How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-05-2005
front row

Florence update
Hey. Trying to revive this thread because I am going to Florence for five days at the end of next week and want to hear if there are any particular shops I should hit.

I think I am going to book onto one of the outlet excursions by bus - sounds cheesy but I don't think i could handle driving around trying to find them. The tour goes to Prada (Space) , the Mall, then Dolce and Gabbana and Fendi.
Any tips on what to look for?

Also in Florence itself, are there any good vintage stores? I love designer stuff but I also love getting vintage bargains from other countries.

cheers!

05-05-2005
front row

Florence revisited
(I tried to post this in an old Italy thread but it didn't show up for me)

I am off to Florence for five days at the end of next week. Already booked on a cheesy but necessary bus tour of the outlets, Prada, Gucci, Fendi, etc.

What about recommendations for shopping in Florence itself? I love designer stuff but am on a budget so am looking for bargains. Anyone know any vintage stores in Florence too?

cheers!

ETA - found my other post - sorry

Last edited by fash ho'; 05-05-2005 at 05:19 AM.
14-06-2005
front row

Italy/Milan
Hello guys, I'm planning a trip to Italy (ok....shopping in Milan actually)

I have a few questions, and would love to get some tips as well

I don't speak Italian....at all, is English speaking ok over there?

I like shopping at high end designer boutiques, but I wonder if anyone can recommend some nice select shop/boutique over there?

Can someone also recommend nice hotels closer to the city & easy to find nice food?
I really appreciate the help, thanks!!
Can't wait to see the new Viktor & Rolf boutique !!!

fashion elite

Hi..
well I'm Italian and I live here in the center of Milan..
you can easly speak english almost in every shop, In Italy english is not really spoken by lots of people but here in Milan every shopassistant speak english ...
I can recommend to visit Brera for nice shops as the Navigli zone, (Corso di Porta ticinese is really cool place to shop) .You can find the victor & rolf boutique in Via Sant'Andrea it's close to Montenapoleone and Via della Spiga where you'll find Gucci YSL Vuitton Armani Prada Sergio Rossi D&G Bottega Veneta Valentino......
for the hotel it really depends how much you wanna spend, I can tell you to avoid hotel next to the "Stazione Centrale" (it's the railway station), I live close to P.za della repubblica and there're lots of hotels there , (Ibis hilton carlyle Jolly hotel touring sheraton diana majestic...)
food, you have to try LUINI in Via Santa redegonda (P.za del Duomo) it's the best place for pizza "piadina" and home made sandwiches.
Rosspomodoro and Anima & Cozze are trendy restaurant not too expensive they are in Brera (Corso Garibaldi and Largo La foppa) the nicest place to shop and eat is 10CORSO COMO i love that place it's really comfy and trendy..
You have to shop here:
High tech (Piazza 25 aprile)
ZAP (galleria passarella)
fiorucci (galleria passarella)
la rinascente (piazza del duomo)
Marisa (via s.andrea)
and so many more!!!
anyway if you need firther info PM me...

14-06-2005
front row

Thank you soooooo much chicca!!!
I'll let you know if I have more questions!!!

fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_ingenue
Thank you soooooo much chicca!!!
I'll let you know if I have more questions!!!
u r welome!!:p

16-06-2005
front row

Oh, how nice and convenient too discover this thread about Milan just as I was about to start one myself.

The reason is that I’m planning to take my next semester at Universitá Bocconi in Milan, where I’m planning to stay from August till December/January.

Therefore I really appreciate all the info you have provided, Chicca!

Not to hijack this thread and take it too far off-topic, but I will really appreciate it, if you (or someone else) have any advice on finding a place to live in the city. For example if there are certain “bad neighborhoods” I should try to avoid?

I will also be really grateful if you have any info about how much I should expect to pay for a room or a small apartment and perhaps even can give me some advice on where to look for housing?

You are of course more than welcome to PM me, if you have any information.

16-06-2005
sec
rising star

I am visiting Milan next month as well. Anyone here knows when the sale will begin and end?

16-06-2005
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec
I am visiting Milan next month as well. Anyone here knows when the sale will begin and end?
I`ll go next week :p

Last year Sale was in the last week of June & the first week of July. Last time I went the second week of Sale and all the beautieful Gucci (Sale) Shoes in my size were already gone! That`s why I go earlier this year.

I have no particular shopping recommendation - it`s all fabulous!

Just 3 essentials you must carry when shopping in Milan: Creditcard, Flip Flops (in your bag in case your feet kill you after walking for hours on High Heels) and an umbrella (showers come up fast & unexpected).

Does anyone have the Shop Addresses of Balenciaga, Marc Jacobs and Chloe? Where can I buy Galliano in Milan?

Where is the Helmut Lang Store on Via Della Spiga? (I actually walked by last year )

16-06-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroin_Chic
I`ll go next week :p

Last year Sale was in the last week of June & the first week of July. Last time I went the second week of Sale and all the beautieful Gucci (Sale) Shoes in my size were already gone! That`s why I go earlier this year.

I have no particular shopping recommendation - it`s all fabulous!

Just 3 essentials you must carry when shopping in Milan: Creditcard, Flip Flops (in your bag in case your feet kill you after walking for hours on High Heels) and an umbrella (showers come up fast & unexpected).

Does anyone have the Shop Addresses of Balenciaga, Marc Jacobs and Chloe? Where can I buy Galliano in Milan?

Where is the Helmut Lang Store on Via Della Spiga? (I actually walked by last year )
wow, yea I'm going for the sale too
sounds like I need to go there earlier too

I'd like to know Balenciaga, Chloe & Moschino too!

oh and btw....is it easy to travel from Milan to Rome?
any easy public transportation? bus? train?

thanks

slightly dizzy

Train from Rome to Milan takes about 4.5 hours if I remember correctly, and it's not too expensive either. http://www.trenitalia.it/en/index.html

Helmut Lang is pretty close to Corso Venezia; if your walking up Cso Venezia from San Babila you'll have via della Spiga on your left, then you'll find H.L. on the left side of della Spiga. It's not that hard to miss 'cause it's a very narrow store front.

As far as good/bad areas to live in, I'd say there aren't that many really bad areas in the central city. It's pretty horrible around the central station and Loreto (especially north of it) though. Expect to pay from around 500 €/month for a tiny, tiny apt in the city; it's cheaper in the suburbs but I think you'd prefer to live in the city... Housing in Milan isn't that cheap, it's an expensive city in general.

Last edited by tott; 17-06-2005 at 12:49 AM.
17-06-2005
front row

How far is Milan from Florence? I am leaving to Florence in 10 days and will be staying for 4 weeks. I would love to take a weekend trip to Milan.
Also, does anyone know of any good shops/ boutiques etc. in Florence?

22-06-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by tott
As far as good/bad areas to live in, I'd say there aren't that many really bad areas in the central city. It's pretty horrible around the central station and Loreto (especially north of it) though. Expect to pay from around 500 €/month for a tiny, tiny apt in the city; it's cheaper in the suburbs but I think you'd prefer to live in the city... Housing in Milan isn't that cheap, it's an expensive city in general.
Thank you, tott! Your advice is much appreciated as I’m a bit concerned about being tricked into something as my Italian is very limited at best.

You don’t happen to know about any good places to search for accommodation?

22-06-2005
fashion insider

to florence to milan are about 320km, i'm from milan but i were with school in florence and it was really really beautiful, also i hear that are a lot of botiques, roberto cavalli has all there, the atelier, the offices and botique! u know, italy is a good place for spend money

22-06-2005
slightly dizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by macchiom
You don’t happen to know about any good places to search for accommodation? [/font]
You could try http://www.easymilano.it/eng/about.htm

Magazine for expats in English, you can download it in PDF format. There are usually some apts and rooms for rent in there.

Once you're in Milan you can pick it up at some locations around the city.

Of course, you can very easily find something through an agency, but then you'd have to pay a hefty fee. It seems a bit unnecessary if you'll just spend a few months in Milan.

Last edited by tott; 22-06-2005 at 03:43 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
italy, shopping