How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-02-2008
backstage pass

If the trains weren't so evil at times, it could actually work. I'm sure that Downtown's full of people walking around and catching the train, but it'd be nice if it expanded (even though we really don't need any more construction).

Living in the suburbs sucks sometimes.

18-02-2008
front row

I agree with you about the heat, mon dieu is it HOT. I'm not a "sweaty" person, but I feel like I might aswell carry buckets with me! (Gross!!)
And the bus aswell. I rode only ONCE, and I cluthced onto my friend the entire ride - very nervous. From what I hear the train (& train station) is hell also. I'm also not a fan of public transportation though, lol.

I also hate that you can hardly walk ANYWHERE in Houston. I grew up (for the most part) in River Oaks and even in a family neighborhood they hardly have any type of side street that you can walk/bike/etc on. Around montrose you can, but you have to drive to get there, so it's sort of pointless, haha. And now, living in Manhattan, it drives me INSANE to have to drive everywhere - especially with traffic.

16-03-2008
front row

what's the deal with "More than you can Imagine?" They used to have the best priced consignment pieces, but now their prices are outrageous. They're selling this used prada bag there for 2600 dollars. for that price, i can buy a BRAND new chanel flap bag at the galleria. It's too bad. they also had a chanel dress there from two seasons ago going for 1500 dollars. I bought a chanel dress there last year for 150bucks! i want the old "more than you can imagine" back!

17-03-2008
scenester

I've been to "more than you can imagine" a few times, I agree it is starting to run the trend of the usual Houston consignment shops. Irrelevant pieces at outrageous prices. Twice New on West Gray is much worse though. All those hideous 80s "designer" career suits selling for a few hundred dollars. The women that run these places have a very skewed view of what is in fashion.

I totally agree with "Alber Elbaz's" comment, Buffalo Exchange is really great. I just bought a pair of Jil Sander boots there for 70 dollars !!!! It was an unbelievable find.

18-03-2008
fashion insider

i have to hit buffalo exchange soon. i haven't done the strip of thrift shops in a long *** time...i always just hit am ap and then empire for a meal.

i drive a SUV as well (you sort of have to with the freaking monsoons we have at times!) and the gas is KILLING ME! luckily, i'm in and out of the city so it only kills me about four months out of the year.

i guess i missed out on more than you can imagine! i heard great things, but i guess now it's same ol'.

does anyone know of any new places to shop?

if you haven't checked it out, kuhl-linscomb (on richmond and kirby...if you're facing whole foods, it's directly to your right on the next block) is a place you HAVE to hit up if you're into beauty products. they have tons of neat stuff like bumble/bumble, tocca candles, kusco-murphy products, and just a really well-edited beauty department. the bulk of the store (or stores, as it spans a few buildings) is furniture and home decor. they even have those fun murakami pillows!

backstage pass

I'm not sure if any Sugar land stores have been mentioned, but I know my friends like Kiss Kiss and Urban Rendezvous. Other than that, we just have First Colony Mall (which isn't very good at all...) I really like Buffalo Exchange! And of course I'm proud that we have an American Apparel :]

backstage pass

just go back into town, and man is it humid here

i've stopped shopping in Houston, i can't seem to find anything that i want.
you girls are really lucky, i usually have to fly out of the city to do some shopping. that or online, of course it always helps to now your size in different brands, not all are cut alike.

speaking of AA, is it me or has the quality been going down.
i stopped by a couple of AA in NYC and was generally put off by most of it.

the only saving grace was this very cute Spanish girl in the AA on Broadway, too bad she is too young for me. i think what did it for me was her accent, she spoke Spanish to another customer and i was absolutely smitten by her accent. Spaniards have the best Spanish accent, them, and Argentinians.

08-04-2008
fashion insider

the thing with AA quality is it isn't consistent. it isn't good or bad across the board, it's just a crapshoot, which as a consumer is crazy frustrating.

i think our AA is the best ever. i've been to several worldwide and the houston am ap has the nicest kids who actually bother to help you! they don't just stand around reading nylon or some other "indie" mag when it's clear clients need help.

fashion insider

finally made it out to the new outlets off 290.

nothing that great, but there is an estee lauder outlet that carries a lot of the LE MAC stuff.

a burberry is opening in may there, if anyone cares.

other than that there's a juicy, kate spade, tahari, bcbg, cole haan, coach, R&R....that's pretty much it.

oh, and there's a saflio group outlet, where most sunglasses are $100 and under. fendi, dior, marc jacobs (diffusion and collection) and gucci are all stocked there, and the styles aren't terribly old either.

backstage pass

my brother was telling me about those, he lives close to there, around highway 6 and 290. kind of far to me, but whatever. next time i visit him, i'll try to pass by. i could always use a cheap pair of designers shades.

22-04-2008
fashion insider

it's in the opposite direction of highway 6...going north, like you're heading to austin.

if you've got money to burn on sunglasses, it's definitely worth the trip because of the fantastic selection. i could have scooped up four pairs, but had to control myself.

backstage pass

yeah the outlets are a bit of a let down, nothing good. i went to the burberry the other day and not much there. there were a few pieces that were okay but those were all $1000+ and some basics like polos for $60+ in many colors and sizes. i havent been too saflio but i will def check it out (i live like 3 exits down). the solstice there is alright too though half of there selection is old and the other half is still in stores so the prices are regular. though they will haggle with you. i went w/ my friend to get a pair of gucci ones that were $430 and i got them to $300 and then i got 25% off of another pair later on

27-05-2008
trendsetter

^ I just got my underarmour from there. It still came out almost the same price.

fashion insider

did the burberry outlet have any burberry prorsum pieces...asking because you mentioned there were things over 1k.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesiren View Post
did the burberry outlet have any burberry prorsum pieces...asking because you mentioned there were things over 1k.
honestly i have no idea bc i dont keep up w/ high end designer clothing :/ sorry but it did look really nice and like it came off of a runway and really expensive! i can recall a couple of jackets and a vneck blouse with heavy detailing and metal sequins (?) on the sleeve. but they had a couple of things (probably 5-10 diff things in a couple of sizes) and all the expensive/nice stuff was in the back where no one looked. so to sum it all up -- im not completely sure but i think so! haha sorry not much help

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
houston, shopping