How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-04-2004
V.I.P.

So, we were taking a stroll on a Saturday evening in Soho with my wife after a wonderful dinner when we came acros..... A GODDAMN FRIGGING "BLOOMINGDALES, COMING FALL 2004" . I think that this is the last mass consumption nail driven into the heart of Soho. This is exactly what draws the sheep in, and the likes of Comme des Garcons (Rei saw it coming and moved her SoHo store to Chelsea a few years ago) out. It used to be a sweet, relaxing, funky neighborhood to stroll through on a weekend, check out fashion avant garde at its best, and relax in some little known cafe. Now, it's overrun with hords of tourists and suburban consumers, sucking in LV, Coach, Movado, Tommy Hilfiger, Chanel, etc. like vacuum cleaners, fat asses in Juicy suits, all generic, all looking like the next. It's become a suffocating environment, full of pressure.

Ok, lamentation over.

05-04-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Apr 5th, 2004 - 7:14 pm
fat asses in Juicy suits
this made me laugh so much coz its true!!
what a shame.
i think one BLOOMIes is enough and its really not a store to be downtown

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
05-04-2004
slightly dizzy

Well, aren't you a snob?

But yes, I suppose it's true that neighbourhoods change... And not always for the better.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by tott@Apr 5th, 2004 - 1:19 pm
Well, aren't you a snob?

But yes, I suppose it's true that neighbourhoods change... And not always for the better.
It's not snobbery, although it can come off as that - and if it does, so be it. Wouldn't you feel sad and a little angry if something you considered as your second home was uglified?

05-04-2004
V.I.P.

i dont think its snobbery
its like kings road in london that became everything of a typical high street whereas in the 60 it was famous for the punk era coolness...
its true, as time goes on things change and one must accept... but i find it just a shame.. the originality will become less and less in our cities

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
05-04-2004
rising star

it's hollywood who ****ed it up.

flaunt the imperfection..

imo...soho died a loooong time ago...when the art galleries moved out and all the stores moved in...that was the end for me...one more store won't make much of a difference to me

05-04-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by leyla m.@Apr 5th, 2004 - 1:56 pm
i dont think its snobbery
its like kings road in london that became everything of a typical high street whereas in the 60 it was famous for the punk era coolness...
its true, as time goes on things change and one must accept... but i find it just a shame.. the originality will become less and less in our cities
i don't think so either. criticism does not automatically equal snobbery. it's like saying that critisizing the bush administration makes you anti-american.

05-04-2004
slightly dizzy

Quote:
Originally posted by faust@Apr 5th, 2004 - 7:32 pm
It's not snobbery, although it can come off as that - and if it does, so be it. Wouldn't you feel sad and a little angry if something you considered as your second home was uglified?
Of course I wouldn't like it if my neighbourhood turned into something I don't like, but the way you describe the "masses" does smack a bit of elitism.

But, you know... I might've said something similar. I'm not trying to argue, although I did make a pointed question. Just wanted to make a point, sort of.

Truce?

no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by softgrey@Apr 5th, 2004 - 1:59 pm
imo...soho died a loooong time ago...when the art galleries moved out and all the stores moved in...that was the end for me...one more store won't make much of a difference to me
i so agree...i don't know what type of customer bloomingdales would attract that the vuitton and prada superstores wouldn't. SoHo used to be funky and gritty and real, not it's like a soundstage, but unlike many of the objectors (maybe because i never lived IN SoHo), i still appreciate SoHo for what it is, and i think it's kind of backwards for some residents of the neighborhood to object when their property values have quadrupled in many cases over the years. there will always be another neighborhood. always. it's the nature of any big city.

flaunt the imperfection..

hahaha-mikeijames makes a good point...my property value just keeps going up and up and up...

hard to complain about that...

i just stay off bdwy on weekends

05-04-2004
V.I.P.

Yes, Ill buy a very cheap property in a plce surrounded by art, and culture. A few years, after the Marks and Sparks move in, bingo, property fortune.

05-04-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by tott+Apr 5th, 2004 - 2:15 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tott @ Apr 5th, 2004 - 2:15 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-faust@Apr 5th, 2004 - 7:32 pm
Of course I wouldn't like it if my neighbourhood turned into something I don't like, but the way you describe the "masses" does smack a bit of elitism.

But, you know... I might've said something similar. I'm not trying to argue, although I did make a pointed question. Just wanted to make a point, sort of.

Truce? [/b][/quote]
of course! no hard feelings. unfortunately the masses are the masses. believe me, there is nothing in the world i would like more than not to have to describe the masses the way I do

05-04-2004
V.I.P.

Faust, this is a sure sign of an elitest. It takes one to know one, so be sure im on your side, snob

And things die constantly, thats the point of life. New things, look for the new things. Nostalgia is sure damn fun. Look ahead.

05-04-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by ahhGucci@Apr 5th, 2004 - 2:31 pm
Faust, this is a sure sign of an elitest. It takes one to know one, so be sure im on your side, snob

And things die constantly, thats the point of life. New things, look for the new things. Nostalgia is sure damn fun. Look ahead.
I do look ahead, but I look around too

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
death, soho