How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-08-2011
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by c'estlamode View Post
Does anyone have any good tips for where to shop for affordable dresses suitable for a wedding? Just moved to London a month ago and am only familiar with the mainstream areas like Oxford Circus & Knightsbridge...
c'estlamode, there are quite a few places in London. If anything, you are spoilt for choice!

I highly recommend Sloane Square, also checkout Westfields London, which is not far from Marble Arch.

Best,

12-08-2011
rising star

^ sloane square = not affordable dresses, sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c'estlamode View Post
Does anyone have any good tips for where to shop for affordable dresses suitable for a wedding? Just moved to London a month ago and am only familiar with the mainstream areas like Oxford Circus & Knightsbridge...
knightsbridge/oxford street is good if you want all your regular shops in one area. literally everything is there. house of fraser had some really nice formal dresses last time i went. if you want something a little bit more quirky or vintage even, then head to the spitalfields area near liverpool street station

V.I.P.

I'm going to London for the Boxing Day Sales this year. My plan was to fly to London on Christmas Day so we could be there when the stores open on the 26th
I've read some old website entries from a few years back where it said there was no public transport on the 25th at all, though? Is it still like that? I'd hate to pay for a taxi from Heathrow to the city.

25-08-2011
V.I.P.

Remember taxis are tripple fair christmas day also depending on were your wanting to go sale mostly start the week before christmas or christmas eve gone are days were they all start 26th just heads up
Posted via Mobile Device

25-08-2011
V.I.P.

I know, I was there the week before Christmas last year but a lot of the stuff I wanted wasn't on sale yet. And this Summer I arrived on the 2nd day of the sales and Selfridges was practically emptied already, lol. So I thought it would be fun to be there on the 26th but it seems like it would be super complicated. Might as well just go in January for the 2nd markdowns then

25-08-2011
V.I.P.

Good luck gettin it sorted you never know you might sort something plus flight on christmas day tend to be cheaper as well also think there might be one or two public transport options youll have to look around i live in liverpool and theres non what so ever on 25th but dont know bout london... Sorry back on topic
Posted via Mobile Device

25-08-2011
V.I.P.

^Thanks I guess I'll just e-mail Heathrow Connect to ask if their services operate on Christmas Day.

25-08-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psylocke View Post
I'm going to London for the Boxing Day Sales this year. My plan was to fly to London on Christmas Day so we could be there when the stores open on the 26th
I've read some old website entries from a few years back where it said there was no public transport on the 25th at all, though? Is it still like that? I'd hate to pay for a taxi from Heathrow to the city.
Normally London black cabs charge a small extra fee like 5GBP on Chrstmas day, but minicabs will charge whatever they can get which is usually loads as the black cabs will likely be on holiday too

Tubes & most overland transport are usually shut BUT Heathrow Express normally runs a bus to Paddington which is a better place to start your trip to the hotel from. I don't fancy your chances of picking up a cab from the taxi rank there though . You might also like to fly into City airport which is much better for access than Heathrow.

Might be easier to arrive in London on 27th or later when the underground's back in action.

As snowqueen says, some sales may be long gone by the 26th...some don't start until 28th...

Or just go now, because as the economy keeps going down, the number of sales keeps going up

25-08-2011
V.I.P.

^LOL, true. Plus I'm super lucky with the Swiss Franc being so strong atm, the exchange rates are heavenly for a crazy shopaholic like me

I'll actually have a hotel that is right at Paddington station anyway so that would be just fine if I can get there from Heathrow.

I usually fly to LCY but the cheapest flight to there on Christmas Day is £1.500 compared to £50 to Heathrow

Thank you for your reply Didn't think it would be so confusing. I know travel agencies offer special London Boxing Day Sales trips so I didn't expect it to be so difficult to get around in London during festive season. And it looks like there isn't much sightseeing or anything else one could do on Dec 25th either

12-10-2011
windowshopping

i'll be visiting London soon could you recommend me any good shops that are not so mainstream ? like a bit underground with independent designers etc?
*hope you understand what i mean*
Thank you in advance !

06-11-2011
front row

Camden Town markets are good for vintage and independent designers shopping. Also Carnaby Street near Regent Street. And then Old Spitafields Market and Brick Lane Market near Liverpool Street tube stations are great, mainly for accessories though.

windowshopping

thank you very much for the tips!

06-11-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psylocke View Post
^LOL, true. Plus I'm super lucky with the Swiss Franc being so strong atm, the exchange rates are heavenly for a crazy shopaholic like me

I'll actually have a hotel that is right at Paddington station anyway so that would be just fine if I can get there from Heathrow.

I usually fly to LCY but the cheapest flight to there on Christmas Day is £1.500 compared to £50 to Heathrow

Thank you for your reply Didn't think it would be so confusing. I know travel agencies offer special London Boxing Day Sales trips so I didn't expect it to be so difficult to get around in London during festive season. And it looks like there isn't much sightseeing or anything else one could do on Dec 25th either
Yep - im from just outside london and i wanted to do something fun with the fam in london on xmas day last year - but there is NOTHING. I mean you can walk along the thames but u dont want to do that for 8 hours. 99% of restaurants are closed....no real attractions are open. Most shops are shut. Xmas day is actually not a great day to be in london -- ive since discovered...

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelicaso View Post
i'll be visiting London soon could you recommend me any good shops that are not so mainstream ? like a bit underground with independent designers etc?
*hope you understand what i mean*
Thank you in advance !
there are lots near spitalfield's market and around the brick lane area

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fashionturnip View Post
Yep - im from just outside london and i wanted to do something fun with the fam in london on xmas day last year - but there is NOTHING. I mean you can walk along the thames but u dont want to do that for 8 hours. 99% of restaurants are closed....no real attractions are open. Most shops are shut. Xmas day is actually not a great day to be in london -- ive since discovered...
Haha, that sucks. Especially if it's really cold you don't want to be oustide all day anway I actually found out that this year everything is closed on the 26th as well?! I'm planning my trip for Dec 27th-30th now, I think

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
london, shopping