How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-11-2004
windowshopping

Boston shopping
I am from Boston myself and know all of the common areas but I'm looking for some new places to expand my shopping spectrum. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. A good place for some vintage stuff or some cool little shops? If not I'll have to do some more research myself I guess, thanks in advance!

07-11-2004
fashion elite

My brother lives in Boston and when ever I vist him I always go to Nuberry street. The stores have really gotten progressively better over the years. Louis Boston is probably the absolute best (it feels like a family owned Barney's--sans the bitchy sales people and the obnoxious wanna-be-it-girl customers), but there are a whole bunch of little second hand and vintage stores along the steet. The closer you get to the Commons the better the stores seem to get, and it isnt just typical high end BS.

backstage pass

it's newbury street. .. but it's pretty much the well known shopping area (+ copley place + the shops at the pru)......

i haven't actually done research lately ... but a few years ago there were some really cute vintage shops in Harvard Sqaure.. not too far down from the T stop....but i'm not sure how it is todayy...i ahven't been there for a few years (...i can never get anyone to venture with me to find the good stuff.....it's always the designer stores people wanna go to...)

...but harvard square is pretty well known for shopping too...so i'm not much help... (i'm from a suburb...i only actually get into boston for shopping maybe once or twice a month, if i'm lucky)....

rising star

ya, im a suburbian who tries to get into boston as often as possible too. i agree with everyone on newbury, harvard, coply/pru.
but i wanna add charles street to the list! its SO boston, a total must visit. make sure u get some pizza from The Upper Crust. its the absolute best.
fanuil hall/quincy market can be passed over. nothing special really.

08-11-2004
V.I.P.

I visit Boston pretty often. I am afraid besides Louis of Boston there is not much to look at. There is also a pretty good store on Newburry that I forget the name of, it's some Italian name, starts with S. They carry Costume National, Prada, CDG, etc...

08-11-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Nov 8 2004, 02:42 PM
I visit Boston pretty often. I am afraid besides Louis of Boston there is not much to look at. There is also a pretty good store on Newburry that I forget the name of, it's some Italian name, starts with S. They carry Costume National, Prada, CDG, etc...
[snapback]423389[/snapback]
Here is a link to Louis of Boston, btw

Louis

08-11-2004
windowshopping

Hmm maybe you should checkout downtown crossing. Fanuel Hall is mostly tourist junk with the occasional Ann Taylor Loft. Also Newburry Street and Harvard square like everyone else said. Cambridgeside galleria?

08-11-2004
windowshopping

There's the Garment District in Cambridge.

this is the website:
http://www.garment-district.com/

they have vintage clothes

08-11-2004
backstage pass

You should check out Alan Bilzerian on Newbury St. Great shop and they carry items like Ann Demeulemeester, Dior, etc. If you are prone to changing your mind, don't shop there as they don't allow cash refunds...better hit up Barneys at the Mall at Chestnut Hill (ladies only).

Newbury is ultra trendy, but I like it to an extent. A nice mix of chains and indie type stores.

Faust, I think the store you are thinking of is Serenella. if that is Italian.....
But they carry tons of European collections for women....nice spot....
Calypso and Intermix are also on Newbury. I think a woman, even one who is fashion forward can really do well in Boston My wife likes it there, but I'm usually confined to the Neimans at Copley or the Saks at Pru Center, both of which aren't the greatest in terms of menswear.

08-11-2004
windowshopping

I'm actually from a suburb about 15 minutes out of boston myself, but the train makes it pretty easy for me to get in there. I have been to majority of the places you guys mentioned, I have not been to Louis of Boston and will definitely have to check it out. The garment district is fun, you have to have some time to spend, especially if you plan to dig around in the $1 for a pound of clothes pile haha. Thanks for all your help everyone, I'm still hoping to discover some hidden treasure of boston where I can find some amazing stuff If I do I'll keep you posted!

08-11-2004
backstage pass

hey bostonians!!! good to know that there are a few of us out there go over to wellesley if you can get there and check out gretta luxe...great clothes....marc jacobs, miu miu, balenciaga...and also, for some cheaper, funkier clothing try house of culture on newbury...i like that place alot

Don't blame me: I'm From Massachusetts

At least It Ain't Bush '08
09-11-2004
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally posted by sugarpea@Nov 8 2004, 10:26 PM
hey bostonians!!! good to know that there are a few of us out there go over to wellesley if you can get there and check out gretta luxe...great clothes....marc jacobs, miu miu, balenciaga...and also, for some cheaper, funkier clothing try house of culture on newbury...i like that place alot
[snapback]424049[/snapback]
house of culture actually shut down recently...sadly too, i liked that place

im from ny and in boston now for school...ill be honest...i leave most of my shopping when i go back home. boston shopping is a little... eek! Although im the type who hates malls and dept stores... if you are looking for something a little different, but still trendyish, try Stil on Newbury (#170)... i did a show for them and they have some awesome clothes you cant find at most places. i think the garment district sucks most of the time, too overdone for my tastes, but i do like the downstairs clothes by the pound part if i have a ton of time and are not looking for anything specific......

one store i love i love is second time around on newbury...designer resale, but very reasonably priced

the south end has a couple cute little boutiques... gotta search for them though, they usually arent very obvious...

Louis is a lot like Barneys,although too bland for my tastes... their cafe is great though

im still searching for one amazing vintage store.... but luckily new york is only a short drive away

right now the question on my mind is if the lagerfield line for H and M is coming to Boston as one of its select cities

09-11-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Theory@Nov 8 2004, 07:25 PM
You should check out Alan Bilzerian on Newbury St. Great shop and they carry items like Ann Demeulemeester, Dior, etc. If you are prone to changing your mind, don't shop there as they don't allow cash refunds...better hit up Barneys at the Mall at Chestnut Hill (ladies only).

Newbury is ultra trendy, but I like it to an extent. A nice mix of chains and indie type stores.

Faust, I think the store you are thinking of is Serenella. if that is Italian.....
But they carry tons of European collections for women....nice spot....
Calypso and Intermix are also on Newbury. I think a woman, even one who is fashion forward can really do well in Boston My wife likes it there, but I'm usually confined to the Neimans at Copley or the Saks at Pru Center, both of which aren't the greatest in terms of menswear.
[snapback]423821[/snapback]
Yes, Serenella, thank you! What is this store that carries Ann and Dior?! Do they have men's stuff?

09-11-2004
backstage pass

Yes, they have mens.
I'm in Boston monthly at the very least and besides Newbury and a few spots in Cambridge, there isn't much....I actually like Newbury a lot.....

The name of the store is Alan Bilzerian., it's located pretty close to the Banana Republic flagship (maybe 1 or 2 stores down). It's a great spot....I'm shocked you have bypassed it....they don't have a selection like Barneys, but it's well edited and defintely worth a glance....I'm too fickle to mess with no refund back policies......

09-11-2004
rising star

Faust, I think you are talking about Ricardo on Newbury St. They have Prada sports, Dolce and Gabbana, Dsquared, CDG, Chrome Heart, and Junya. For Alain Bilzerian, they also have Yohji, Margiela ....

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
boston, shopping