How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

01-03-2011
backstage pass

meh, dsw isn't that great. there's one in union square i think though? which is very central. they don't have really upscale great designers though for the most part, it'll be, like, miss sixty and stuff at best, from my experience at least. you should probably be able to find ksubi at barney's/bergdorf/saks/bloomies/etc. i think there is also a ksubi store on mulberry street, though i'm not sure if it's still there.

good vintage/thrift, off the top of my head:

chelsea:
don't know the name but there's a great one on 23rd st btwn 6+ bway
a handful of decent thrift shops + flea markets on the weekends on 25th street nearby

downtown:
amarcord on lafayette street
frock on elizabeth street, beautiful but pricey for vintage
screaming mimi's is a classic, also on lafayette
zachary's smile on lafayette, kind of hit or miss but i've gotten some great stuff
any of the housing works shops, there are a lot
the east village is packed with thrift/vintage shops, wander around and you're bound to run into plenty, i have no idea what they're all called but the area around tompkins square park is teeming with them
change of season isn't vintage but sells like, last-season rick owens, which is nice, also in the east village

brooklyn:
beacon's closet in williamsburg and park slope, absolute must. the wburg one is bigger but the park slope one is nicer and not as overwhelming (williasmburg one is basically a warehouse)
peachfrog, which is right next to beacon's closet
buffalo exchange in williamsburg is allright, but i like the east village + chelsea ones better
the brooklyn flea on weekends is awesome, you must go

http://nymag.com/fashion/fashionables/68972/
and yelp.com are good resources as well

03-03-2011
tfs star

Also, INA in soho and housing works (various locations)
http://www.shophousingworks.com/loca....cfm?storeID=8

06-03-2011
rising star

Boutique suggestions
My BF and I are contemplating heading to NYC in July, mainly because we both want to see the big McQueen exhibit at the Met (and neither of us have been to NYC before).

I was looking for some good shopping suggestions for my style/budget. I'm not interested in buying really expensive items. My style is more edgy/monochromatic-I usually like places like All Saints, Topshop, Zara, H&M, Aritzia (big in Vancouver, I think you guys have one in Soho now). In terms of price, All Saints is probably as expensive as I want to go. I've also got Oak on my list, but its a bit pricey right? Any suggestions for places like these I definitely want to check out. Also, where would the biggest H&M, Zara, Urban Outfitters, and Forever 21 be?

My BF, I guess you could say he's into "hipster" style. He really likes Urban Outfitters and Zara. He loves Cheap Monday and Levis jeans-where would be the best place to look for those? He's also big on shoes (not sneakers-more like casual dressy shoes).

Also, which store has the biggest selection of womens designer shoes? I need to look for some good designer flats.

Oh, and a silly question-do these kind of special exhibits at the Met "sell out"? Since the McQueen exhibit is a big reason why we're thinking of going, I would be really devastated if we got there and we couldn't get in to see it. I'm assuming if we went on a weekday the Met would be a bit less busy?

06-03-2011
V.I.P.

the biggest H&M is on 5th avenue, not far from central park and right across the street from st patricks cathedral. its a big tourist attraction. there are also other large department stores in the area. there is a medium sized zara right across the street also.

for levis i would check out the levis store. they have just opened a few of their own stores in new york, boston, etc. the fit is supposed to be improved. you may have seen their ads in the march issues of a lot of fashion magazines.

there is a large forever 21 right near the empire state building. i would suggest going there. there is also a large one in union square. i would go earlier in the day where it isnt too mobbed with people and completely messy.

union square has a DSW shoe store. its like a department store but filled completely with designer shoes. the prices arent bad. i think your man might like this. it also isnt too mobbed.

if you plan on going to the site of the world trade center there is a department store right near there called century 21. they have a great shoe selection (in a seperate building) lots of marc jacobs etc. its all discounted. they also have a lot of designer clothes.

the special exhibitions at the MET are usually included in the price of admission. admission is voluntary. people usually pay 10$. i would go early in the AM.

opening ceremony in soho might still carry cheap monday. im not sure.

06-03-2011
rising star

^Thanks for the input. Do you know where the biggest Levis is (for mens-I'm not a big fan of their jeans-I'm heading to Uniqlo for my fix)?

If we do go, it would only be for max 4 days, so I'm trying to figure out where the "biggest" of each store is, to get the best stock selection.

And which department store would have the best selection of designer shoes? I'd like to hit up discount places like DSW (and I'd like to get to the Woodbury outlet) but I would also like to take a look at the current season's selection too-I don't mind paying full price since shoes are usually my splurge item.

Last edited by etceteraism; 06-03-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: Forgot a question

06-03-2011
V.I.P.

not sure where the biggest levis store. there may only be one or two of them. as i said, they only opened a few months ago.

i dont think woodbury commons is worth going to. it can take the whole day to get there and back. the last time i was there, the shuttle bus spent 30 mins just getting out the parking lot.

i forgot to mention nordstrom rack. its in union square. and the stuff there is only a month or so out of regular nordstroms. excellent shoe selection.

06-03-2011
tfs star

^the biggest forever21 is in Times square. and it closes at 1.00 am

08-03-2011
backstage pass

^^ Most of these big chain stores will be located in Soho. There will be some uptown too, but you've described yourselves as downtown-sort of people and if I were you I'd just walk down Broadway in Soho to hit all those big stores, the list you ran off (Urban, Uniqlo, H+M, Zara, Topshop, Topman, Allsaints, etc) are practically all in a row from Houston to Broome. I avoid the midtown locations of all those stores like the plague, but that's just me. FYI there are a few H+M's in Soho and all of them carry slightly different styles and are a bit more navigable than the monstrosities uptown.

I don't think Opening Ceremony carries Levis/Cheap Monday anymore but Urban definitely does, but OC is definitely still worth checking out. As is Oak -- their prices vary, in both stores they have two rooms, one of items at a significantly lower price point ($30 - 150) as opposed to the $300-900 items in the main room. For nice men's jeans I would also hit up Acne and APC stores in Soho, maybe also Madewell.

mid-price women's shoes: shoegasm has a few locations that are inexpensive-ish, and I'm a huge fan of shoemarket in williamsburg. plenty of aldos around too, but those are anywhere. United Nude is always fun, that's on Bond across the street from Oak.

Century 21 as recc'd above is great -- if you can deal with the crowds. And there will be crowds. You will fight. They do have good things though, if you can stand it. If you have cash to blow, obviously all our pricey dept stores are lovely and will have your widest selection -- I honestly go to Barney's and Jeffrey as if it's a damn museum. The Barney's co-ops are a bit lower in price with edgier/younger designers, I shop there often.

But also don't underestimate walking around a neighborhood, walking a few blocks in Soho is the same as going to Barney's, just it's more spread out! It really is like going to a large outdoor mall where all your favourite designers have small stores, so don't be intimidated by that. Check superfuture for good maps of shop locations, etc.

The Met doesn't realy sell out unless you're there for an opening or something, but like the above poster, I'd agree that earlier is better than later, and yes, weekdays will be calmer. You can literally spend a whole day there too! So plan for an entire rainy Tuesday there or something. Check out th eBrooklyn museum also, they often have excellent costume displays and the park nearby is quite nice.

Woodbury Commons: waste of time, IMHO. I've never found anything great there at all.

09-03-2011
rising star

^Great! Awesome suggestions. Any ideas for small boutiques sort of like All Saints/Topshop/Oak and around the same price point? I always like to check out local places and not just big chains, but those 2 stores probably sum up my style the best. I took a look at a lot of the boutique listings for NYC, but they're either incredibly expensive or too feminine/girly for my taste.

I just checked out the United Nude site and I am in love. Definitely putting that on my list.

And I'd much rather wander around a neighbourhood than be stuck inside a department store. Although if I do go, it would be July, and I heard it's quite hot and humid that time of year.

09-03-2011
backstage pass

Don't be too afraid of some of the pricier places, you'll be surprised that sometimes you can score nicer cheaper things on sale or hidden on back racks... Convent on Clinton St is very similar to Oak, I shop there a lot too. Lots of stuff at lower price points too.

Inventory on Lafayette St is reasonably priced, and some other downtown boutiques (just google for addresses...these are all mostly on the LES) that aren't through the roof are Pixie Market, In God We Trust, The Cast, the Reformation, TG170, Journelle (lingerie! gorgeous!), Suite Orchard... Greenpoint and Williamsburg are great for shopping also... Alter, Dalaga, Amarcord Vintage, the APC surplus store, About Glamour (awesome! Japanese overstock and vintage, tons of comme/junya/etc), Bird (pricey but nice, a little girly for me but it's cute and they carry some good designers), Jumelle, Sodafine, and Love Brigade....

I'd also recc going down to DUMBO, lots of cute shops and just a nice area, especially in good weather.... use nymag.com guides for this too It's hot as hell here all summer, but I still love it... but you will be surprised at how uncomfortable it can get summer nights here are gorgeous though!

10-03-2011
V.I.P.

i think lafindesiecle is right. you are better off hitting stores that you want to go to that are grouped together or right by tourist attractions to maximize your time.

i'd also try to not to spent too long in each store. try to plan it like a surgical strike! otherwise your husband/boyfriend is going to go nuts.

10-03-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
i think lafindesiecle is right. you are better off hitting stores that you want to go to that are grouped together or right by tourist attractions to maximize your time.
yes, and i think that spending a day in a neighborhood shopping/eating/seeing the area/seeing whatever touristy stuff around can be quite nice and a much better plan for getting a feel for nyc than running around with a scheduled itinerary.... i'd probably recc picking a neighborhood ("soho + nolita" or "greenpoint + williamsburg" or "lower east side + east village" or "downtown bk + park slope" or "museum mile + central park") and mapping out all of the things you might want to see/eat/buy in the area and then spending the morning or afternoon leisurely finding them... i think it's a much more realistic way of dealing with the city and much more fun than running around like a crazy person trying to find all the best things to see! a lot of people i don't think realise how walkable much of the city is.

11-03-2011
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafindesiecle View Post
For nice men's jeans I would also hit up Acne and APC stores in Soho, maybe also Madewell.

agreed, but their best jeans will be on the pricier side. blue in green on greene st in soho would also be worth a look. the barney's co-op denim selection is generally pretty good too but again, this is the more expensive side of things, though you can sometimes find a good deal.

get him to check out the jeans at uniqlo if you're going there as well, they do pretty good jeans for men.

11-03-2011
V.I.P.

go to gap for jeans. i know there's a stigma around gap and its image but they truly make fantastic jeans especially their premium ones. although you can get that anywhere.

28-03-2011
girl who fell to earth

sample sale with lots of big designers with all proceeds going to Japan Disaster Relief in NYC April 2-3...
All info here: http://www.fashiongirlsforjapan.com/

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
city, shopping, york