How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

30-11-2010
front row

any tips on white elephant/church sales/bazaars with donated items (costume jewelry, antiques, vintage clothes, etc.) here in the city? i used to go to these all the time, but haven't been to any since i moved here and i miss them!

what newspapers or magazines have good calendars that list such types of events?

18-01-2011
backstage pass

i am planning to visit the US later on this year for the first time (hitting up New York and LA mainly) and was wondering if there is any time of year that New York have crazy sales...kinda want to stock up on some cheap desginer goods!!!
is there like mid-year sales or is it best at the end of the year?
thanks!!!

18-01-2011
front row

New Yorkers: try and help your fellow fashionista and provide us with some info! I see a lot of questions but little to no answers. I'm visiting Feb.23-27; recommendations, puh-lease

19-01-2011
tfs star

restaurants? shopping? nightlife?

19-01-2011
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoegal87 View Post
restaurants? shopping? nightlife?
All of the above. We'll be staying in SoHo. We want cheap (good) eats, hidden shopping gems (I'm sure we'll find Barneys), and the best gay clubs/bars from Wednesday to Sunday nights.

19-01-2011
front row

Shopping:

Court
178 Mulberry St

Oak
28 Bond St

Convent
178 Stanton St

Eating:
Pommes Frites (cheap and omg so tasty)
123 2nd Ave

I hope you have fun on your trip!

19-01-2011
front row

Thank you so much for the suggestions! Others are welcome as well

20-01-2011
tfs star

eat: westville on w10th st, the spotted pig, grano trattoria ec...i could go on forever with every west village place! for a quick lunch amy's bread and dean and deluca sandwiches and soup are also good and the cupcakes are amazing
for a great coffee and cappuccino go to joe's....there are so many locations in the city, i love the one in the west village of course!
shopping: Ina in soho, (there's a men and women store right next to each other), housing thrift store (something like that, it has many locations all over NY, try to google it but last time i checked the w10th one they had alexander wang jacket for 100 bucks)
also check sample sale websites for the dates you are going
obviously bendel, bergdorf, etc..... and soho-nolita vintage stores, just wander around the area
I'm not sure about gay bars and clubs but hell's kitchen is supposed to be the best gay area and also don't forget to visit the stonewall inn, it's where the gay movement began in the sixties
and julius is another gay bar that i know of, on west 10th and waverly place....
have fun!!

20-01-2011
backstage pass

^ shoegal, do you know any good sample sites?

21-01-2011
tfs star

I subscribed to some newsletter but I don't remember which ones, i'll check when I get new ones.
This is a good website http://thevoguecity.com/new-york-city-sample-sales/
but IMHO the best one is Racked http://ny.racked.com/ and pulsd is also worth checking out!

23-01-2011
V.I.P.

I might be going to NYC feb 23rd... do you think there'll be any fall/winter sale stock left? or will the sales be well and truly done by then?

23-01-2011
V.I.P.

its going to be the worst selection since fall sale has begun since november. 30% on nov, 50 on dec, and 70 on jan is how it generally is. spring merchandise are literally coming in at the same time and the only advantage is that whatever is left is 70% off.

23-01-2011
V.I.P.

ah, i thought so

this will probably sound silly, but living in a warm climate, i don't own any real winter clothing (except for one or two wool scarfs... ).... being in NY in late Feb, will I still be able to find any suitable jacket or coat for the weather to survive while i'm there? even something cheap? or is it better to look online now?

will it still be snowing that late in Feb?

also, does everyone in NY mostly wear boots in winter when walking around? and do women carry a pair of extra shoes to change into (heels, ballet flats, whatever) once they're at their destination?

obviously i have a lot to work out/research... i only really decided about going to NY yesterday

Last edited by *Bianca*; 23-01-2011 at 01:15 PM.

24-01-2011
V.I.P.

well New York weather does get pretty bad. By bad, I mean -10 degrees celsius and very bad as in -30 degree celsius.

Personally I can't stand it and therefore I wear things for warmth not for style. I'm assuming you're going to be the same. Trust me, you might look good in a peacoat but that goes out the window after 5 minutes and you'll be looking for a parka.

So this is what you want: a down jacket. down means its filled with feathers. and the outer shell is usually made of nylon so its not unflattering. Its bulky and heavy sometimes but thats good cuz itll keep you warm.

ssense

another alternative is a bubble jacket. They're also filled with feathers but unlike the parka its not as flattering but that could be a matter of taste. it is cheaper but the product reflects on that.

visualswagger

so where to buy? club monaco has fantastic winter jackets. theyre on sale right now so go to make sure they have your size. gap is a cheaper alternative but they only have bubble jackets. just make sure when you look at a coat check what its made of.

if it doesnt specify "filling" then thats because it doesnt have one so it wont keep you warm. eg: a peacoat for instant has an shell:wool and lining:cotton. my jacket: shell:nylon (waterproof btw), lining:nylon, filling: duck down

you're in a tricky situation because i dont want to tell you to invest on a pricey coat(canada goose/moncler) but a quality jacket is really important if you want it to perform. get one on sale and one final advice. make sure its 3/4 length! the more it covers you the better.

Last edited by emailme.; 24-01-2011 at 11:24 AM.

24-01-2011
backstage pass

meh, down jackets aren't that necessary here... you do learn here how to stay fashionable in terrible weather

sure, it's very cold, but you do not spend a lot of time outdoors and i generally just bundle up in layers of wool/cashmere/silk blends. today it is around -15C windchill probably much colder than that.... i am wearing wool tights with wool thigh-high socks over them with jeans and knee-high boots, and then for shirts i have: a silk cami, a silk blouse, a long sleeve thermal tshirt, a cashmere-wool blend sweater, and then my wool knee-length coat with thick mittens, a thick warm scarf, fur earmuffs and a hat...it's definitely possible to stay warm without sacrificing style here. layers really are key because it will be super hot inside everywhere but chilly outside.

it will not be snowing as much in february but there will still be snow & ice on the ground for sure. a cute pair of snow-friendly boots is pretty key, i have some knee-high wedge black lace-up boots that i can't live without here. your nice shoes will get ruined immediately by the snow/slush/salt stains... if you need to look fancy, take a cab. i do wear snow boots sometimes and leave a pair of black pumps in my desk at work for bad days.

if i were you i would look online now, as the selection here by the end of feburary will be all spring stock, for the most part... you should be fine with a long, warm, lined wool coat as long as you pack every sweater you own and layer up like crazy hat and gloves also very important!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
city, shopping, york