How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-05-2006
front row

What sale are you referring to, or generally when sales start? I wanna know as well.

09-05-2006
front row

wanna know the exact date for all the shops!
i know it starts in june but not sure when

V.I.P.

It really depends on the store. Selfridges starts in early July I think and the other dept stores around that time. Designer stores can start much earlier.... it changes from year to year too so I would just keep my eyes peeled.

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
10-05-2006
front row

Last year, it was the last week of June (with the department stores closed for a couple days preceding the sales). I'd just call up and ask!

19-05-2006
scenester

Twice a year the evening standard newspaper does a pull out a day or two before the mailn sales start with the starting dates for dept stores and individual shops/designers. Keep your eyes peeled for this - it's quite useful as it also gives some ideas of the discounts to be had. It is also a good idea to ring and ask around June time - the day before the sale starts quite a lot of dept stores will write the sales price discreetly in pencil on the label so it can be priced for the first day. Therefore you can get a good idea of what is on sale, for how much and plan accordingly!! I have seen this both at Liberty and Selfridges.

19-05-2006
one two three

Thank god for this thread...I'm going to London for all of July, and am of course already making a list of stores to go to Sure sign of a shopaholic.

25-05-2006
scenester

It may be a little late for you vintage princess but here are my recommendations for vintage shopping in London.

Steinberg and Tolkein - Kings Road. A little pricey I think but definitely worth a look, it is sometimes like a museum in some ways. I have seen pieces by Madame Gres, Pucci and other really historic designers whilst browsing. Their selection of bags is good and not too wildly overpriced plus the assisstants really know their stuff. I go to look but rarely buy! Last time I was there they had rack of Ossie Clarke that was interesting to see.

Blackout 2 on Endell street, Covent Garden ( there is a blackout 1 somewhere in Victoria too) - prices are better than S&T and they have great jewellery and bags too.

A trip to Spitalfields, east london - there are two branches of Rokit on Brick Lane, Absolute Vintage on Hanbury street plus a huge vintage warehouse on Cheshire Street ( aagh - mind has gone blank, cannot remember the name.) On sundays there is the full on Spitalfiels market which also has vintage stalls ( go early, it gets crowded) and on Thurs lunchtime/afternoon there is a small vintage market in the covered market building ( you might even catch sight of Pete Doherty - and wonder what La Moss ever saw in him!!)

The best market for vintage is undoubhtedley Portobello - even a confirmed east londoner like me goes there. It is more relaxed on Friday, there are less street stalls but all the shops are open - there is Dolly Diamond and a few others on Pembridge Road just around the corner fron Notting Hill Tube, its the road that joins to Portobello. At the Ladbroke Grove end of P. Road is the antique clothing company which is good, plus One of a Kind inbetween. If you go on a Saturday there are some great street stalls inc. a couple kind of opposite the Admiral Vernon Market that are great vintage handbags stalls. Just get there early on a Sat - it gets unbearably crowded esp. in the summer!!

Lastly I would recommend the six weekly vintage clothing and textile fairs that are held a Hammersmith Town hall if you happen to be in town on a weekend they are on. You pay around 5 to get in but it is a treasure trove of dealers selling clothes, bags, jewellery, accessories from every era - victorian, twenties, you name it. Hammersmith is slightly out of the centre but it is on the Hammersmith and City tube line so not difficult to get too. The next one is June2/3/4 I think. If you google it you can find the website (can't remember off hand! my memory is clearly fading fast!!)

25-05-2006
?

katy: those are great tips! thank you

25-05-2006
windowshopping

first-time travel to London
I'll travel London and Paris this summer. It is my first time travel in London and Paris. Could anyone recommend me places for shopping... boutiques, department stores, gallery, vintage stores, flea markets, res
Thank you

25-05-2006
V.I.P.

Well i will also be going to Paris and London (not for the first time though) but i am willing to shop a lot this time.I only want vintage shops or so...so yeah thanks in advance!

25-05-2006
windowshopping

Also..could anyone recommend me places for buying fabric?

26-05-2006
rising star

If in Paris on a Saturday afternoon, be sure to hit the Etienne Marcel Metro Station Area for great people watching and fun shopping.

27-05-2006
Storm & Sommer

Try having a look at the subforum Shop by City (under Shop till you drop) it should list a lot of boutiques, department stores, vintage stores, flea markets.

As for restaurants try looking at the Your Favorite Restaurant in your City thread : http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...ur-city-6.html ... there are a lot of Londoners who have added their favorite restaurants

As for Paris.. it's difficult to eat badly in France imo..

I hope you have a great time !

27-05-2006
Adorable illusion

I remember starting this thread ages ago, but thank you Katy!!

27-05-2006
fashion icon

If your into Top Shop then checking out the one in Oxford Street in London is a must! And Selfridges is such a gorgeous department store.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
london, shopping