It's just a block down the street from me (i'm in between hotel commonwealth and newbury.

12-05-2005
girl who fell to earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinor1z

Where is the Filene's basement in Newton? Is it the one in the mall . . . forgetting the name of which one . . . that is in the watertown area? Either way I don't think any of them compare to the Filene's basement in Boston dowtown crossing area . . .

12-05-2005
kLm
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyM
Where is the Filene's basement in Newton? Is it the one in the mall . . . forgetting the name of which one . . . that is in the watertown area? Either way I don't think any of them compare to the Filene's basement in Boston dowtown crossing area . . .
I think you're thinking of the Arsenal Mall, in Watertown--I actually think there might be a Filene's basement over in that area, which isn't the one we were referring to. The one we're talking about is near the Atrium/Chestnut Hill, off Rte. 9 in Newton. I don't know about women's, but there was at least as much stuff at the Newton location from Louis Boston as there was at the Downtown Crossing location, if not more..

12-05-2005
rising star

I didn't realize Jean Therapy had men's jeans... I'll have to drag my boyfriend there next time I go. He's addicted to Gap! Anyway, people are silly if they stick to only brands they know. It really ought to be about fit and the most flattering fit at that/ Anyway, I recently made the mistake of going to the Watertown Filene's Basement, and they had nothing, as usual. Anyway, has anyone tried that new boutique at the Atelier 505 building?

13-05-2005
girl who fell to earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by kLm
I think you're thinking of the Arsenal Mall, in Watertown--I actually think there might be a Filene's basement over in that area, which isn't the one we were referring to. The one we're talking about is near the Atrium/Chestnut Hill, off Rte. 9 in Newton. I don't know about women's, but there was at least as much stuff at the Newton location from Louis Boston as there was at the Downtown Crossing location, if not more..
Yes you're right! That was definitely the one I was thinking of . . . I go to school at BC and didn't even realize there was one off rte 9! It seems like I'll have to check it out too once I get back to the US

Thanks!

13-05-2005
rising star

My best finds still come from Filene's Basement, but I also bought a good number of really interesting items (I'm talking a 2K+ Gianfranco Ferre silk beaded dress for $75) at a place called Sym's when they had their downtown store three or four years ago. It's another discounter like Filene's Basement except few people know they carry some good Italian designers. They still exist but in out-of-town locations. I never have the time to go out there any more, but if you're curious check them out - it's hit or miss, just like any of these stores. Here are their MA locations (from syms.com):

560 Boston Providence Hwy. Norwood MA 02062
(781)769-8200

Monday- Friday 10:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Saturday 10:00 AM - 8:30 PM
Sunday 12:00 PM - 5:30 PM

216 Newbury St. Peabody MA 01960
(978)535-6102

Monday- Friday 10:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Saturday 10:00 AM - 8:30 PM
Sunday 12:00 PM - 5:30 PM

I'd love to hear what you thought of it, if you do go.

30-05-2005
scenester

valerie, where's the Closet Consigner located?

thanks!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boston, shopping