How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-06-2009
backstage pass

yeah, there are lots of whsmiths around. i think you may be better off with Borders though for vogue nippon? im not entirely sure but they do stock alot of different vogues!
hope you enjoy your visit vogue28

10-06-2009
V.I.P.

^Thank you! Is Borders Central? The vist is mainly with college, but we have 2 hours free and I don't want to be hunting a Borders down

scenester

I have a query to all those who know Edinburgh and its shopping. I have two days (this weekend) in which to sort out all of my clothes (I have very little with me.)

Does anyone know if there are any shops (other than Zara) which are cheap and I could pick up a few blouses, cardigans and skirts?

Also assuming there is a Zara? yes.

Also, magazines, where? I know where to hunt down US editions, but I really like French Vogue and I have no clue where to get it here; also if there is anywhere else that stocks the US editions if HB, InStyle and Vogue as the place I know is kind of out of the way.

fashion icon

Most WHSmiths sell US magazines such as the ones you're asking about

Do you have a price limit on clothes? Mid-price,high etc?

13-06-2009
V.I.P.

^Do you know where to get Vogue Nippon?
I go on Monday and I would just like to know, so I am not trailing around

I have looked for Borders in Edinburgh, and the only one I can find is '25-26 Kinnaird Pk' which is a retail park. Too bad I am only staying central

tfs star

Vogue 28- we have two Waterstones in the city central.
There is a newsagents in St James Centre, which is at the east end of Princes St.
But if you are going up the High St, there is a newsagents there that sells every magazine and newspaper you would ever want.

LucieRibbons - There is a Zara in the centre of Princes St, there is also a Next, H&M and a Topshop. Like i said to Vogue28, if you go up the High St, that is where you should be able to get the magazines that you want.

Hope that helps.

14-06-2009
scenester

I simply crashed Zara, thanks every one. As for magazines; I'm still struggling. I know there's a shopping centre somewhere... but I can't remember the name... that definatley has a WHSmiths with quite a good selection. Any ideas?

Swim Upstream

...sorry to rain on the parade here but the shops in Edinburgh are pretty pish....and Edinburgh, though pretty, is deeply uncool.....Glasgow is marginally better ...and Aberdeen is worse....

14-06-2009
let me show you my boat

As scout01 said, there is a newsagents west end of High St/The Royal Mile (aka tourist hot spot) called 'International Newsagents' which sells a good selection of fashion magazines, including Vogue Nippon. It's blue, almost diagonally opposite St. Giles' Cathedral and displays foreign newspapers by the doors.

There is a large-ish WHSmith at Waverely Railway Station with a large selection of UK based magazines. St James Centre has a small newsagents which stocks French Elle, Italian Grazia and some European newspapers.

Edinburgh isn't all that great in terms of larger chain stores; Zara, All Saints, Topshop, Harvey Nichols are the ones I'd recommend if you don't have tons of time to spare and those stores are not available where you live, Jenners and John Lewis aren't too bad either. George St. has a nice selection of mid to higher end stores like Space NK, French Connection, Cath Kidston, Paperchase, Pennhaligons, The White Company (my mother adores this store), Coast, Jo Malone, etc. There is also an AmEx store, Hard Rock Cafe and of course Starbucks. Tigerlily is a nice bar situated next to Browns Bar & Brasserie which is one of my favourite places to eat on George St (sticky toffee pudding is ).

There are a couple of stores in Edinburgh I really, really like; The Red Door Gallery on Victoria Street sells some nice arty/gift type things and they also stock Alex&Chloe jewellery. Victoria St. then turns into West Bow which also houses some cute stores; I always buy presents for my sister from Pinocchio which has beautiful, well made children's toys, Analogue stocks a good selection of arty/design books as well as fashion/art magazines, zines and printed t-shirts. The Mutts Nuts has quirky gift bits and cute stationary.

Oh and I can never leave Jim Garrahy's Fudge Kitchen on the east end of High St without buying something,

Last edited by glósóli; 14-06-2009 at 04:24 PM.
15-06-2009
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by helena View Post
...and Aberdeen is worse....
How can you not love the worlds smallest topshop!? The shops up here are pretty shocking it has to be said

17-06-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by helena View Post
...sorry to rain on the parade here but the shops in Edinburgh are pretty pish....and Edinburgh, though pretty, is deeply uncool.....Glasgow is marginally better ...and Aberdeen is worse....
I think you are being a tad harsh.... and where is it you are from so we can all have a pop at your counrty!!! Or are you just European!

13-07-2009
backstage pass

^Vogue... How was your trip???

19-07-2009
tfs star

Edinburgh shopping is pretty poor really! Glasgow has gotten so much better recently and I'd say if you're staying in edinburgh for some time, get the train to Glasgow, it'll be worth it!

backstage pass

i love the shops here in edinburgh

15-08-2009
scenester

Sorry but this city needs more places to buy umbrellas... seriously.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
edinburgh, shopping