How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-02-2006
scenester

thank you all so much for all the info i cant wait to get to London

22-02-2006
kabhi alvida

Quote:
Originally Posted by impossibleprincess
covent garden antique market (monday mornings) is amazing, I've picked up some great things there-mostly long gold chains, etc.Not the one in the main market, you have to go to the building next to Covent Garden wagamamas. if you miss it, most of the same stall holders are at spitalfields (nearest tube liverpool street) on thursday mornings.
I tried to post this before but it wouldn't go through, so i'll try again

-this isn't shopping related but the street opposite the British Museum (no.7 bus from oxford st) is so pretty. It's a mix of tacky touristy stores (gotta love 'em)antique bookstores and the obligatory starbucks (but i love that starbucks, because of the view) and if you walk down it towards gower st you run into the cutest traditional english restaurant-really cheap, and does all that yummy greasy cafe food like the whole fried egg sandwich english breakfast thing. Nearest tube: Tottenham Court Road/Goodge St.

windowshopping

Hey I am going to London around easter from 14 to 16 april, for a short shopping fest, and i was wondering if anybody knows if the shops will be open on Easter sunday and good friday around that time, i am especially interested about the shoreditch area because there are so much individual shops??I am also wondering what the best day is to go to spitalfields market, because the last time I have been there i defenitely went the wrong day, will spitalfields be open on Easter sunday?

12-03-2006
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by veroon
Hey I am going to London around easter from 14 to 16 april, for a short shopping fest, and i was wondering if anybody knows if the shops will be open on Easter sunday and good friday around that time, i am especially interested about the shoreditch area because there are so much individual shops??I am also wondering what the best day is to go to spitalfields market, because the last time I have been there i defenitely went the wrong day, will spitalfields be open on Easter sunday?
Spitalfields market should be open -- usually open on holidays. I can ask the management office next Sunday for you. Some very cute shops adjacent to the market are open every day...

13-03-2006
windowshopping

Thank you beaumonde!
It would be great if you could ask about it, but only if it's not too much trouble for you ofcourse! Do you think the shops around brick lane will be open on Easter sunday? Like absolute vintage, junky styling, beyond retro? Is it better to go to Spitalfields on saturday or sunday? I think think we are going only one day to that neighbourhood, because the lack of time, so we are trying to pick the best day to go, so we can visit both the shops around there and the market. Sorry about all these questions but we want to make a good shopping plan, so we can fit in as much as possible, any help would be much appreciated!

13-03-2006
front row

It's my neighbourhood, so no problem! Assuming the market's open on Sunday, I'd go then instead of a Saturday because you get a real feel for the market atmosphere and a lot more merchandise/food options. The shops on Brick Lane and inside the market are open and a lot less crowded on Saturdays. You should also walk over to Cheshire St (little road off of Brick Lane) and on Commercial St, Hurwendki (sp?) and All Saints.

17-03-2006
windowshopping

Thanks again beaumonde! I think after your advise we are going to the shops around there on friday or saturday and we are going to visit the market on sunday, hopefully it's open. And we are surely going to take a look at those streets that you've mentioned! Do you think portobello market is worth a visit?

17-03-2006
V.I.P.

^I think Portobello is definitely worth a look...try to get there early Saturday morning to avoid the crowds. There are lots of a cute unique designer stalls and Portobello Green, the indoor centre has some great boutiques namely Preen! There's also the 5 vintage shoe stall which I love - always has a great selection.

If you are going on Easter Sunday, I really wouldn't recommend going to the shops in Brick Lane....I doubt they will be open. On any other weekend, I would definitley go on a Sunday but Easter weekend is a bit iffy.

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
17-03-2006
front row

Veroon.....quite a few shops arent open on Easter Sunday, its the only Sunday in the year they aren't allowed to open so you would probably be better to visit the main stores, Selfridges etc (if you were going to) on the Fri/Sat

'I like my money where I can see it - hanging in my closet'
Carrie Bradshaw
19-03-2006
windowshopping

Thanks a lot susie_bubble and missbradshaw!

It's good to know that a lot of shops like Selfridges will be closed on sunday, because me and my friend were actually planning on going to some of those on sunday..Do you think any of the shops around oxford street will be open on Easter sunday?

Also great to know about portobello market, that shoe stall sounds too good to be true, i am always on the hunt for cheap vintage shoes! We are defenitely going to make an early visit, we are staying somewhere around bayswater so think we are pretty close.

We were also afraid that the shops around brick lane were going to be closed that sunday so i think we are going to those on friday or saturday, we don't want to take any risk! But we hope to go to spitalfield's market on sunday, if it's open. Last year when we were there Absolute Vintage was closed , because it was around New Year's and it was also the wrong day for the market, that was such a huge disapointment that I almost ended up in tears. We are trying to avoid this for our next visit!

19-03-2006
V.I.P.

I don't think Spitalfields market will be open that Sunday. Are you only going for the weekend? Because the fashion market is open on Thursday.

19-03-2006
front row

I can't recall any of the shops (except for absolute vintage which is highly tempermental) being closed last easter. My good friend lives in between spitalfields and brick lane so I'll ask for you, she also works in public beware (on the trumans brewery road) so I'll ask about that.

19-03-2006
front row

The market will be open on Easter Sunday, but there may not be as many stalls.

19-03-2006
windowshopping

Many thanks to susie_bubble, 5AvenueMarceau and beaumonde.

We are going to London on Friday the 14th, so we are only able to go to the market on Friday or the weekend.

Would you recommend going to the Victoria&Albert Museum, or The Fashion and Textile museum, or both? If anybody has some recommendations about other nice exhibits or galleries that would be great!

19-03-2006
V.I.P.

^Definitley go to the V&A - they have the Anna Piaggi fashinonology exhibition going on !

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
london, shopping