How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-06-2004
V.I.P.

vive la sephora!!

12-06-2004
flaunt the imperfection..

did anybody realize that canal jeans has re-opened in another location?...

i heard all about the closing of the store and the coming of bloomies...but i had no idea that they had relocated...they are still on bdwy....in a much smaller but similarly designed space...but now they are above houston...near tower records...

just an FYI...

13-06-2004
backstage pass

I've never been to bloomingdales or to NYC so I can't really comment on the type of clientele they are bringing to the area. However, I don't see this as completely negative. Typically the large department stores serve as an ancor for local businesses. People who go to bloomingdales more likely to check out some of the smaller shops along the way that they normally might not go to. I think anything to keep people shopping in inner cities is a good thing, or else they'll take their business to the suburbs.

13-06-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by banana@Jun 13th, 2004 - 12:43 am
I've never been to bloomingdales or to NYC so I can't really comment on the type of clientele they are bringing to the area. However, I don't see this as completely negative. Typically the large department stores serve as an ancor for local businesses. People who go to bloomingdales more likely to check out some of the smaller shops along the way that they normally might not go to. I think anything to keep people shopping in inner cities is a good thing, or else they'll take their business to the suburbs.
the people who shopped on Bway and in Soho/NoLiTa were there WAAAAAAY before bloomies came, so no, they are not attracting anyone. On contraire, they are capitalizing on the insane foot traffic in that part of Bway. It's just another stop, not an attraction...

13-06-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 12th, 2004 - 8:51 pm
did anybody realize that canal jeans has re-opened in another location?...

i heard all about the closing of the store and the coming of bloomies...but i had no idea that they had relocated...they are still on bdwy....in a much smaller but similarly designed space...but now they are above houston...near tower records...

just an FYI...
FYI, they opened a big store in Brooklyn, by Brooklyn College right after they closed this location.

13-06-2004
backstage pass

i think the only good thing about the bloomingdales in soho are the shoppers. those 'big brown bags' are soo ugly

13-06-2004

Quote:
Originally posted by faust+Jun 13th, 2004 - 6:05 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (faust @ Jun 13th, 2004 - 6:05 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-banana@Jun 13th, 2004 - 12:43 am
I've never been to bloomingdales or to NYC so I can't really comment on the type of clientele they are bringing to the area.* However, I don't see this as completely negative.* Typically the large department stores serve as an ancor for local businesses.* People who go to bloomingdales more likely to check out some of the smaller shops along the way that they normally might not go to.* I think anything to keep people shopping in inner cities is a good thing, or else they'll take their business to the suburbs.
the people who shopped on Bway and in Soho/NoLiTa were there WAAAAAAY before bloomies came, so no, they are not attracting anyone. On contraire, they are capitalizing on the insane foot traffic in that part of Bway. It's just another stop, not an attraction... [/b][/quote]
mmm... i disagree a bit there faust...the people i saw shopping in bloomies seemed like they had come specifically to see bloomies...i think that initially they will draw some new customers...

it mostly seemed like suburban mothers with their daughters...

this may die down after awhile...we'll see...

but raincloudx...i can't say i was particularly happy about the customers at bloomingdale's any more than the selection...

14-06-2004
backstage pass

I'm not sure about New York because it has a reputation for being a vibrant city, but typically municipalities have to do a bit of smoozing to get the big fish to settle downtown. Usually they offer tax incentives or waive certain by-laws in exchange as a way to revitalize a neighbourhood that might be in decline. Bloomingdales could easily make as much money in some suburb outside of Houston where the land is cheap and they can build whatever the hell they want. I'm sure that after 9/11 they have been trying to get more businesses to settle within the city core and to draw in more tourists. Of course they are benefitting from the existing shoppers, it would be stupid of them to put a store there otherwise, but they are typically welcomed by the local government to serve the exact purpose I described earlier. Don't worry, the artsy community will just shift to another location. This happens a lot with big older cities.

14-06-2004

Quote:
Originally posted by banana@Jun 14th, 2004 - 12:36 am
I'm not sure about New York because it has a reputation for being a vibrant city, but typically municipalities have to do a bit of smoozing to get the big fish to settle downtown. Usually they offer tax incentives or waive certain by-laws in exchange as a way to revitalize a neighbourhood that might be in decline. Bloomingdales could easily make as much money in some suburb outside of Houston where the land is cheap and they can build whatever the hell they want. I'm sure that after 9/11 they have been trying to get more businesses to settle within the city core and to draw in more tourists. Of course they are benefitting from the existing shoppers, it would be stupid of them to put a store there otherwise, but they are typically welcomed by the local government to serve the exact purpose I described earlier. Don't worry, the artsy community will just shift to another location. This happens a lot with big older cities.
banana...you are certainly correct...

however...it's not true in this case ... broadway between soho and nolita is the most heavily trafficked shopping district in NY right now...

If they were to open a branch in TRIBECA where the disaster took place on 9/11...they would get HUGE tax breaks, incentives, you name it...faust is right about this...i just think that they may bring even more people to an already crowded neighborhood...which is actually annoying for those of us who live here...

it would be fantastic if they opened in tribeca...i would applaud that... ...there's nothing over there and they could really use a boost...

18-06-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Jun 13th, 2004 - 10:14 pm
but raincloudx...i can't say i was particularly happy about the customers at bloomingdale's any more than the selection...
i meant the shopping bags

the one in soho has nice green ones.. better than the ugly brown bags.

19-06-2004

Quote:
Originally posted by rayncloudx+Jun 18th, 2004 - 6:58 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rayncloudx @ Jun 18th, 2004 - 6:58 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-softgrey@Jun 13th, 2004 - 10:14 pm
i meant the shopping bags

the one in soho has nice green ones.. better than the ugly brown bags. [/b][/quote]
omg...that's so funny!!! ...

22-06-2004
front row

Bloomies in SoHo?????? WOO HOO!!!!!!!

22-06-2004
V.I.P.

So SoHo is alive?

22-06-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by ahhGucci@Jun 22nd, 2004 - 3:05 pm
So SoHo is alive?
DEAD, deader than the people in Jamec Joyce's story...

22-06-2004
V.I.P.

So I am reading the obituaries. I take it you don't want it to rest in peace.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
death, soho