How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-03-2006
V.I.P.

So do you just go up to them and they'll open the doors? Or will they not let you in?
(Yes. I'm that pathetic.)

17-03-2006
I am half-sick of shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilaughead
So do you just go up to them and they'll open the doors? Or will they not let you in?
(Yes. I'm that pathetic.)
It's not pathetic...but the doorman at Barney's is very non-confrontational. You walk up, he opens the door.

Some stores in London, like Chanel, I've always found the doorman to be a bit...pissy...but at Barneys...he's fine...plus, there's an entrance on Rush that doesn't have a doorman if you want to go in that way...

17-03-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderbellas
Barneys has a doorman.
They do? I never remember this. There may be a peson to greet you when u enter but I NEVER remeber anyone opening the doors for me or others...

17-03-2006
I am half-sick of shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJohnson
They do? I never remember this. There may be a peson to greet you when u enter but I NEVER remeber anyone opening the doors for me or others...
They do, but he's sporadic. Still, I'd say 7 out of 10 times I go to Barneys, he's there.

17-03-2006
front row

if you're looking for vintage or shoes try the "boystown" area...otherwise if you stay on michigan ave. just walk around, you're bound to run into some great stores...

also, if you like the vintage/trendy types of clothing try urban outfitters. there's one on rush street and one on clark street...

Last edited by caro; 17-03-2006 at 09:06 PM.
17-03-2006
V.I.P.

Yea i went pass that store...i didnt really like it. There is a Diesel on Rush street however

17-03-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebden
They do, but he's sporadic. Still, I'd say 7 out of 10 times I go to Barneys, he's there.
Thx for the tidbit, i never knew this

18-03-2006
PopWillEatItself

Hi! Just back from Chicago! Anyone who's visiting should try IKRAM... great, GREAT shop!

Thanks JJ for all the tips... I was a very savvy shopper when I was there!

18-03-2006
V.I.P.

HAah Yea I was waiting on u to come back and tell me what you thought! Did U buy anything in chicago? Give us a review of how u felt in the stores that u visited!

21-03-2006
backstage pass

Very dull query - I know but can anyone tell me where in Chicago is the best place to buy C&C California tees??? My husband's travelling there shortly and I'd love him to get me some while he's there otherwise I have to get them shipped over from the States to Paris and there's a 25-30% tax and shipping charges to be paid. TIA

21-03-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melt977
Hi! Just back from Chicago! Anyone who's visiting should try IKRAM... great, GREAT shop!

Thanks JJ for all the tips... I was a very savvy shopper when I was there!
Yea the cool thing is that I was just in chicago today and i ran into this woman wearing what looked like a Balenciaga jacket. I asked her about it lol it turned out to be H&M, but the dress she was wearing under it was Comme Des Garcons. It was really cool cuz she said that she was friends with the owner of Ikram Chicago. I love love! She was really cool! I told her about this site. i hope she becomes a member! What a fun day!

21-03-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grill
Very dull query - I know but can anyone tell me where in Chicago is the best place to buy C&C California tees??? My husband's travelling there shortly and I'd love him to get me some while he's there otherwise I have to get them shipped over from the States to Paris and there's a 25-30% tax and shipping charges to be paid. TIA
Hey this is a list of the places I found

MADISON AND FRIENDS
940 N. RUSH ST.
CHICAGO, IL 60611
United States of America
312-642-6403 0.65
SUGAR MAGNOLIA
34 E. OAK STREET
CHICAGO, IL 60611
United States of America
312-944-0885 0.65
JACKIE PERLMAN
630 NORTH STATE APT 2110
CHICAGO, IL 60610
United States of America
847-373-6249 1.10
SOFIE
1343 N. WELLS ST
CHICAGO, IL 60610
United States of America
312-255-1343 1.10
BREATHE..
1252 S. HALSTED ST.
CHICAGO, IL 60607
United States of America
773-410-7380 1.33
SHOPGIRL
1206 WEST WEBSTER AVE.
CHICAGO, IL 60614
United States of America
773-935-7467 3.01
KRISTA K
3458 N. SOUTHPORT AVE.
CHICAGO, IL 60657
United States of America
773-248-1967 4.11
APARTMENT #9
1804 N DAMEN
CHICAGO, IL 60647
United States of America
773-395-2999 4.37
BELLY DANCE MATERNITY
1647 N DAMEN AVE
CHICAGO, IL 60647
United States of America
773-862-1133 4.37
THE RED BALLOON CO.
2060 N DAMEN
CHICAGO, IL 60647
United States of America
773-489-9800 4.37
BREATHE. A MODERN CLOTHING
4450 S. VINVENNES
CHICAGO, IL 60653
United States of America
773-220-4899

24-03-2006
V.I.P.

Okay, I got back from downtown earlier, and I had a blast! Unfortunately, my mother decided that I would have to stay with her and my sister instead of just shopping with my brother only, so I got a lot of sighs of boredom out of them the entire time. I didn't even spend half my money because of there incessant nagging! Grr... Anyway, store review time!

Neiman Marcus: Why is it that stores never stock the small sizes? There was a nice Prada selection, but I couldn't justify paying a third to half my budget on one tee shirt. But eventually I found a pair of Gucci sunglasses that made me look like a rockstar and picked those up. And why doesn't NM take Visa? I find that so weird. I had to have my mom pay instead. She now hates me.

Gucci: The attendants were not very attentive. They were a lot more concerned with standing around the entrance talking amongst themselves than helping me in the shoe section, so I decided that it wasn't worth my precious time and left. The Guccissima leather does look a lot better in person than online, though.

Louis Vuitton: All of the SAs here were very smile-y, but they didn't seem all too eager to help me. The menswear section was pretty nice, and that silk/cotton blend tee shirt I wanted? It was something like $685! Needless to say, I didn't get it. VERY nice shoes, though.

Barneys New York: There was barely any staff on the men's floor, but the selection was pretty nice. I liked the Miu Miu, Balenciaga, and Dior Homme sections, but of course, nothing was in my size, or worse, in the ugliest of colors. (Yellow Dior jeans? Weird!)

Prada: I was expecting so much of here, but it sucked. The selection was mostly Linea Rossa, and there weren't many bags to choose from. And you said you could order from the lookbook thingy? The saleswoman just told me that the boutiques don't have everything that Prada makes, but was very eager to show me the prices. That was not a good experience.

Yves Saint Laurent: The woman who helped me was just so nice! She recommended getting "Men's Vogue" and was not intimidating at all when I wanted to know if I was pronouncing the label and designer correctly. Fun time here, but I was too scared to look at the prices of the accessories. Not too big of a selection here, but I got a booklet of the Spring/Summer collections for men and women. (I love freebies!)

Hermes: Fun! Fun! They had a birkin bag there! Lime green! Very exciting! My SA seemed to know everything about the company, from handbags to housewares, and he even got me a huge bag of freebie pamplets and samples. (It was the infamous orange shopping bag, and I felt so cool carrying it around!) After a bit of wandering around in ready-to-wear (1,200 for a polo!?) he helped me select a medium sized orange leather journal. It is way cool, and it was wrapped up so nicely!

Wow. That was a long post. Bedtime now.

25-03-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Okay, I got back from downtown earlier, and I had a blast! Unfortunately, my mother decided that I would have to stay with her and my sister instead of just shopping with my brother only, so I got a lot of sighs of boredom out of them the entire time. I didn't even spend half my money because of there incessant nagging! Grr... Anyway, store review time!
Yea Im glad that U had fun That Prada experience was kinda odd...i know they dont carry everything, which is odd considering its a 4 floor store, but there is a HUGE lookbook u can look at. Moving on, in Barney's there arent many ppl on the mens floor. I remember seeing like 2 SA's. In LV I like the things, but its really expensive. Ppl there are friendly. I went in Gucci last week and they are very cold there! They dont say bye and they do just stand around doing nothing. BTW did u say u bought stuff from Hermes? I havent been in there a really long time. Its an ok store lol Well im glad u had fun!

25-03-2006
PopWillEatItself

Quote:
And why doesn't NM take Visa? I
Really??? Thank God I didn't get in there... How are tourists / foreigners are supposed to shop? Or are they supposed to carry thouands of dollars in cash just for NM??? I can't imagine how furious I would be if I went in there, picked up something fabulous only to realise that I can't buy it because of the no-visa policy... hell!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
chicago, shopping