How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

09-01-2006
windowshopping

Thank you susie_bubble!!
Do you maybe know until when the sales are running in London? I will probably go the first weekend of februari , but im afraid the sales will be over by that time?

09-01-2006
V.I.P.

^I'm afraid most sales end in the last week of January. However, the big department stores usually have the last dregs of sale stock into February. Poor retail performance will probably force stores to extend sale period as well. But I wouldn't get my hopes up too high!

Nonetheless, there's still plenty of fab shopping to be done. And there are also bargains to be found all year round so you won't be too hard done by!

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
09-01-2006
Meg
inspired contemplation

yes the bluebird store looked nice in the little dailycandy photo but half the time i can't be arsed to lug myself over to South Ken. Dare not risk it while i have no cash to spend on clothes. Thanks for the tip on Berwick St. though am not a tradesperson.....might have to ask sean about this as well...

09-01-2006
V.I.P.

^Yeah, it's a bit of a trek for me as well. I haven't been yet....been meaning to though.
Stuck on shopping in the East End atm which suits me fine coz the Spitalfields area has really developed into a real shopping hub of late.

About the fabrics, do you need a huge quantity? Coz there's this fabric store in Hollaway near Seven Sisters that's super dooper cheap. Just remembered coz I bought some tweed there once.
Fantasy Fayre on Camden Road is pretty good too.

Liberty and John Lewis is a tad too pricey I reckon.

09-01-2006
Meg
inspired contemplation

haven't ever had a proper look around Liberty's fabric section but john lewis just makes me think of making grad dresses I want some light cottons/muslin and then some more sort of structured material to take to my seamstress back in Canada. Fabrics where I'm from is very limited. I don't need a huge quantity....just a couple metres of each kind really.

09-01-2006
Adorable illusion

Brixton has some fabric shops there too.

09-01-2006
trendsetter

i like the cloth house on brewick street but its expensive, i recomend brixton for fabric even though its a bit out of the way

18-01-2006
rising star

London - Your Top 5
heading to london, thought I'd start a concise post to help others and myself out...thanks to those who reply ;-)

top 5: to shops

top 5: to eat

top 5: to see

19-01-2006
mmmmmm...fashion....

top 5: to shops
1.Alfies Antique Market (overpriced but sometimes worth it..)
2.Matches (great service)
3.Paxton and Whitefield (love cheese!)
4.Browns (obviously)
5.Cork Street Galleries( well i aspire to shop for art here)

top 5: to eat
1.Drones in Knightsbridge
2.Savoy Grill ( although the one in the Mandarin Oriental is getting better)
3.Borough Market ( cliche..but nice)
4.Club Gascon in EC1
5.Terra- great and cheap in Bloomsbury

top 5: to see
1.Opera Covent Garden
2.ICA- film, gallery and a great little bar
3.London Eye
4.Wallace Collection (lots of neoclassical french nonsense)
5.Walking- unlike paris- london actually has character..

21-01-2006
fashion insider

Quick Question: Are there any fabulous skin/make-up products that you can get in England but not in the U.S.?

I'm going over in March and I want to stock up on rare products.....

V.I.P.

Hmmm......I dunno.....you can get MOST things in the US now, coz the internet. There might be some things that are cheaper?

Toni & Guy hair products maybe.

If you go to the big Boots store (our main drugstore) on Piccadily or Oxford Street, you'll find lots of their own branded skincare and makeup lines.
You'll also find Ruby & Millie make up, FCUK make up which is kinda mid-range and def. unique to the UK.

If you go to the Lush store on Carnaby street, you'll find some interesting bath/skin stuff there coz it's all handmade out of natural inggredients. There's also the B never to busy to be beautiful cosmetics store next to Lush (same company) and they make cosmetics in kitsch packaging.
http://www.lush.co.uk/system/index.php

There are of course are cheap Duane Reade type cosmetic lines like Rimmel, Collection 2000 and 17 which you def. cannot buy over in the states but it's more cheap and cheerful than actual quality.

22-01-2006
fashion insider

Awesome! Thanks Susie_Bubble!

rising star

any good sales going on for menswear the last weekend in January?

and are all stores closed on sundays?

can anyone recommend any hidden shops/boutiques, ones that are off the main road and carry menswear? kinda like atelier in NY (hopefully without the price...hehe)...just want to make sure I don't miss anything....

Last edited by unmetro; 23-01-2006 at 05:42 PM.
23-01-2006
rising star

thanks for the reply travis...i'll have a look...hehe

23-01-2006
V.I.P.

top 5 to shop (in terms of fashion one-stop drops)
1) Dover Street Market - a one-off shopping experience - must see if you love CdG, Undercover, Boudicca
2) Start (Rivington Street) - the alternative department store and a great source of denim
3) Spitalfields Market - great for sourcing London based unique designers and also a great bite to eat too
4) Kingly Court - just the best collection of boutiques - vintage, unique designers, streetwear. Best shop: Twinkled - a retro furniture/clothing store (they sell vintage 70's plastic egg-cups! )
5) Liberty - just the most calming/soothing department store in London (I never feel harassed and flustered when I'm in here unlike other London department stores)

top 5 to eat
1) Maze - Yes, it's Gordon Ramsey but gosh, the food iss just so beautiful and I like variety in my food!
2) Mon Plasir - No frills, cheap French fod
3) Three Brothers (Finchley) - Just the best fish and chips EVER!
4) Fatoush - lovely Lebanese food - literally piles of barbequed meat and dips galore!
5) Yauatcha - Pricy dim sum but a lovely retreat for tea and cakes (my saviour after shopping in Soho and Oxford Street)

top 5 to see
1) Design Museum - a fabulous space and there are always interesting exhibtions
2) Walking alongside the Thames from Westminster to St. Pauls (weather permitting of course) - lots of beautifully lighted architecture and wonderfully quiet.
3) A film at the Electric Cinema - just the most decadent interior with the most comfortable seating. Providing the film is good of course.
4) London Eye - I agree with Travis, on a clear day or when the sun is setting, the view is simply breathtaking.
5) A play in the Regents Park outdoor theatre - In the summer, there's always a good season of Shakespeare plus you can roam around the park too!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
london, shopping