How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-08-2005
trendsetter

^ aww thanks everyone. I am going to be living/working/going to school in the Longwood Medical area. I think part of it is that I am going to be very homesick for LA.... the people and the shopping. Its hard to start over somewhere and have to make new friends, find new places to shop (goodbye miu miu and prada), find a new salon (goodbye frederic fekkai) etc... I certainly appreciate the tips and would love to get in contact with some TFSers from Boston.

04-08-2005
V.I.P.

Riccardi's actually has some miumiu&prada stuff

04-08-2005
tfs star

Yes, Riccardi's has some cute MiuMiu clothes there too...A few short weeks ago, I found the PERFECT pair of black jeans there, on sale for $85!!! They seem to be "hip" to the new It-Jean of the moment (I think they were the first in the city to start carrying TrueReligions)...But they also tend to carry items that look like I can make myself

Louis is cute too, although their shoe collection (for men at least) is quite lacking, IMO...They carry Neil Barrett & Dries Van Noten, so Im not hating...But I certainly wouldn't mind if they started re-stocking the Balenciaga's menswear again..

Stel's carries nice labels, but, Ive never been able to find anything there...But since I like the labels there, Im not giving up hope all together...

There's also Neimans & Saks, but since nobody here knows anything about them, I skip the details for another day

Oh, and there is a Barney's opening up here in Copley (near the Longwood area), but that's not until next year.

Regardless, best of luck when you get here! In my experience, it was a very very rocky transition when I first moved here, but, give it time. The city just grows on you after a while.

Oh yeah--one last bit: if you really really really really really want some hot couture, there's a bus that offers round-trip tickets to NYC for $15!!!!! I know what you're probably thinking--"a BUS, just to go shopping in New York", but trust me--there are people here that DO take the Chinatown Express just go go shopping in New York

04-08-2005
kLm
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcj
^ aww thanks everyone. I am going to be living/working/going to school in the Longwood Medical area. I think part of it is that I am going to be very homesick for LA.... the people and the shopping. Its hard to start over somewhere and have to make new friends, find new places to shop (goodbye miu miu and prada), find a new salon (goodbye frederic fekkai) etc... I certainly appreciate the tips and would love to get in contact with some TFSers from Boston. :)
Are you going to be at HMS, HSPH, something like that? I work in Longwood, and so does Chinor1z.

Riccardi's stocks Miu Miu but not in huge quantities, and there is a lot of Prada around. I don't know what to tell you about finding a hair salon ;)

04-08-2005
V.I.P.

Hair Salon? Again, my finger is pointing to Newbury Street...too many of them!
Yeah I'm looking forward to the Barney's NY new store...

04-08-2005
backstage pass

kLm, I didn't know you were at Longwood... which hospital?

I'm actually at MGH in an HMS lab (tissue engineering) until med school in fall '06. Damn applications...

As for Boston fashion, if you were to really generalize, I'd say it was pretty conservative. Lot of the older group wear zegna, armani and "banker-wear" as I like to call it.

Because of the number of colleges in the area, you also get a lot of that college look (you know... girls wearing skirts/jeans with a popped collar polo and too-large sunglasses, dudes with their ill fitting button up striped shirt untucked with beat up jeans and cheap black dress shoes... collar popped). Even though stores like Bilzerian are on newbury, my feeling is that most of the stock is purchased by people outside of Boston as they do take some phone orders. I'm constantly wondering where all that LMaltieri/CDiem disappears to.

My roommate and I may very well be one of the small small small handful of people in the city that wears brands like Dior Homme...

Regardless! It's a great city for academics, eats, and for its close proximity to NYC while still being a clean, small, safe city.

Plus BU chicks are hot... often not so smart... but hot hahahahaha

04-08-2005
scenester

I moved from Orange County to New Hampshire two years ago and I had a hard time adjusting to the available shopping. In OC I would hit Newport and South Coast on a regular basis and go up to LA like once a month. Now I travel to Boston every couple of months to check out the stores but it is totally different than west coast. I still call my SA back @ Neimans Fashion Island to track down stuff for me.

04-08-2005
V.I.P.

Chinor1z, I swear I never saw a single person in Boston wearing Dior Homme! Very nice taste!
There are also lots of rich people living in the burbs. they just buy countless of Chanel jackets etc. I rarely see them in the city besides the Chanel trunk show...
Wellesley girls are smart and cute, and that's why they drove all the MIT dudes nuts

04-08-2005
V.I.P.

btw, MarcJ, be prepared for the winter!!!

04-08-2005
kLm
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinor1z
kLm, I didn't know you were at Longwood... which hospital?

I'm actually at MGH in an HMS lab (tissue engineering) until med school in fall '06. Damn applications...
I'm at DFCI. No med school for me, I'm working on my Master's in computational mathematics, although I don't even work with statistical analysis that much. I do get around to the other hospitals and schools quite a bit, though, as I do a lot of cross-institutional systems architecture; I hardly ever go to MGH though, it is too far and the parking sucks.

Caffeine, the winter allows you to buy loads of great jackets and sweaters and such that you'd never buy or wear in LA!

04-08-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kLm
I'm at DFCI. No med school for me, I'm working on my Master's in computational mathematics, although I don't even work with statistical analysis that much. I do get around to the other hospitals and schools quite a bit, though, as I do a lot of cross-institutional systems architecture; I hardly ever go to MGH though, it is too far and the parking sucks.

Caffeine, the winter allows you to buy loads of great jackets and sweaters and such that you'd never buy or wear in LA!
Great point kLm! I was actually thinking that MarcJ will have a decent shopping spree for the coming winter! Yes I am looking foward to the winter now cuz I can wear lots of rich colors and well tailored pieces

04-08-2005
trendsetter

aww.. thanks so much everyone for being so sweet and taking so much time to answer me!

I am going to MCP in fall to start a combined BS Chemistry/PharmD.... (doctor of pharmacy).... My longterm goal is after I graduate, to do a pharmacy residency and fellowship in Infectious Disease or Transplantation and one day become a clinical pharmacist. Im currently working as a research assistant in HIV/AIDS clinical trials and am hoping to continue that sort of work when I move to Boston. Chinor1z- I worked one summer in a histology lab.... all was well until the fourmaldehyde toxicity got to me. Which med schools have you applied to?

its so great to hear some ingsight and opinions on fashion in boston. Thank you Caffeine, Chinor1z, kLM, Tallulah, Trophey Brown.... Do any of you guys mind if I PM you?

04-08-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine
Great point kLm! I was actually thinking that MarcJ will have a decent shopping spree for the coming winter! Yes I am looking foward to the winter now cuz I can wear lots of rich colors and well tailored pieces
haha check out my new Miu Miu coat in the shopaholics thread!

04-08-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
haha check out my new Miu Miu coat in the shopaholics thread!
that's classic! great buy! I love the color
I don't mind pms at all

05-08-2005
kLm
front row

Quote:
aww.. thanks so much everyone for being so sweet and taking so much time to answer me!

I am going to MCP in fall to start a combined BS Chemistry/PharmD.... (doctor of pharmacy).... My longterm goal is after I graduate, to do a pharmacy residency and fellowship in Infectious Disease or Transplantation and one day become a clinical pharmacist. Im currently working as a research assistant in HIV/AIDS clinical trials and am hoping to continue that sort of work when I move to Boston. Chinor1z- I worked one summer in a histology lab.... all was well until the fourmaldehyde toxicity got to me. Which med schools have you applied to?

its so great to hear some ingsight and opinions on fashion in boston. Thank you Caffeine, Chinor1z, kLM, Tallulah, Trophey Brown.... Do any of you guys mind if I PM you?
Sure, go ahead with the PM. MCP has a great program, I've got a few friends who went through it. I was just actually at an ID clinic this morning getting shots for my upcoming trip to SE Asia.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boston, shopping