How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-09-2005
windowshopping

London shopping bargains
In short, I've arrived in London for a term abroad and my luggage has been lost by the airline -- I've got nothing to wear but the clothes in my carry-on (not worth mentioning) and must must MUST go shopping before uni begins.

Sadly, the dollar-to-pound conversion and my student status makes a wild, uninhibited shopping spree a bit out of the question. Keeping that in mind, does anyone have any suggestions on where to obtain reasonably priced but fashionable clothes? I need basics as well as trendy-ish pieces, as I really have lost it all.

I know the airline is supposed to reimburse me, but I'm sure they won't give me all I need/demand/justifiably should be reimbursed for. Le sigh! ANY and ALL help would be greatly appreciated!!

25-09-2005
Midnight blooms.........

From what I've read in the other threads Topshop is probably a good place to start.

25-09-2005
V.I.P.

^Nah..Topshop is quite pricey these days but worth trying. Nabiha...I'm not sure how much money you do have...but if you need to replace everything, I would recommend Uniqlo for basic t's and sweaters, H&M for more fashionable stuff that's super cheap, Primark for super super cheap stuff...you have to dig around for something decent, but the effort is worth it. TK Maxx is great for last season's Diesel, French Connection, Levi's, Lee and really cheap underwear. Again, a lot of digging around but persevere! And if you're into vintage, Beyond Retro in the East End is brilliant for unearthing bargains.

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
25-09-2005
trendsetter

PRIMARK!!!

25-09-2005
front row

cambden market maybe..?

25-09-2005
trendsetter

Camden can be really expensive

25-09-2005
windowshopping

So my dear mama, taking pity on her contemplating-nudity daughter, contributed significantly (read: gave me almost a blank check) to restock my wardrobe -- THANK GOODNESS!! I still, of course, want to maximize the clothes I can get, so bargains are still greatly appreciated -- but thankfully, not as urgent!

I still think it would be great to continue a thread with great bargains in London

25-09-2005
front row

Yah, I'm looking forward to tips on this thread too
Glad to hear you'll have clothes on your back though! your mom sounds sweet

26-09-2005
backstage pass

Petticoat Lane Market on Sunday mornings. Really cheap stuff and you can find there Top Shop and French Connection clothing with the labels ripped off (but you can still see them!).

26-09-2005
windowshopping

Dumb question -- how do I get to Petticoat Lane Market? X) I'm directionally challenged.

26-09-2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie_bubble
^Nah..Topshop is quite pricey these days but worth trying. Nabiha...I'm not sure how much money you do have...but if you need to replace everything, I would recommend Uniqlo for basic t's and sweaters, H&M for more fashionable stuff that's super cheap, Primark for super super cheap stuff...you have to dig around for something decent, but the effort is worth it. TK Maxx is great for last season's Diesel, French Connection, Levi's, Lee and really cheap underwear. Again, a lot of digging around but persevere! And if you're into vintage, Beyond Retro in the East End is brilliant for unearthing bargains.
Beyond Retro's amazing

V.I.P.

Get off at Liverpool Street Station. Then make sure you get out of the station through the Bishopsgate side. Once you're on Bishopsgate, you should see loadsa ppl heading towards Petticoat Lane. You can't miss it. There are signs as well.

26-09-2005
kabhi alvida

absolutely any charity shop for accesories. H&M on Bond st and oxford circus are super cheap. Our high-street, in general, is (mostly) reasonable and has good catwalk rip offs.(I've been to America loads and I don't think you're high street is as good) I wouldn't normally suggest it, but go to Oxford street.

What uni are you at?

yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalista
Beyond Retro's amazing
r u serious? its like a fancy dress warehouse IMO
i never find anything there i like except basketball jersey's

26-09-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid
r u serious? its like a fancy dress warehouse IMO
i never find anything there i like except basketball jersey's
I have to really rummage to find something good...but it's the cheapest vintage store I've found in London so far. It's a poor students paradise!
:p

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
bargains, london, shopping