How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-03-2006
front row

soho is not dead... why is everyone still going there?

07-03-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashion_diva
soho is not dead... why is everyone still going there?

09-03-2006
V.I.P.

patricia field in soho closed this month. shes opening a new store in bowery.

16-03-2006
rui
front row

SOHO has become a suburban MALL!!!
filled with people dressed in dumpy clothes carrying as many shopping baggs as they can...GROSS...UGG BOOT CENTRAL!!!!!

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rui
SOHO has become a suburban MALL!!!
filled with people dressed in dumpy clothes carrying as many shopping baggs as they can...GROSS...UGG BOOT CENTRAL!!!!!
Fashion_diva loves that sh*t!

03-04-2006
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by faust
So, we were taking a stroll on a Saturday evening in Soho with my wife after a wonderful dinner when we came acros..... A GODDAMN FRIGGING "BLOOMINGDALES, COMING FALL 2004" . I think that this is the last mass consumption nail driven into the heart of Soho. This is exactly what draws the sheep in, and the likes of Comme des Garcons (Rei saw it coming and moved her SoHo store to Chelsea a few years ago) out. It used to be a sweet, relaxing, funky neighborhood to stroll through on a weekend, check out fashion avant garde at its best, and relax in some little known cafe. Now, it's overrun with hords of tourists and suburban consumers, sucking in LV, Coach, Movado, Tommy Hilfiger, Chanel, etc. like vacuum cleaners, fat asses in Juicy suits, all generic, all looking like the next. It's become a suffocating environment, full of pressure.

Ok, lamentation over.

I am rather late on this...but I agree. i don't live in NY but when I go there...I used to like going to Soho to get away from 5th Ave type of stuff...and to find different pieces, places, etc.

Now there is LV, Bloomies, etc etc they might as well stick a Barneys now.

Its like being up in midtown being down there now. Its really sad.

04-04-2006
trendsetter

ohh now i get it.... by the death of soho you mean the death of the stores that make it the type of shopping area it is... and now that there are very expensive shops there its not SOHO anymore????

04-04-2006
princely

Quote:
Fashion_diva loves that sh*t!
please.

04-04-2006
Fierce Flava

^ Yeah please...stop. That was uncalled for. Someone needs to grow up. I haven't said anything before, but I noticed how rude you are to members lately. What is your problem?

25-05-2006
rising star

Quote:
So, we were taking a stroll on a Saturday evening in Soho with my wife after a wonderful dinner when we came acros..... A GODDAMN FRIGGING "BLOOMINGDALES, COMING FALL 2004" . I think that this is the last mass consumption nail driven into the heart of Soho. This is exactly what draws the sheep in, and the likes of Comme des Garcons (Rei saw it coming and moved her SoHo store to Chelsea a few years ago) out. It used to be a sweet, relaxing, funky neighborhood to stroll through on a weekend, check out fashion avant garde at its best, and relax in some little known cafe. Now, it's overrun with hords of tourists and suburban consumers, sucking in LV, Coach, Movado, Tommy Hilfiger, Chanel, etc. like vacuum cleaners, fat asses in Juicy suits, all generic, all looking like the next. It's become a suffocating environment, full of pressure.

Ok, lamentation over.
give credit where credit's due. we've still got atelier, seven, a.p.c., marc jacobs if you're into that, cloak, opening ceremony, yohji, costume national and scads of other nice boutiques in the nolita area as well.

so come on, overlook the bloomies and the louis vuitton for a second and buy some issey miyake!

26-05-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartholomew
give credit where credit's due. we've still got atelier, seven, a.p.c., marc jacobs if you're into that, cloak, opening ceremony, yohji, costume national and scads of other nice boutiques in the nolita area as well.

so come on, overlook the bloomies and the louis vuitton for a second and buy some issey miyake!
Yea, but have you noticed that they are all on the outskirts? They can't afford the rent anymore. I am talking about a general "look-at-me-I'm-fabulous" mood that killed the area.

26-05-2006
rising star

Wow, I'm really late on this post, but I was in Soho for the first time over spring break about a month ago. The location is nice and there are a couple of cute, unique stores, but it was basically overran with tourists. I know there is a record store there that was open in the early 80s when my parents lived in NYC, one of the only places they visited in soho because they thought the area was mostly for "posers" haha. And I agree the Broadway part seems to be the worst of it.

windowshopping

that new bloomies is a waste of time because they dont carry any thing they lack style . Why Bother!

10-06-2006
windowshopping

Mexx was supposed to be competition for h&m but the clothing is not as good and they are way more expensive.

10-06-2006
rising star

Quote:
I am talking about a general "look-at-me-I'm-fabulous" mood that killed the area.
Yep, and you can pretty much generalise this to a lot of Manhattan. The real creative, non-commercial, places are slowly disapearing. Soho, the Meatpacking District (totally disgusting nowadays). Soon L.E.S. and so on and so on ...
As I read somewhere, it's filled with people who thinks they're living in a "Sex and the City" episode.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
death, soho