How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-04-2004
Adorable illusion

London shopping
Hey anyone here from London have good knowledge of where to find vintage stuff in London?? I want to go and get some stuff there but i dont know where to look!

12-04-2004
rising star

I like Alfies the best

Alfies the main website is down this weekend, so I've just linked to another site with the address.

Also Portobello Market on Friday or Saturday, I'd say Friday is best, a smaller market but more vintage and geared towards the fashion trade (its when the designers and buyers go to do research). The bit you need to go to is has a white 'tented' roof (near the flyover motorway, The Westway) nearest tube is Ladbroke Grove. To find the best bit of the market, come out of the tube, cross the road, turn left, then turn right following the footpath underneath the flyover, you will soon see the market and also a really cool arcade called the Portobello arcade, there are good shops in there that are worth a look. Don't forget to go to the Crazy Clothes Connection on Lancaster Road (right out of the tube station, then right again).

Steinberg and Tolkein and Virginia are good but very pricey.

I sometimes look in Alfies and go to Portobello about once a month, but to be honest I get most of my stuff in Charity Shops in the suburbs of North London, I look about twice a week. (Weekdays are best)

12-04-2004
front row

Just the topic I wanted.. I'm going to London in May.. but I will stock up on beauty brands I can't find here.. Kihl's and Shu Umeura (I always forgett how to spell it)

12-04-2004
front row

Vintage Princess - Is that Ayumi Hamasaki? I just love her music

12-04-2004
scenester

Thank you guys so much for posting and answering this topic! I'm gonna go to London in May, too.

12-04-2004
flaunt the imperfection

thanks pinkmonkey...i've been trying to figure out which day is best for portobello...i was disappointed last time i was there...but i'm sure it's because i went the wrong day...great tips

12-04-2004
Adorable illusion

Quote:
Originally posted by beiby@Apr 12th, 2004 - 7:13 am
Vintage Princess - Is that Ayumi Hamasaki? I just love her music
Yes it is! I love the Queen of J-pop!

Thaanks to pinkmonkey..i cant wait to go there now

14-04-2004
rising star

Edited to add, while you are in Church Street visiting Alfies Antiques, don't forget to go to

Joel and Sons if you are into nice fabric
and The Gallery of Antique Costume and Textile on the corner of Church street
- vintage clothes, shoes and bags are in the basement.

If I think of more I'll add to the list

edited to add:

the Alfies website is working again!

15-04-2004
backstage pass

ROKIT (2 shops: one next to Camden Market, one in Covent Garden)

15-04-2004
yes

and also on brick lane

i have a list of the best vintage stores somewhere.....i'll find it and get back to u

08-06-2004
kabhi alvida

Quote:
Originally posted by beiby@Apr 12th, 2004 - 1:12 pm
Just the topic I wanted.. I'm going to London in May.. but I will stock up on beauty brands I can't find here.. Kihl's and Shu Umeura (I always forgett how to spell it)
Beiby..I may be too late and u may have already visited but for Kiehl's try South Molton St-they have their main London store here,once you get to Covent Garden ask anyone who you think seems to know they're way around and they'll know, and for Shu Uemera, it's in Covent Garden! Some stores on Marylebone Road also stock Kiehl's.

tfs star

Quote:
Originally posted by Acid@Apr 15th, 2004 - 9:56 am
and also on brick lane

i have a list of the best vintage stores somewhere.....i'll find it and get back to u
Can you please get back to us, Acid?

07-07-2004
V.I.P.

I'm travelling to London by the end of August! when I came here, I hoped that there's a thread about shopping in London, thanks guys for the tips! I appreciate every single advice because that's the main reason I go there, I got looooots of money to spend!

Anna

rising star

Quote:
Originally posted by impossibleprincess+Jun 8th, 2004 - 7:20 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (impossibleprincess @ Jun 8th, 2004 - 7:20 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-beiby@Apr 12th, 2004 - 1:12 pm
Beiby..I may be too late and u may have already visited but for Kiehl's try South Molton St-they have their main London store here,once you get to Covent Garden ask anyone who you think seems to know they're way around and they'll know, and for Shu Uemera, it's in Covent Garden! Some stores on Marylebone Road also stock Kiehl's. [/b][/quote]
If you're looking for beauty products, don't forget to go to Boots The Chemist - lots of brands you can't get anywhere else.

The best one in Central London is probably the one in Piccadilly Circus -most of the Central London ones are really small. Theres a bigger one in Liverpool street Station if you're over that way.

In fact if you go to Spitalfields Market and Brick Lane on Sunday (the best time to go for vintage and young designers), you could go via that station , go to Boots then walk to Spitalfields from there

29-09-2004
scenester

Hey! im goin to london probably in october or november and i am just wondering if you people know any good places to get an extremely good bargain and excellent value for money...like hidden warehouse of designers clothes or something! lol! any information wil be much appreciated! Thanx!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
london, shopping