How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-12-2005
V.I.P.

London - Primark opens
PRIMARK MOVES IN ON CENTRAL LONDON, TO OPEN FLAGSHIP IN FORMER ALLDERS OXFORD STREET SITE

UK discount apparel retailer Primark is to open a flagship store on London's Oxford Street, taking over the lease of the former Allders store site that the now-failed department store operator acquired from C&A.
It becomes Primark's first central London store and one of its largest in the country at 100,000sq ft.

The announcement came as Primark's parent company Associated British Foods said the retailer continued to perform strongly in the run-up to Christmas.

Work on the premises, including a modern eight-metre-high glass frontage, is expected to be complete by next September and Primark should open the store early in 2007.

(sent to me from a PR)

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco

14-12-2005
Meg
inspired contemplation

ah that allders has been empty for quite a while. Good to know something is moving in there.

14-12-2005
backstage pass

Last week in the British Press, it was reported that Primark had been awarded the number 1 spot in a survey of the least ethical retailers. I cannot remember the name of the ethical association that did the survey but I think Mark One was awarded second place. Ratings were given for employee rights as well as the sourcing of products. So if you are uncomfortable shopping at Gap - I'd avoid Primark as well. Sadly it seems cheap clothing comes at a hidden price...

14-12-2005
V.I.P.

Oh good....no longer do I have to trek to Kilburn to get a Primark fix.

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
14-12-2005
V.I.P.

wow it must be huge cos that alldres was massive.i'm not a fan of primark. i used to have a some stuff from there but now they've put up their prices and the quality of the clothes isn't worth the price.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie_bubble
Oh good....no longer do I have to trek to Kilburn to get a Primark fix.
same! i h8 kilburn

05-01-2006
windowshopping

Primark
It's amazing how this shop (in England) has gone from a joke where it was embarassing to buy your sport socks from there to a fashion bargain basement. I bought a jersey dress, lace bolero, tulip skirt, wrap around jumper, cardi, two bras, underwear set and pyjamas all for 41! I was worried that the low low prices meant total child exploitation but they just don't advertise thus saving mucho money!! It's amazing what word of mouth and a couple of appearances in Vogue can do! Anyone else found any fab bargains?

05-01-2006
windowshopping

I know its brillant. Primark is proberly the shop I buy clothes from most often. I havin't got that much money at the moment so i'm really glad of primark. I used to go there before it became fashionable as well. I preferred it when it was just me that knew about it. Because now i see people wearing the same clothes as me. Primark rules

05-01-2006
front row

Primark is great but im gutted because itsgetting more popular n everyones wearing the same stuff.Is Primark a northern store? My friends in London have never heard of it.

05-01-2006
windowshopping

i totally agree-people used to say to me "oh my god i love your top/bag/jacket, where's it from??" and now it's "that's from primark" (accusing look) the best one i've been to is hammersmith in London-2 stories!! (really great homewares as well!) but my local is kilburn, london which is always so busy it looks like a jumble sale (so obviously Primark is in London but never anywhere really central like oxford street which keeps it a little more secret I suppose, it's originally an irish store though!)

Last edited by selenessecret; 05-01-2006 at 07:07 AM.
05-01-2006
V.I.P.

i sometimes go there just to see what they got, and always end up buying stuff. it's good if you really need some practical stuff as well.....love it too!

05-01-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenessecret
i totally agree-people used to say to me "oh my god i love your top/bag/jacket, where's it from??" and now it's "that's from primark" (accusing look) the best one i've been to is hammersmith in London-2 stories!! (really great homewares as well!) but my local is kilburn, london which is always so busy it looks like a jumble sale (so obviously Primark is in London but never anywhere really central like oxford street which keeps it a little more secret I suppose, it's originally an irish store though!)
Not for long though - They've signed a lease for the old Allders Store opposite the big New Look in Oxford Street.

I don't like Primark. They're really unpopular with designers as they don't employ any. My friend is a TopShop designer and gets really irritated by the fact that Primark buyers go into their Oxford Circus branch, buy loads of stuff and then rip it off. That's one of the reasons they're so cheap - they're not paying for design or development, they are just copying. They also use cheap factories and don't pay them very much.

05-01-2006
V.I.P.

this has been merged with the previous topic and is now in "shop by city"

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
15-01-2006
scenester

I don't think I've ever seen a jacket in Primark with pockets.

15-01-2006
rising star

they so the pockets up. id had to unpick the pockets of a blazer i boutgh from there.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
london, opens, primark