How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-08-2009
V.I.P.

Top 10 Independent Shops: Wicker Park

Once an indie rock hotbed, now a boutique bonanza, there’s lots of hip shopping in this ‘hood.

Habit
Lindsey Boland’s boutique showcases original handmade clothes and accessories from about 50 up-and-coming designers (such as Suzabelle, Alisha Alderman and She-Bible), half of them local—including selections from her own line, Superficial Inc. 1951 W Division St at Damen Ave (773-342-0093, habitchicago.com). El: Blue to Division. Bus: 50 Damen, 70, Division. Tue–Sat 11am–7pm; Sun noon–5pm.
Hejfina
Shopping this wide, airy space is like walking the aisles of a pristine gallery of fantastically stylish men’s and women’s clothing, modern art and architecture books and housewares. Look for breathtakingly creative (albeit exceedingly pricey) designs by Opening Ceremony, Nice Collective and Comme des Garcons to whisk you from dinner at Rodan to an avant-garde photography opening. Sign up for the shop’s mailing list to stay posted about occasional events showcasing local artists. 1529 N Milwaukee Ave between Honore St and Damen Ave (773-772-0002, hejfina.com). El: Blue to Damen. Bus: 50, 56, 72.Tue–Sat 11am–7pm; Sun noon–6pm.
Beta Boutique
This sample-sale-turned-brick-and-mortar-boutique features sample and overstock apparel marked 40 to 90 percent off original retail prices. Just imagine: You can walk away with a bag full of goodies by designers like Rory Becca, Alice Roi and Ulla Johnson without a guilt complex. 2016 W Concord Pl between Damen and Milwaukee Aves (773-276-0905, betaboutique.com). El: Blue to Damen. Bus: 50, 56, 72. Thu, Fri 11am–5:30pm; Sat 11am–5pm; Sun noon–5pm.
Eskell
This charming shop is known for stocking tiny designer labels, many from New York’s hippest enclaves. The standout line in the boutique, though, is co-owners Kelly Whitesell and Elizabeth Del Castillo’s, which is also named Eskell and was featured at last year’s Fashion Focus. The duo has also recently started organizing designer sample sales. 1509 N Milwaukee Ave between Honore St and North Ave (773-486-0830). El: Blue to Damen. Bus: 50, 56, 72. Tue–Sat 11am–7pm; Sun 11am–5pm.
Robin Richman
Even if you don’t have the cash to drop (and you’ll need plenty of it, here), stop by this tactile store for inspiration alone. Sculptural, multilayered clothing hangs from the racks like objects of art among the French antique fixtures adorning the walls. 2108 N Damen Ave between Charleston St and Dickens Ave (773-278-6150, robinrichman.com). El: Blue to Damen. Bus: 50, 56, 72. Tue–Sat 11am–6pm; Sun noon–5pm.
Penelope’s
Joe Lauer and Jena Frey’s boutique carries cute, uniquely cut garments, shoes and accessories with a touch of mod (think Grandma meets the Beatles) for men and women. The shop is one of the few in the city to offer a large selection of French cult label APC. 1913 W Division St between Wolcott and Damen Aves (773-395-2351, shoppenelopes.com). El: Blue to Division. Bus: 9 Ashland, 70 Division. Mon–Sat 11am–7pm; Sun noon–6pm.
Kokorokoko
This off-the-beaten-path vintage shop stocks plenty of looks from the “Me Decade” and beyond, but ten percent of the merchandise is new items by local designers such as screenprinted T-shirts and scarves by Kiyomi Kimble. All resale items are under $100, including a large selection of cowboy boots. 1112 N Ashland Ave at Haddon Ave (773-252-6996). El: Blue to Division. Bus: 9 Ashland, 70 Division. Mon–Sat 11am–7pm; Sun noon–6pm.
Roslyn
Shoppers get an education on each collection at this boutique. The rustic space features racks of clothes separated by designer, each accompanied by a wall-mounted biography. So you’ll learn that Liz McClean’s floaty tunic dresses ($315) are hand-dyed in Brooklyn, and that Collection K’s soft alpaca sweater coats ($258) are a hit in their native Paris. 2035 N Damen Ave between McLean and Dickens Aves (773-489-1311, roslynboutique.com). El: Blue to Damen. Bus: 50, 56, 72. Tue–Sat 11am–7pm; Sun noon–5pm.
Una Mae’s Freak Boutique
The main floor here houses a hipster-chic selection of menswear and womenswear (skinny jeans, jumpers and adorable jackets) with a vintage flair, but wind your way up the spiral staircase to the second floor to find the real-deal moth collectors. Don’t miss the jewelry case, a treasure trove of cheap costume jewels like faux gold bangles and lockets. 1528 N Milwaukee Ave between Honore St and North Ave (773-276-7002). El: Blue to Damen. Bus: 50, 56, 72. Mon–Fri noon–8pm; Sat 11am–8pm; Sun noon–7pm.
Renegade Handmade
The ladies who launched the first Renegade Craft Fair a handful of years ago took the fair to the next level by opening this full-scale boutique. Look for fair favorites such as twee plush pastries, stationery goods and screenprinted tea towels. 1924 W Division St at Winchester St (773-227-2707). El: Blue to Divison. Bus: 50 Damen, 70 Division. Daily 11am–7pm.
chicago.timeout.com

04-09-2009
I am half-sick of shadows

In case you haven't heard...Hejfina is going out of business. Their last day is Sept. 27th...current season stock is reduced by 25-50% and prior seasons by 70-90%. They have quite a bit of MM6, Vena Cava, Isabel Marant, APC, and Acne.

04-09-2009
trendsetter

No way! I need to get there ASAP. Sad news, though.

06-09-2009
front row

^^Horrible! I need to make it there too. It's tragic how all these small designer boutiques are suffering right now.

14-09-2009
trendsetter

The selection at Hejfina was quite limited... as expected, but I didn't find anything really, sadly. There were a pair of Alexander Wang pants for $50, but they were much too long and bellbottomed for my taste. The first signage for the new Marc Jacobs store is up in the windows in the Elysian on Rush. I was kind of hoping it was that new wood + windowed (looks similar to Jake, actually) building across the street, but my friend told me that's rumored to be John Varvatos.

15-09-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geostud View Post
^^Horrible! I need to make it there too. It's tragic how all these small designer boutiques are suffering right now.
i heard one of the SAs say that the store is closing because the owner is having her second child and moving on. :] not so sad.

17-09-2009
front row

^^Marc Jacobs is opening up a boutique here (apart from Marc by Marc)??!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesypersound View Post
i heard one of the SAs say that the store is closing because the owner is having her second child and moving on. :] not so sad.
I read that afterwards as well!

20-09-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by june gloom View Post
The selection at Hejfina was quite limited... as expected, but I didn't find anything really, sadly. There were a pair of Alexander Wang pants for $50, but they were much too long and bellbottomed for my taste. The first signage for the new Marc Jacobs store is up in the windows in the Elysian on Rush. I was kind of hoping it was that new wood + windowed (looks similar to Jake, actually) building across the street, but my friend told me that's rumored to be John Varvatos.
the wooden building is actually going to be lulu lemon athletica...

trendsetter

Geostud -- yes, the main line!

& mlg08 - That's even more disappointing! Oh well, at least it's pretty...

20-09-2009
front row

I just have to say how excited for Zara I am and the new Barney's didn't seem to have the sale shoes like they did at the old one, maybe I just went in at the wrong time.

20-09-2009
Not Thinking About Time

^I cant wait for Zara either. I am looking for more vintage/thrift stores any ideas right now I like Land Of The Lost and Ragstock. f

Portfolio Last FM
20-09-2009
front row

Went to Hejfina earlier today to check out their going out of business sale. There was hardly anything left as june gloom said... couldn't find anything worth having. There were three pairs of APC jeans left, several gorgeous Acne coats, several Band of Outsider button downs and ties, but not much else. Really sad considering this was my first and only time to Hejfina.

21-09-2009
backstage pass

Wow, I have no idea Hejfina is going out of business... simply due to a lack of sales or what? They're an institution...

13-11-2009
front row

Zara is open on Michigan Avenue. I haven't been there yet but have seen loads of people with shopping bags.

17-11-2009
backstage pass

The Zara store on Michigan Ave is gorgeous. Much, much nicer than the ones I've been to in Europe. Whoever did their interior architecture and visual merchandising is a genius. It makes H&M look like Kmart.

The first week was wild. The racks were stripped bare. I didn't find a single size Small.

They're opening that other Zara in the Loop, by Nordstrom Rack and Loehmann's.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
chicago, shopping