How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-04-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Apr 5th, 2004 - 1:59 pm
imo...soho died a loooong time ago...when the art galleries moved out and all the stores moved in...that was the end for me...one more store won't make much of a difference to me
definitely agree

btw, at first i was confused whether you meant soho UK or NY.. ive never been to the uk but i've heard of a soho there? its getting confusing

05-04-2004
offline.

Heh.. Yea, it's is a little weird having a Bloomie's downtown.. I dont quite understand it. I would have rather still had Canal Jeans there... but bloomies bought the building or something. My friend is going to be working there, that's when I first heard of the new store... But I agree that Soho died a while ago when all the art galleries left..

05-04-2004
Heated

I also think that the magic of SoHo passed on years ago. But I agree with faust that the coming of a Bloomies just sort of cements all of that in.

I don't blame spots like the Prada store (a work of art in itself) for the onslaught of this. The Prada store isn't a faceless generic outpost of goods. Places like Club Monaco, H&M, and the like have really ruined it for me. I mean, do we really need three Banana Republics in a radius of seven city blocks? It's just insane! SoHo died the minute that truly special and unique establishments were torn down to house the worst of low-end American fashion and shopping.

Don't get me wrong. Club Monaco and H&M are fine for what they are. But the way these companies have infiltrated SoHo is quite sickening. There are still areas (around Crosby and Howard, around Grand and Mercer, down by Thompson and Grand) that have somehow evaded all this. But I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it all becomes one huge strip mall. The Mall of America, right in your backyard!

06-04-2004
rising star

I agree on SoHo but I still enjoy a stroll when I'm around.... Crosby's awesome.
My next hotspot prediction.... Chelsea from 7th to 9th, 17th to 23rd.
I love that hood...

06-04-2004
Heated

Quote:
Originally posted by Pete@Apr 6th, 2004 - 1:08 am
17th to 23rd.
I love West West Chelsea all the way out on the West Side Highway. So beautiful. It just feels so untainted and pure. To think that some of those buildings will one day house GAPs and Origins stores makes me queasy. It truly is the last frontier in Manhattan.

06-04-2004
flaunt the imperfection..

i already posted this in the poetry thread, but thought it belonged here...

my ode to the city...

i strolled downtown
i roamed the streets
searching for
that familiar beat

the heart of the city
the pulse of the town
it seems the excitement
has somewhat died down

the artists are elsewhere
the masses moved in
it seems that my city
is less than it's been

i stop in a cafe
to seek some relief
and am somewhat surprised
by the strength of my grief

my city is changing
that's certainly clear
and it makes me ponder
'what's left for me here...'

but as i step back
and look all around
i remember "it's the best city
i've ever found"

i ny...

06-04-2004
backstage pass

wow.. great poem i really love it

06-04-2004

Quote:
Originally posted by rayncloudx@Apr 6th, 2004 - 2:59 am
wow.. great poem i really love it
thank you darling...a poem inspired by our very own faust...

06-04-2004
V.I.P.

It's a wonderful poem Softgrey, I did not know you wrote!!!

I have one to NYC at home somewhere, I fear I lost, but I'll dig for it tonight.

06-04-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by chickonspeed@Apr 5th, 2004 - 8:40 pm
I also think that the magic of SoHo passed on years ago. But I agree with faust that the coming of a Bloomies just sort of cements all of that in.

I don't blame spots like the Prada store (a work of art in itself) for the onslaught of this. The Prada store isn't a faceless generic outpost of goods. Places like Club Monaco, H&M, and the like have really ruined it for me. I mean, do we really need three Banana Republics in a radius of seven city blocks? It's just insane! SoHo died the minute that truly special and unique establishments were torn down to house the worst of low-end American fashion and shopping.

Don't get me wrong. Club Monaco and H&M are fine for what they are. But the way these companies have infiltrated SoHo is quite sickening. There are still areas (around Crosby and Howard, around Grand and Mercer, down by Thompson and Grand) that have somehow evaded all this. But I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it all becomes one huge strip mall. The Mall of America, right in your backyard!
Agreed, and to add, honestly I don't know what sickens me more, H&M or the Salvatore Ferragamo store I think the stuffy upper-east-sidish stores turn me off even more. the low-end ones keep to broadway, which I never go onto anyway...

And Pete, guess where the back entrance to bloomie's will be, you won't like the answer Don't they KNOW that our beloved A. is just two blocks up?!

06-04-2004
rising star

No... stay away from A.

06-04-2004

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Apr 6th, 2004 - 10:11 am

I have one to NYC at home somewhere, I fear I lost, but I'll dig for it tonight.
faust darling...i wouldn't exactly call that 'writing'...just a little piece of amusing fluff... inspired by your lament...

i've been singing a similar tune for years now...i guess i've just resigned myself to take advantage of the situation rather than moan about it...hence, the apt in nolita...

i know you can only imagine soho in the 80's...during the days of warhol and sprouse and basquiat and haring...sprouse's death really hits home here...he was truly the last of his kind...and personified that whole downtown scene in so many ways...

as long as they don't close cbgb's!!!...that's where i draw the line!!!

06-04-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey+Apr 6th, 2004 - 3:52 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softgrey @ Apr 6th, 2004 - 3:52 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-faust@Apr 6th, 2004 - 10:11 am

faust darling...i wouldn't exactly call that 'writing'...just a little piece of amusing fluff... inspired by your lament...

i've been singing a similar tune for years now...i guess i've just resigned myself to take advantage of the situation rather than moan about it...hence, the apt in nolita...

i know you can only imagine soho in the 80's...during the days of warhol and sprouse and basquiat and haring...sprouse's death really hits home here...he was truly the last of his kind...and personified that whole downtown scene in so many ways...

as long as they don't close cbgb's!!!...that's where i draw the line!!!

[/b][/quote]
imagine, "macy's mattress, coming soon, in the historical landmark, ex-home of CBGB's"

06-04-2004

over my body!!!
they've just named 2nd st joey ramone way ...or something like that..so i think it's safe...

perish the thought
---macy's mattress...could you come up with anything more horrific...even bloomingdale's is'nt that terrifying...

uuhhh...i shudder to think...i guess i'd have to head for tribeca if that happens...

06-04-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Apr 6th, 2004 - 4:13 pm

over my body!!!
they've just named 2nd st joey ramone way ...or something like that..so i think it's safe...

perish the thought
---macy's mattress...could you come up with anything more horrific...even bloomingdale's is'nt that terrifying...

uuhhh...i shudder to think...i guess i'd have to head for tribeca if that happens...
i find it quite amazing that Tribeca has been retaining its flair for years and years. it's like they have a magic spell on the neighborhood that diverts the tourist crowds and major retailers.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
death, soho