How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-10-2005
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

Thanks for this article. Chicago has never been in the forefront in the fashion world, but it's good to know it's lurking around.

And I agree, Oak St. is definitely the prime spot for shopping.

19-10-2005
windowshopping

i stayed in chicago for a couple of years and i really liked this designer calvin tran...pretty affordable for exclusive pieces

19-10-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpege
It's still hard enough to find any place that stocks Dior Homme in Chicago, so I figure the chances of Ann Dem, Chalayan, or any of the Maltieri/Continues lines is near impossible. Too bad we are not as avant-garde with clothing as we are with food in this city! We have Alinea, but not Linea... (sorry for the bad pun, if that is what it was!)
Did you try George Green, the men's boutique on Oak St.? I know they carry Dior Homme although I have never been able to check that store personally since everytime I was in Chicago on Holiday it was closed! I was looking for a pair of Balenciaga pants sometime last year, and someone refered me to George Green. I talked with them on telephone once or twice. They told me they carried Dior Homme, Chrome Heart and maybe also Yohji and Issey Miyake which I am not quite sure now. They also carry those conservative brands like Belvest and Kiton. They used to carry Balenciaga but dropped it because of the sizing problem since no one in Chicago could fit into those tiny clothes!

Chicago is a quite stifling place in terms of men's fashion shopping and it's still getting worse. I was there at Saks on Michigan Ave. around Independence day. A SA told me they even used to carry Ann Demeulemeester for men and also Raf Simons! They dropped MMM 10 recently since it didn't sell. I saw a whole rack of Issey Miyake on final sale with full sizes of every single piece. Their buyers apparently bought the most wearable and understated pieces of Issey Miyake that season (which were still ten times more interesting than those Dolce&Gabbana and John Varvatos on the same floor), but it looked like Chicago or I probably should say Mid-west American gentlemen still didn't buy it.

Talking about Barneys Chicago, that's a place with much much worse and more limited selection of everything compared with Madison Avenue store while their SAs got much much more attitude than their counterparts on Madison Avenue. Only people who haven't seen enough good things would got that kind of attitude.

19-10-2005
rising star

Haoshcn- Thanks for the reply. I do remember stopping in George Greene about a year and a half ago. At the time they had some Dior Homme, but mostly the really conservative items (navy and grey wool suits in larger 50 and 52 sizes, as well as some white, black and grey shirts.) There was one really loud leather jacket from the Luster or Strip period that I tried on, but it was like $5500 marked down to $3000! They are very expensive! I can't even imagine what they want for the Neopolitian labels like Kiton, but it is probably well over five grand for a suit. Too bad I didn't go when they carried Balenciaga...I probably could have fit into some of the pieces and got them at final final markdown...

Anyway, I didn't know Saks used to carry any Belgium designers! They are probably the best option in the city, so I'll keep my eye on them and hope things get a little better, otherwise I'll probably keep doing what I have been and spend all my money in the restaurants, rather than the clothing stores!

21-10-2005
trendsetter

thank you for the informational article I like to visit Chicago and shop, but I havent found any places with unique vintage clothing yet.

03-01-2006
rising star

My sisters friend told her that there is a new mall downtown called "The MarketPlace" that just opened... does anyone know what she's talking about?

03-01-2006
rising star

Also, does anyone have a map of downtown chicago??
I always get confused where armitage, lincoln park, state is.. so it would be great to have a map with the different stores on it.
THANKS!

08-01-2006
backstage pass

i love Ikram

08-01-2006
EdK
trendsetter

armitage and state are streets and lincoln park is a city like a burrough right outside chicago sort of like a brooklyn to manhattan. state is located in downtown chicago, where the flagship marshall fields (maybe soon to be a macys?) is located. and the shopping on armitage is located in lincoln park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionRoyalty
Also, does anyone have a map of downtown chicago??
I always get confused where armitage, lincoln park, state is.. so it would be great to have a map with the different stores on it.
THANKS!

10-01-2006
rising star

thanks

does anyone know any stores in chicago that sell cute unique jewelry?

22-01-2006
rising star

Is there a 'White Trash Charms' store in chicago?
Also, where can I buy Free People clothing in Chicago besides bloomingdales on michigan ave.?

22-01-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionRoyalty
Is there a 'White Trash Charms' store in chicago?
Also, where can I buy Free People clothing in Chicago besides bloomingdales on michigan ave.?
you can buy free people clothing at the Marshall Field's on State street

22-01-2006
rising star

thanks! do they have a large selection?

17-02-2006
PopWillEatItself

Can anyone tell me where to get Rick Owens in Chicago?

18-02-2006
V.I.P.

^Probably Blake or Barneys?

There are some fabulous boutiques (I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet) off of Halstead and Armitage in Lincoln Park. They've recently added some new stores too. Off the top of my head there is Active Endeavors, American Apparel, Calvin Tran, Cynthia Rowley, Betsey Johnson, Club Monaco, some fantastic beauty boutiques including Lush, and McShane's Exchange (the most AMAZING consignment shop)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
chicago, shopping