How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-06-2008
backstage pass

hey houston peeps, hot huh?
i tend to stay inside all day throughout summer, and only go out at night,
or usually just leave the country for cooler weather, but right now i'm taking care of my nieces, 2 and 5. and all they want to do is be outside.

we have on sunblock, bug repellent, summer clothing, and BIG HATS!!!

about the Prorsum, i've been a big fan of Christopher Bailey's runway show for a while now, so i was really expecting a lot when i visited the Burberry store in NYC, what a let down. I really wanted a Burberry trench, and was willing to step up to Prorsum for a slimmer look, but nothing they had was worth me spending 2K and the rest of the collection was o.k. to look at....

i ended up getting a HARE trench coat for $140, and it's exactly what i want it.
i think only NYC carries Prorsum, so i really doubt we would carry some of the pieces in our outlet store, must have been regular Burberry or Burberry London. of course i could be wrong, worth a checkout if you want to make the drive. DAMN GAS IS KILLING ME!!!

26-06-2008
front row

visiting a friend in montrose in a few weeks...are there any high end consignment stores in houston that might have cdg, yohji, issey, margiela, or westwood pieces? have been to buffalo exchange, didn't find anything, & the other stores on that strip seem to have mostly vintage/retro stuff as i recall.

16-07-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashion.fashoff View Post
visiting a friend in montrose in a few weeks...are there any high end consignment stores in houston that might have cdg, yohji, issey, margiela, or westwood pieces? have been to buffalo exchange, didn't find anything, & the other stores on that strip seem to have mostly vintage/retro stuff as i recall.
I'm not really sure on this, but my friend mentioned that Nono (spelling?) that's close to Buffalo Exchange, etc, has Vivienne Westwood pieces.

front row

thanks michelle,
i just got home, but i did find nonno & the other stores around there.

nonno is a japanese store that has a lot of gothic lolita stuff, and some cute menswear items probably "inspired by" cdg etc. for fairly reasonable prices (i did buy a tattered no-name tee shirt for $20). they do not carry any high-end brands (no vivienne westwood, etc). most things i looked at were <$40.

also, i was rather dismayed to find a FAKE margiela shirt in the mix! so i would be cautious of any big names there...

20-08-2008
front row

Shop online thats your best bet. I once asked around for APC and Nudie denim and the girls at store gave me the look. After that experience I started shopping online.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorien View Post
i gave up shopping in houston.
now i just stick to online or whenever i travel, i buy what I need.
for men, at least, houston is WAAYYYYY behind the times.
I agree w/ you 100%

scenester

Yay! I'm going to Houston in a couple of weeks for the first time in my life, and was googling for shopping guides and such - with no luck. Came on here afterwards, and now I'm wondering why I even bothered to google! You guys rock! I'm gonna write down all of your great tips =)

(ps, I'm a long-time lurker, this is my first post!)

08-10-2008
backstage pass

why,

why would you go to Houston. if my family wasn't there, i wouldn't have a reason to go back.

but yeah, good luck on your trip.
don't know, but from what i've heard is that Houston is still fecked up from the hurricane.

but yeah hopefully some of the good restaurants are back up and running.
that's something good Houston has, restaurants.
I swear i can't find decent mexican food here in Manhattan.

09-10-2008
scenester

Heh, actually I'm visiting family And I'm also attending a wedding!
I'm staying in Houston over Hallooween, and then I'm going to NYC a couple of days until I return to Sweden.

I was thinking I could do outlet-shopping and stuff like that in Houston, and other shopping in NYC. And maybe vintage in Houston as well? I've been to NYC once before and I'm guessing the vintage shops have higher prices in NYC compared to other cities... but maybe I'm wrong?

Yay, restaurants! I love trying out restaurants =)

16-10-2008
fashion insider

if you are there for awhile, and have access to a car, i suggest driving to san marcos for the outlets. i went there for the first time when i was home in the summer for a bit and it's pure <3! lanvin flats for $220, la perla for a total steal, and gobs of gucci bags at $500 and under. it was heaven! everything is ridiculously clean, the SAs are fantastic, and it's just as pleasant as shopping at the retail stores. you just take I-10 heading east, take a left in a town that starts with a L (there's a sign that says San Marcos, this way) and bam! you're there! it is SO WORTH the two hour drive!

in houston for thrifting, my favorite place is the value village on shepard. i've found loads of nice coats and chunky jewelry there in the past.

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorien View Post
why,

why would you go to Houston. if my family wasn't there, i wouldn't have a reason to go back.

but yeah hopefully some of the good restaurants are back up and running.
that's something good Houston has, restaurants.
That is so true!!! I used to live there! That is the only thing i miss.
I miss D'amicos (spelling?) an italian place
Ziggys cafe (the sweet potato fries)
Nikko Nikkos (the fries, the lemon potatoes, the pork chops!!!) this is one of the best restaurants ever!
The Breakfast Klub (the best heart attack inducing breakfast...sigh)

10-11-2008
tfs star

My hometown must be one of the "must-hate" cities to some people. I'll have you know that I am a proud Houstonian and proud Texan here on tFS!

The Houston Galleria and Rice Village are two hotbeds of style. Well, them and West University Place and River Oaks. I was in the Houston Galleria area (not the mall (my favorite mall, but good luck parking there!)) seeing all the many shops of very popular names like Sak's Fifth Avenue, dELIA's, Neiman Marcus, and places like that. My favorite non-Houston mall is Baybrook Mall in Webster, TX. There are some stores there like Charlotte Russe, Aldo's Accessories, Bebe, Forever 21, Abercrombie and Fitch, Hollister, and places like that. I really think the Galleria and Rice Village are two of the trendiest parts of town as far as the really fashionable types go. Earlier this year, Pearland Town Center was opened with a few more popular stores like Wet Seal.

So you can go around Houston or visit all cities in the Houston metro area to find some nice shops. Sure you'll find great places to shop as well as nice stores in America's fourth-largest city. And uh... thank you for hating my hometown!

backstage pass

Just because Houston doesn't have a 5th Ave. does not mean the shopping sucks. It just requires more effort and searching. Westheimer and Dunlavy's intersection has some good stores. The Heights has a bunch of great vintage stores including Retropolis that would take days to go through.

backstage pass

anyone going to le big sale on 3/31?

http://lebigsale.com/

25-03-2009
scenester

It's been a couple of months since my visit to Houston now, but I thought I'd tell you what I had the chance to see and shop! Better late than never.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to shop at any vintage shops. We stayed at The Houstonian and didn't have a car, so whenever we wanted to go somewhere we had to either take the Houstonian's shuttle car to the Galleria or ask our relatives to drive us somewhere - and we didn't want to bug them all the time .

The Galleria was nice, but I was a little disappointed that some of the shops were so small in size. Like Victoria's secret, for example. There was one beauty shop in the galleria where I went nuts and bought a whole bunch of haircare-stuff I also bought lots of stuff at Bath and Body Works. When we were there, in early november, they had crazy sales in Nordstroms and Saks and all of those larger stores, and I tried on many, many dresses that were 70% off and stuff.

When our relatives took us with them in the car, we went to discount shops, Marshalls, Loehmanns, etc. And they were big and well stocked. I think our last stop before going to the airport was Katy Mills, where we wished we had more time since it was overwhelming in size and variety.

And regarding the food in Houston - I must say the health club restaurant at the Houstonian was a really pleasant surprise! We had breakfast, and sometimes lunch, there every day and it was delicious and healthy. I really recommend that place! Here's the menu: http://www.houstonian.com/CenterCourtCafeMenu.aspx

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
houston, shopping