How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

24-01-2011
backstage pass

also re: NYC sample sales -- racked is great, and refinery29 and dailycandy also usually have good info.

27-01-2011
tfs star

I agree with lafinesiecle plus as soon as you step in the subway you're gonna sweat, same goes for stores, offices, houses....
and yes refinery29 and racked are the best for sample sale tips

27-01-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafindesiecle View Post
meh, down jackets aren't that necessary here... you do learn here how to stay fashionable in terrible weather

sure, it's very cold, but you do not spend a lot of time outdoors and i generally just bundle up in layers of wool/cashmere/silk blends. today it is around -15C windchill probably much colder than that.... i am wearing wool tights with wool thigh-high socks over them with jeans and knee-high boots, and then for shirts i have: a silk cami, a silk blouse, a long sleeve thermal tshirt, a cashmere-wool blend sweater, and then my wool knee-length coat with thick mittens, a thick warm scarf, fur earmuffs and a hat...it's definitely possible to stay warm without sacrificing style here. layers really are key because it will be super hot inside everywhere but chilly outside.

it will not be snowing as much in february but there will still be snow & ice on the ground for sure. a cute pair of snow-friendly boots is pretty key, i have some knee-high wedge black lace-up boots that i can't live without here. your nice shoes will get ruined immediately by the snow/slush/salt stains... if you need to look fancy, take a cab. i do wear snow boots sometimes and leave a pair of black pumps in my desk at work for bad days.

if i were you i would look online now, as the selection here by the end of feburary will be all spring stock, for the most part... you should be fine with a long, warm, lined wool coat as long as you pack every sweater you own and layer up like crazy hat and gloves also very important!
i guess its a matter of balance. im very very practical. ill wear pants and a shirt underneath my jacket. put on some boots and im good to go.

layering is fun and in a fashion capital is a good way to show your style. I just cant be bothered to be uncomfortable with the weather with the short time I'm there.

28-01-2011
V.I.P.

Thanks so much everyone for your advice!

I'm going to do all the touristy things, so I think I'll be spending quite a bit of time outdoors (walking to places, looking at stuff etc). I'm thinking of getting two jackets - a down jacket for super cold and when I don't wanna layer up too much (just saw a few on ralph lauren's site resonably priced under the 'lauren' label), and then a normal wool jacket. It's just a matter of finding ones that fits me right. I'm quite petite, so jackets/coats are usually massive on me.

So what are snow-friendly boots exactly? Do they have to be those fat padded ones? Or just rainboots/wellies?

Can they be normal leather boots with a wedge or small chunky heel?

I was really hoping to get some Frye boots, but I'm worried they will get ruined now (I had no idea about salt stains and all that... I assumed a leather protector would be all I'd need ).

I think I'll be staying in Midtown (not sure if West, Central or East yet). Hotels are so expensive Not sure if I should go to a crappy, cheaper place, and use the $$ saved to shop, or stay at a less-crappy (but still crappy for the price paying) more expensive place and use those $$ to be more comfortable.

Last edited by *Bianca*; 28-01-2011 at 12:37 PM.

28-01-2011
V.I.P.

i dont wear any good leather shoes if there is snow or on the ground. i just stick to wellingtons or shoes i dont care about. the salt is really awful for shoes. you can bring leather shoes as long as you bring a special vinegar solution for cleaning them.

i should post a pic here of my leather prada boots as a warning here. they got all warped and whitened. now they are unusable.

i think a wool peacoat is fine for winter, as long as youve got other layers on underneath.

february is the slowest month tourist wise in NY. you should be able to find a decent place midtown for 150 a night + taxes.

29-01-2011
windowshopping

When I go to NY, I'll actually stay near New Jersey, to save money on hotels. NY is just a quick drive away. That's more money for shopping.

01-02-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
i dont wear any good leather shoes if there is snow or on the ground. i just stick to wellingtons or shoes i dont care about. the salt is really awful for shoes. you can bring leather shoes as long as you bring a special vinegar solution for cleaning them.

i should post a pic here of my leather prada boots as a warning here. they got all warped and whitened. now they are unusable.

The salt here is HELL for shoes! I ruin a few pairs every winter, it's totally inevitable. So sad!

05-02-2011
V.I.P.

What about leather bags? If it's windy etc, does salt touch those?

I read up on the vinegar solution - it's just water + vinegar, so I'll be able to make some while I'm there. But yeah, I'll probably just take cheap shoes, and find some wellingtons while I'm there.

Booked my flights

07-02-2011
backstage pass

No, the salt is just because the city deals with the ice on the ground by scattering rock salt everywhere (it makes the ice melt and adds some traction), so every puddle you step in (and you will step in many a puddle) will be full of extremely dirty, salty water which irreparably stains and eats away at your shoes...

my doc martens are very useful and are what i usually wear in the snow (waterproof, sturdy, only look better when the'yre kinda dirty) and wellies are also a good thing if you can pull them off. Your bags/coats/etc will be fine -- it's just a matter of the ground being eternally utterly disgusting

Be aware that there is a lot of precipitation though (Feb-April are very wet here) so an umbrella or something with a hood will also come in handy, though you can always get that here. No need for a rain slicker or anything, but you won't be here during the city's most, uh, flattering or fun weather.

07-02-2011
V.I.P.

yep, the good thing about NYC is that there are cheap umbrellas everywhere you look.

bianca, i would even go about seeing if you can borrow a jacket from someone. i think it makes sense if you live in a hot climate usually.

while you are here, you may notice quite a few dogs wearing shoes. the shoes protect them from chemical burns from the salt on the streets.

10-02-2011
front row

13 days! Will be missing fashion week but there's always next season. So excited to get away, explore the city and get into some trouble. We're staying in Hells Kitchen. Any good cheap eats/shops/bars in the area?

10-02-2011
V.I.P.

^I was staying not so far in Hells Kitchen ... I actually never knew if I was in Theater District or Hells Kitchen ...
On the 9th Av. from approx. 44nd st to 50th st. there are tons of restaurants. There's a very good mexican one on 9th AV. and 47th st. btw 2 groceries ... I think the name is actually Hell's Kitchen ...
JUst hang on the streets and taste ... I don't know where you're from, but surprisingly there are hamburgers and cheeseburgers in any non-etnic restaurant !!!! That's why if yu don't want to taste the best hamburgers in ur life, go for the etnic ones ...

And for fun, go to lucky cheng's at least one night and say hello to Tiara and all the girlsssss ....

OH I Miss NYC soooooo much.

Cannot wait to come back. 2012 !!!

12-02-2011
front row

Aww thanks BerlinRocks! As indecisive as we are, we have finally chosen to rent a gorgeous apartment in Greenwich village. My friends know this area a little better so we'll be better off, rather than wasting precious shopping time by asking for directions/recommendations.

12-02-2011
tfs star

^best choice ever!

25-02-2011
fashion insider

Hey everyone! I'm going to NYC in march on a class trip and staying at the chelsea savoy hotel. Can anyone tell me if and where I can find some great thrift/vintage stores nearby and any other cool affordable shops? I will have about $1,000 with me devoted to shopping. Oh and where can I find a place that sells ksubi skinny jeans? I want a pair badly but I dint want to risk buying a fake one one eBay

Another thing, does anyone have any info on dsw shoe store? I hear they have a lot of awesome designer shoes there at low prices but it's a bit out of my way so I just want to make sure it's worth the trip to brooklyn

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
city, shopping, york