How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-08-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcj
hey everyone, I finally made it to Boston (after missing my flight, going on standy by blah blah).... Ive found Whole Foods and Marc Jacobs and have taken the T and got pretty lost.... so where do all of the cool people hang out? ha. thanks.
cool! welcome!
Where do you stay? you found Marc jacobs...haah!
The bars in MIT area are full of bio engineers. I like Miracle of Science on Mass Ave. They have great burgers and cheap eats+drinks. The bars in downtown area are full of business people and lawyers, and teh bars in BAckbay area in general are hip and cool. I like the Tea Luxe store on Newbury street quite close to the MJ store. (on the other side of the street) welcome to pm us:-D

28-08-2005
trendsetter

aww, thanks for the tips guys! Im living right off of Longwood ave and will be going to school here and hopefully working nearby soon also. Its actually been a harder adjustment than i thought it would be, figuring out how to get around etc. Im really love independant films, and was wondering if you guys knew of any good theatres that dont just have crap, like amc. Have any of you heard of the film program at the MFA? Things seem really mellow here... are most of the school not in session yet? Im just not much of a night person.... Id rather be learning virology.

28-08-2005
V.I.P.

I heard that a movie theatre in cambridge shows independent movies. Yes the MFA movies are good and you can check out the schedule on their website. Coolidge Corner theatre shows independent movies as well.

28-08-2005
front row

Quote:
Im really love independant films, and was wondering if you guys knew of any good theatres that dont just have crap, like amc. Have any of you heard of the film program at the MFA? Things seem really mellow here... are most of the school not in session yet? Im just not much of a night person.... Id rather be learning virology.
Get yourself on the Green Line C train (or walk a mile or so west) and get yourself to the Coolidge Corner Theatre:

http://www.coolidge.org/

For absolutely fabulous sushi, check out Fugakyu at 1280 Beacon Street.

Coolidge Corner in general has a lot of fun restaurants and bars. There's an Irish bar that's particularly fun (I forget the name, it's been a while). It's a very friendly and cozy neighborhood, so just go and hang out.

Miracle of Science is hands-down the best bar in the MIT area. Great food and beer, fun "lab" atmosphere. There's a Carribean restaurant next door that's lots of fun as well (forget the name). That area is a bit seedy at night, so be careful.

Newbury street is a beautiful walking and shopping area, and has lots of bars and restaurants full of beautiful people. I particularly like the Cottonwood Cafe, which has a Southwest theme. Best mango margeritas you'll ever taste. At the Eastern end of Newbury Street is the public garden, which is a great place to relax and people-watch. You can even take a ride on a swan boat, if you like. The Make Way For Ducklings statues are there, too. Nearby are Hermes, Escada, and other chi-chi boutiques.

Walk across Boston Common, and you'll wind up at Charles Street. This street is filled with antiques, vintage clothing shops, art galleries, and eclectic boutiques, as well as many cozy restaurants and bakeries. You can even duck into the very touristy Cheers bar, if you like.

Keep heading East, and you'll wind up at Downtown Crossing, home of Filene's Basement. Great deals, if you're willing to elbow people aside and dig. There's another Filene's in Newton which is a bit less of a madhouse; but the Boston Filene's is the original. In that general area is Mantra, which features a hookah bar, open only after 10pm (check on that, as it's been a few years). Downstairs is a thumpa-thumpa dance club. Also nearby is The Littlest Bar, a really delightful (and, as you might expect given the name, SMALL) Irish bar. Irish bars in general are plentiful and fun in Boston.

29-08-2005
kLm
front row

Quote:
aww, thanks for the tips guys! ;) Im living right off of Longwood ave and will be going to school here and hopefully working nearby soon also. Its actually been a harder adjustment than i thought it would be, figuring out how to get around etc. Im really love independant films, and was wondering if you guys knew of any good theatres that dont just have crap, like amc. Have any of you heard of the film program at the MFA? Things seem really mellow here... are most of the school not in session yet? Im just not much of a night person.... Id rather be learning virology. :ninja:
The best place for catching indie and foreign films is the Brattle Theater in Harvard Square--can't beat their double features. They show a mix of current movies, old movies, restored movies, rarities, etc. If you can't find something you want to watch there 4 nights out of the week then you don't know what it means to be a film buff ;) The Loews in Harvard Square opens "big" indie and foreign movies, the Oscar-worthy titles and ones with a lot of buzz (they also do the Rocky Horror show every Saturday at midnight, which is a lark). Then there is the Landmark Kendall Theatre in Kendall Square, which has a lot of current foreign and indie movies. Even though I like the Coolidge, it is a distant fourth, in my opinion, based on quality of films (but the Brattle is by far the most uncomfortable place to catch a film).

This weekend and next weekend are when all the students move in, and the city gets busy.

29-08-2005
trendsetter

Chinor1z, caffeine, tinuvielberen, kLm, thanks so much for all of the tips! Im going to definitely scout everything mention out. Very thoughtful of all of you. Has anyone heard of Back Bay Yoga or Baron Baptiste??

29-08-2005
backstage pass

Ah kLm you beat me to Brattle. Wonderful place! I caught Versus there a couple of summers ago (Zombie vs. Yakuza vs. Immortals movie, awesome!).

Marcj, I haven't heard of either place. Near MGH (Mass. General Hospital) there is this new yoga facility called Dhana Yoga or something like that.... may be worth checking out.

Yeah, wait for a couple of weeks and you'll get all the people in the city you want. I personally HATE it when all the BU kids are back in. Riding the subways with that deer-in-the-headlights look as they travel en-masse asking everyone where they're from, what their major is, where newbury street is... kill me.

Can't wait until winter. Less people out, get to wear awesome winter clothes, and it makes restaurants that much more inviting!

I think it's going to rain today.... so overcast!

29-08-2005
backstage pass

OH How I miss Boston!!! I went to BU for 4 years and loved every second! (Don't worry, Chinor1z, I was definitely NOT one of those kids on the T nor am I one of the dumb BU girls you've met...hahahahah).

Anyway, some shopping tips I picked up.... Copley/Prudential Center (home to Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue), Intermix on Newbury, Louis of Boston on Newbury, Burberry on Newbury... I didn't do much shopping in Boston since I'd go back to Miami and Rio pretty often and shop there instead!

Well, if I think of any more places I'll let you know. I agree with the people here on this thread and I think that Newbury is the place to go. Walking down Newbury you'll find lots of little stores. (Betsy Johnson has a store on Newbury too). Oh, there's also a shuttle to NYC... about $200 I think...

Enjoy Boston!

trendsetter

^ yeah, its probably good the shopping isnt as great as in LA or NYC here.... leaves me plenty of time to study, but I can still take a break to Marc Jacobs... Isnt there an intermix in NY? just womens, right?

haha yeah, I am probably one of those mosquito right before it hits the windshield looking people on the T. Ive been relying on the kindness of strangers, which hasnt proved to be accurate at all.

29-08-2005
V.I.P.

Just add one thing: if you take the bus from Chinatown, the round trip costs you $30

Quote:
Originally Posted by z.cesca
OH How I miss Boston!!! I went to BU for 4 years and loved every second! (Don't worry, Chinor1z, I was definitely NOT one of those kids on the T nor am I one of the dumb BU girls you've met...hahahahah).

Anyway, some shopping tips I picked up.... Copley/Prudential Center (home to Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue), Intermix on Newbury, Louis of Boston on Newbury, Burberry on Newbury... I didn't do much shopping in Boston since I'd go back to Miami and Rio pretty often and shop there instead!

Well, if I think of any more places I'll let you know. I agree with the people here on this thread and I think that Newbury is the place to go. Walking down Newbury you'll find lots of little stores. (Betsy Johnson has a store on Newbury too). Oh, there's also a shuttle to NYC... about $200 I think...

Enjoy Boston!

29-08-2005
V.I.P.

I love that marc jacobs store. Mary, the store manager, is a very sweet lady. I like Rob very much as well. They are wonderful people!

Quote:
^ yeah, its probably good the shopping isnt as great as in LA or NYC here.... leaves me plenty of time to study, but I can still take a break to Marc Jacobs... Isnt there an intermix in NY? just womens, right?

haha yeah, I am probably one of those mosquito right before it hits the windshield looking people on the T. Ive been relying on the kindness of strangers, which hasnt proved to be accurate at all.

30-08-2005
backstage pass

Quote:

That's obnoxious. People give you inaccurate directions? The T is really simple once you get to know it. Give it a couple of weeks and you'll be rocking it like a pro.

And like all T pro's, don't take the orange line south at night hahahaha.

z.cesca, I just harbor animosity towards the BU peeps because that's all I ever see around (being in Kenmore, right on the edge of the campus). I end up getting the brunt of it I imagine. Of course there are always the good mixed in the with the bad hahaha.

Cheers!
A

04-09-2005
trendsetter

Does anyone know of a good tailor in Boston? How about a good dry cleaners? I need to get my Burberry leather trench coat altered and I need a miu miu shirt dry cleaned!

04-09-2005
backstage pass

Not sure about dry cleaners ( just don't ever go to any in Allston! They nearly ruined a white Bally dress shirt I had)... but I always get my alterations done by Jordan the Tailor on Newbury. He does a pretty good job and at fair prices. He's willing to work with you in times when you need alterations done on short notice too.

04-09-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinor1z
Not sure about dry cleaners ( just don't ever go to any in Allston! They nearly ruined a white Bally dress shirt I had)... but I always get my alterations done by Jordan the Tailor on Newbury. He does a pretty good job and at fair prices. He's willing to work with you in times when you need alterations done on short notice too.
I'm looking for a tailor who can handle designer pieces as well. Tailoro on Newbury does that for girls?

I was told that the tailor on Boylston st. next to the Louis Boston store is quite good. I have not tried it yet, but I plan to bring a couple of skirts for alteration.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boston, shopping