How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-02-2005
V.I.P.

Resurrecting the bitching thread . Now, do we REALLY need a 3rd Diesel store in SoHo? Really, do we?

Slightly OT, but this was funny (Chris will appreciate it).

http://www.nymetro.com/nymetro/news/...672/index.html

15-02-2005
no photos, no photos

interesting.....you know I've been thinking about the "it" neighborhood thing lately. There was a program on NPR about it recently regarding Portland (I think) "creating" a gay district similar to The Castro so they could revamp a neighborhood and make it, how did they say, "artsy". This same thing is happening in my neighborhood. Level the projects and move out the homeless. The galleries have been there for YEARS, only now is it safe to come downtown after dark for the free wine at the monthly openings. NYC has the BBQ crowd, I've got the old money and no taste scene.

Last edited by purechris; 15-02-2005 at 02:36 PM.
15-02-2005
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust
Resurrecting the bitching thread . Now, do we REALLY need a 3rd Diesel store in SoHo? Really, do we?

I stumbled in there the other day because I was shocked to see it when I walked out of Hogan, and it was total crap. Probably the worsed Diesel I have ever been in (not that the others are such gems), and the salespeople were Prada snotty.

backstage pass

This was destined to happen....meatpacking is in a sad state of affairs IMO...its so B&T now and I think it peaked too fast....very few people are coming there to shop nowadays....spicemarket, ono, filled with jersey folks.....all the showy new monied folks waving their bills around and spending recklessly at the bars there......

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust

15-02-2005
backstage pass

As far as too many stores in the same area..it may seem crazy but it works....every block in NYC can cater to a different market....for example....you have banana republic at 59th and Lex across from Bloomies, and then another store 5 blocks north on 65th and 3rd....the 59th store caters to the office worker crowd and is located right at the subway stop whereas the 65th st store caters to a more residential crowd on the Upper East Side...you will often see lots of young nannies shopping there with strollers....its interesting cause the 65th st store is much nicer..half the time many NYers (especially office workers/tourists) don't know where all the stores are and aren't gonna walk around into unchatered territory. This is how it works in Soho, where the Broadway shopper is often going to look for established chains and stick to the popular streets..that's why the Bloomies can carry Prada cosmetics because many Bloomies shoppers aren't going to shop at Prada or go in just for lip balm, but will do so with ease at a dept store.......there's room for everyone....I've heard the Soho Bloomies has done very well, but it is still my opinion, nearly a year later (and this comes from a faithful, unabashed Bloomies shopper) that it really isn't THAT much different from uptown.....they carry a few more trendier/hip designer but still have huge sections devoted to brands like Sevens, MJ, Theory, etc....they still have to play it safe......

15-02-2005
offline.

I was there on Sunday..beautiful day out. perfect for shopping... the store was dead except for a few people in the makeup section...

16-02-2005
fashion elite

The few times that I have been into the SoHo Bloomingdale's I was rather surprised. I haven't been into the uptown store in years because it is just so congested and is very out of the way for me on most days so I cant really comment on the differences, but the downtown one was kind of good. I seem to remember them having a bunch of CDG Shirt and some other very un-bloomingdale's type brands. I still dont think its worth it shop there unless you live/work in the area, but its nice to see its not total tourist bate.

flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJCouture
I seem to remember them having a bunch of CDG Shirt
i saw no such thing when i went there...quite the polar oopposite actually...
sparkly pale yellow chiffon skirts and such...

17-02-2005
backstage pass

You know, London's Soho is going the same way. Londoners haven't started calling it SoSo for nothing...

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
i saw no such thing when i went there...quite the polar oopposite actually...
sparkly pale yellow chiffon skirts and such...
Maybe it was just the men's then? I didn't even go near the women's department. Don't get me wrong, there was a bunch of mainstream crap also, but there was a smattering of very un-Bloomingdale's type stuff.

V.I.P.

more mall;

Mexx, the Amsterdam-based label owned by Liz Claiborne, will open a SoHo shop on Aug. 4, offering men's and women's fashions and accessories inspired by the European street, including studded leather hobo bags, nylon and canvas travel bags for men, and sterling silver jewelry. At 500 Broadway, (212) 343-7954.

21-07-2005
flaunt the imperfection

mexx is soooooo bad...

14-01-2006
trendsetter

i just want to clear my doubts.... soho is dying because people dont go there anymore or because stores suck and its all the same or both????? last time i was there (april 2005) i thought it was ok... i love it haha

31-01-2006
scenester

I find that although SoHo's "dead", as long as you stay off Broadway it isn't so bad. But maybe that's just me.

31-01-2006
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJCouture
The few times that I have been into the SoHo Bloomingdale's I was rather surprised. I haven't been into the uptown store in years because it is just so congested and is very out of the way for me on most days so I cant really comment on the differences, but the downtown one was kind of good. I seem to remember them having a bunch of CDG Shirt and some other very un-bloomingdale's type brands. I still dont think its worth it shop there unless you live/work in the area, but its nice to see its not total tourist bate.
i checked out the mens' floor (downstairs) and i agree....
it is the only thing worth visiting in that store...
a very unusual mix of brands down there..
viktor and rolf, junya, m jacobs, m kors...etc...

:p

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
death, soho