How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-04-2006
V.I.P.

So...I'm going back to Chicago sometime this summer, but have a few questions. When are the sales? And do they have sales at the actual boutiques, or at department stores, only?

22-04-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilaughead
So...I'm going back to Chicago sometime this summer, but have a few questions. When are the sales? And do they have sales at the actual boutiques, or at department stores, only?
Um...i would guess most sells are around christmas time and then also around when the fall stuff is coming in and the spring stuff is going out. Yes many boutiques have sales. I know Burberry puts a sign in the window saying sale and Hermes had a sale when i was in there. Everyone has sales! lol

23-04-2006
V.I.P.

I just think it sounds so funny for a high end boutique to have a sale. It just seems so odd. Of course, who's complaining!? But are the sales in like, July for S/S? It's nice that there were few collections I actually liked this season, it makes it a lot cheaper!

23-04-2006
EdK
trendsetter

why is it odd? no store gets rid of their stock completely, and when next seasons stuff comes in they need to make room. if buyers bought product for a store just enough so that everything is gone, then the store would look empty and lame, sometimes merchandise is overbought on purpose to keep the store looking well stocked. thats when sale plays a key role. and believe me, even if you buy something at like 40% off, theyre still making a good profit off you.

Last edited by EdK; 23-04-2006 at 10:03 AM.
23-04-2006
V.I.P.

^^^ Thats true...especially downtown there is a HUGE markup. Rent down there is sooo HIGH its like $50,000 a month and thats for a smaller store.

23-04-2006
EdK
trendsetter

brand name boutiques and department stores arent allowed to have a higher markup.

23-04-2006
V.I.P.

Im talking about smaller boutiques that sell designer things. I thought that department stores had to sell at retail

23-04-2006
EdK
trendsetter

yes some of the privately owned boutiques mark things up, like george greene.

23-04-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdK
yes some of the privately owned boutiques mark things up, like george greene.
Yea i was thinking Ikram too

23-04-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdK
brand name boutiques and department stores arent allowed to have a higher markup.
if they sell at retail and the private boutiques make up then which one is the best deal? I guess it depends on the private boutique if they sell under retail compared to the department store...so to find the retail price i guess one could call the company and ask then weigh their options

24-04-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohnson
There is a store up north called Flashy Trash. They sell really old vinatage designer clothing: versace...etc...i dont really know anything else though Im more into the newer stores and stuff
If you're thinking of the Halsted location -- it's been closed for about a year. It was supposed to reopen somewhere in Bucktown, but I haven't heard if it has ... I didn't really dig it much anyway.

Le Fetishe in UK Village has vintage couture (or did):
http://www.dailycandy.com/article.js...d=21725&city=5

And Penelope's down the street is a cool boutique.

25-04-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesuisici
If you're thinking of the Halsted location -- it's been closed for about a year. It was supposed to reopen somewhere in Bucktown, but I haven't heard if it has ... I didn't really dig it much anyway.

Le Fetishe in UK Village has vintage couture (or did):
http://www.dailycandy.com/article.js...d=21725&city=5

And Penelope's down the street is a cool boutique.
oh i didnt know that.....lol ok thx

28-04-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATE
are you talking about the HollyWood Mirror on Belmont Ave? I can never find anything in those stores!
that's the one. it is pretty hit or miss, i only have a few things in my closet from there, a couple of dresses, i think. the shop is pretty good for kitschy things for your home, though, it's fun just looking inside. ragstock used to be okay for vintage finds but it's soooo bad now, i don't know what happened. i haven't been to belmont in forever so i don't really know what's going on over there.

28-04-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by june gloom
that's the one. it is pretty hit or miss, i only have a few things in my closet from there, a couple of dresses, i think. the shop is pretty good for kitschy things for your home, though, it's fun just looking inside. ragstock used to be okay for vintage finds but it's soooo bad now, i don't know what happened. i haven't been to belmont in forever so i don't really know what's going on over there.
Have u been to this store called Yumi? Its really cool. Its japanese inspired with outfits from local designers. I love it. Oh btw is like on rush or something like that lol

29-04-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohnson
Have u been to this store called Yumi? Its really cool. Its japanese inspired with outfits from local designers. I love it. Oh btw is like on rush or something like that lol
no, i haven't, but thanks for the tip! i'll check it out soon.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
chicago, shopping