How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-07-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionistasista
Hey!

this thread is a great help for all the general retail info - but my parents may be moving to houston and ill be coming over from australia probably for about a month per year... whats the style like down there.... is there any good fashion scenes going on? ive kind of heard that is all a bit american apparel but im sure there is some cool ppl there! just wondering where to find them

any good clubs etc?

thanks would be a great help - ive kind of been googleing the place and all i can bring up is some dodgy tourist info....
Welcome to the city of burning hell! It's so hot right now. But most fashion is your American Eagle and your urban scene. But you will find some very well dressed people in the Galleria center.
Clubs? Well I only go to gay ones and I love South Beach

21-07-2006
backstage pass

hola fashionistasista,

when it is not freaking hot Houston can be ok. the one thing i like in particular is that Houston is a very multicultural city. i always seem to meet people with very different tastes from mine, which is cool with me, cause i love to learn new stuff.
just try to be careful and stay away from the ghetto sides, *cough* north side *cough*

-hey smiths, did you end up purchasing the mcqueen scar afterall.

21-07-2006
fashion insider

fashionnistasista- what are you into? what type of clothing/music/etc.?

south beach is okay, but the music is hella boring after an hour or so, unless it's madonna-rama or something. have you guys been to blur? on sundays, it's '80s night. SO FUN!

as far as shopping, we have all of the standard stuff. we just got an american apparel, but the quality of that store is pretty shitty, imho. if you're looking to drop a lot of money, we have a solid amount of boutiques, as well as the big names. if you're not, we have a good drag of resale shops (this is actually near american apparel, so you could do them in a day) which stock a semi-well edited range of vintage clothes. they usually all have A LOT of clothes, but sifting isn't quite as bad as doing it at thrift shop because the place doesn't smell, they're playing cool music, it's a nice area to people watch, etc.

what i would most suggest is that you guys eat out...A LOT! we have A LOT of good restaurants (ranging from every price) and that's one of the best parts of the city, imho.

if you're interested in a particular designer let us know, and we can tell you who stocks them.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorien
hola fashionistasista,

when it is not freaking hot Houston can be ok. the one thing i like in particular is that Houston is a very multicultural city. i always seem to meet people with very different tastes from mine, which is cool with me, cause i love to learn new stuff.
just try to be careful and stay away from the ghetto sides, *cough* north side *cough*

-hey smiths, did you end up purchasing the mcqueen scar afterall.
I was to late to order the black and white one. I'm still mad that I did not get it.

yeah North Side is really bad.

21-07-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesiren
fashionnistasista- what are you into? what type of clothing/music/etc.?

south beach is okay, but the music is hella boring after an hour or so, unless it's madonna-rama or something. have you guys been to blur? on sundays, it's '80s night. SO FUN!

as far as shopping, we have all of the standard stuff. we just got an american apparel, but the quality of that store is pretty shitty, imho. if you're looking to drop a lot of money, we have a solid amount of boutiques, as well as the big names. if you're not, we have a good drag of resale shops (this is actually near american apparel, so you could do them in a day) which stock a semi-well edited range of vintage clothes. they usually all have A LOT of clothes, but sifting isn't quite as bad as doing it at thrift shop because the place doesn't smell, they're playing cool music, it's a nice area to people watch, etc.

what i would most suggest is that you guys eat out...A LOT! we have A LOT of good restaurants (ranging from every price) and that's one of the best parts of the city, imho.

if you're interested in a particular designer let us know, and we can tell you who stocks them.
Were is the American Apperal!? I need to restock on so many basic.

21-07-2006
front row

Style in Houston Is Generally Fashion Foward an then the Couture Diamond Dripping Socialites. A trip to the Galleria is required lol You wont be disappointed an then there is Rice Village which has some good boutiques an Lot 8 from Project Runway only 10mins from Galleria. It will be hot except for the winter months 45 degrees. Also there is Uptown Park literally up the street from the Galleria right past the big Hermes Sign :-)

21-07-2006
front row

Clubs: or go to Chron.com click or bars/clubs
Houston has some nice clubs
Belvedere,Crome,Touch,Bond,Social,Hue,Escobar,Mila n an there is so many more

21-07-2006
fashion insider

i think it's only a matter of time before bond gets ghetto, but who knows. i have been several times and LOVED it. great mix of music, but i have a feeling with the lights on the decor would be super cheapy looking. belevedere is so boring to me. just a snorefest for wannabes who want to look like they matter. hue is nice.

i used to love grashopper like, four years ago. now it's AWful. the last time i went was during all star weekend and it was disgusting. it's too bad too because the layout of that club is amazing.

american apparel is in montrose where buffalo exchange, taxi taxi, leopard lounge, et al. are all.

north side is not that bad. lolz! the real estate in the surrounding homes is about to sky rocket thanks to all of the renovations planned for downtown for the next decade. it's going to be brilliant.

well, hopefully. my problem with this city is the MASS amounts of homeless people we have. they're everywhere.

trendsetter

^ O thanks for that tip. I'm planning on going shopping down over there and I'm planning on getting some basics from American Apparel.

Do you guys know any stores that carry Dior Homme in Houston?

22-07-2006
rising star

Has anyone been to the Buffalo Exchange? I heard that they have some good vintage stuff. Well, they are near a bunch of vintage shops.

22-07-2006
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-smiths

Do you guys know any stores that carry Dior Homme in Houston?
nope sorry, i've looked. but i guess it works out for me anyways.
cause i wouldn't want other people wearing what i wear.

you can always buy online....these are the ones i trust.

www.yoox.com
www.eluxury.com
www.luisaviaroma.com
www.diabro.jp

or you could always take a short trip to NYC.
while you're there look into stuff from Ann D....

22-07-2006
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool_fan
Has anyone been to the Buffalo Exchange? I heard that they have some good vintage stuff. Well, they are near a bunch of vintage shops.
that entire strip is hit or miss. i prefer to shop at actual thrift shops. i like the concept of the hunt and i don't care to shop with 923849234923489234 posers surrounding me. it's worth a trip if you've never been, but if you come out empty handed i won't be surprised. the style is a bit try-hard in those places, imho.

a small amount of dior homme used to be stocked at saks, but that was like, four years ago. i can't see it being a big seller here.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tool_fan
It's an alright place. I been finding some good deals there so I have been visiting more often now.

22-07-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorien
nope sorry, i've looked. but i guess it works out for me anyways.
cause i wouldn't want other people wearing what i wear.

you can always buy online....these are the ones i trust.

www.yoox.com
www.eluxury.com
www.luisaviaroma.com
www.diabro.jp

or you could always take a short trip to NYC.
while you're there look into stuff from Ann D....
But not that many guys would be wearing Dior and most wont spend that much on clothes.
I would buy online but I'm scared on how it will look at me, so I must try it on before buying it. I'm planning on going to New York next year to start looking at schools over there so I'm planning on doing some shopping.
I love Ann D. <3

29-07-2006
fashion insider

k, kids, so i checked out am ap finally on friday. awesome space, awesome sa's and awesome atmosphere. i've been to many am aps throughout north america and i reeeeeeeally love how big ours is! it was great!

i got two t-shirts from that grey track collection (deep v-necks), a SUPER CUTE highlighter pink long sleeved thermal/hot pant set for lounging around the house and a few other pairs of hot pants/panties.

do any of you guys wear their pique polos? i was with a friend who is small, but very cut and has a terrible time finding shirts that fit him well, and these fit him perfectly! the colors are grand too. he got a mint green, dark plum and an asphalt color. the material seems to work well with slacks, as well as jeans. very cool.

hope everyone is staying dry in the crazy *** weather!

<3

p.s. did hue and bond last weekend, and again last night and it's a borefest. any suggestions?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
houston, shopping