How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

30-03-2011
rising star

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

What is the area around the meatpacking district like? We'll be staying at my BF's friends place, since he's going on vacation and offered up his apartment. He said he lives near the McQueen store "next to" the meatpacking district. Any suggestions for things to do/see in that area? And is it relatively safe at night? I'm a bit nervous about being in NYC at night.

30-03-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etceteraism View Post

What is the area around the meatpacking district like? We'll be staying at my BF's friends place, since he's going on vacation and offered up his apartment. He said he lives near the McQueen store "next to" the meatpacking district. Any suggestions for things to do/see in that area? And is it relatively safe at night? I'm a bit nervous about being in NYC at night.
I must say your bf's friend lives in one of the coolest nabe's in the city
At night is like a circus...
The Apple Store is near McQueen's.... totally safe. Just be careful when crossing. crazy drivers from New Jersey... lol
Rest assure the area has lots to do and depending where your bf's friend's apt is from 10th to 14th to Union Square Park is very safe.. and then some.
Always be aware of drunkard club goers, they can be extremely rowdy and problematic. but that's the same with other cities with bars around.
hope that helps a bit.

30-03-2011
V.I.P.

new york is a very safe place. you'll be surprised at how "disneyland" it is. especially in the touristy areas

30-03-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by etceteraism View Post

Your biggest threat in the MPD at night is going to be the packs of Ed-Hardy-clad drunk douchebag frat boys from Jersey wandering the streets hooting with their fake-tanned girlfriends tottering behind in faux Louboutins..... place is packed with overrated trendy clubs and as a result you get a lot of that crowd around in the evenings.

HOWEVER it is very nice during the day though and really pretty and unique looking... great shopping (Yigal, Helmut Lang, DVF, La Perla, CDG, Jeffrey, Louboutin, Theory, Tory Burch, Matthew Williamson, Chelsea Market, etc are all right on that block, and right around the corner from Milk which is where half of NYFW takes place now) and a short walk from Chelsea and West Village which are also full of great stores + restaurants. It's an extremely expensive, recently revived neighborhood and therefore definitely a safe one.... twenty years ago it would've been quite dangerous but to be honest I'm at the point where I think it's boring because the whole thing is so damn neat and clean and shiny and rich!

The Highline is right there though, which is lovely -- grab some lunch at the Chelsea Market on a sunny day and go sit on some of the chairs there for a while, it's beautiful! There are also plenty of piers and places to walk and sit along the water there.

You're going to be safe anywhere in Manhattan that any normal tourist would be going... as in any city you should be aware and careful and smart as of course things do happen, but unless you're planning on running around in Bushwick alone and half-naked at night, don't let paranoia/safety be a major concern. Take cabs if you are concerned and watch your bag/pockets on the subway, but you're probably more likely to be run over by an errant bicyclist than get mugged. It's also helpful to know that our cops here are generally pretty nice/reasonable/helpful if you behave well and are polite and, you know, aren't breaking the law.

04-04-2011
scenester

I've spent a lot of time out at night in NYC and never felt in danger. You have to be sensible, of course, but generally it's not been a problem.

If you're using the subway at night, go to the busiest part of the platform. In some stations these are designated and passengers are advised to use them late at night. If you don't want to use the subway at night though, just catch a cab, they're not too expensive.

Go a few streets further down the meatpacking district, south of gansevoort st where it's not as crowded and it gets a bit more residential and it's a pleasant place to walk around and explore on foot, with some cool shops and boutiques too (there's a Y-3 in the area, away from the major foot traffic in the meatpacking district). I stayed at the Jane Hotel once which is in that area and it's a nice neighbourhood. The meatpacking district is kinda bad at night though, as has been pointed out, with all the tackiness and average nightclubs to be found there. Although one of the city's best clubs in my opinion, Cielo, is in the area at Little West 12th St.

Chilling at the high line is always nice and definitely recommended.

04-04-2011
rising star

Is it actually unsafe at night in the Meatpacking district, or just..."unpleasant" because of all the drunk douchebags wandering around? Having a bunch of frat boys wandering around doesn't really bother me if they keep to themselves.

04-04-2011
scenester

just unpleasant, I would say. It's too crowded to be legitimately dangerous in the sense that some harm might come to you. I can't speak from a woman's perspective but I honestly think the chances of that happening are very small.

04-04-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunburyist View Post
just unpleasant, I would say. It's too crowded to be legitimately dangerous in the sense that some harm might come to you. I can't speak from a woman's perspective but I honestly think the chances of that happening are very small.
Unless your eyes rolling so far back into your head that you're permanently damaged is a major danger, you'll be fine. Like everyone else is saying, Manhattan is really safe, especially if you're even just marginally aware of your surroundings. The actual crime rates in the city, at least in the main areas where you would be, are quite low, especially even as compared to the city in, say, the 70's or 80s. The subway is quite safe now too, which was also not true 35 years ago. I very rarely feel threatened and as I said I am frequently living in sketchy areas of Brooklyn and travelling alone at night and I usually feel fine.

One thing that you may not be aware of -- depending on where you are from and how people tend to behave... street harassment is very common here, so expect dozens and dozens of men to honk/hoot/shout/gesture/speak to you. Which sucks, but it usually doesn't correlate with any actual real physical danger. So I wouldn't worry too much about feeling unsafe on the street but do be prepared to have to ignore a lot of *******s who feel entitled to comment on your legs.

04-04-2011
V.I.P.

Overall, if you're on 14th Street walking from University up to the meatpacking district (9th Ave) at 2am you're still safe...

If you're going towards the Lower East Side, which has lots of bars and bar/clubs too, you really have to be very careful and i mean really be careful. Better hail a cab going back to the apt than walk.

New York City is a city that never sleeps , but just be sensible.

04-04-2011
trendsetter

I love all the advice here! Going to spend way too much time reading through everything, for sure.

I just wanted to shoot o'er a question, which area do you think has the best vintage shopping? I won't have much time for it when I visit but would like to go to as many as possible in close proximity.

05-04-2011
tfs star

^in order: soho, LES, west village.

05-04-2011
backstage pass

I'd say head out to Brooklyn for vintage, but that's if you're willing to hunt. Manhattan is going to be more 'curated' and more expensive -- so nicer, but pricier -- where Brooklyn has more places that your'e going to need to hunt. Go back a few pages, there's plenty of great vintage listings in this thread

As a (if I haven't made it clear already, haha) thoroughly downtown and bk girl who basically spends her whole life on the LES and EV, I'm going to contest that "LES" isn't safe notion here! LES is practically the meatpacking district now in terms of crowd anyhow... Anywhere in NYC you need to be aware of your surroundings, but I really really wouldn't paint the east side as dangerous at all, unless you're in the far reaches of alphabet city alone and wasted at 4 AM and then maybe just be a LITTLE more aware for random bums and crackheads -- maybe in the 80s and even 90s, but everything is so gentrified by now that I don't think safety is a major concern in lower manhattan if you've got your wits about you in the least, and especially if you're not alone. Don't be afraid! Really! I take cabs all the time but it's usually because I'm drunk and lazy, not out of safety concerns :p

05-04-2011
scenester

basically my advice to etcetaraism is that new york is pretty much amazing and you shouldn't be nervous about getting around at night or anything else for that matter

05-04-2011
rising star

Thanks for the advice everyone.

What would you say are the best neighbourhoods to check out in terms of shopping/eating/etc? My bf and I are only planning on doing a couple of touristy things and plan to spend most of the time relaxing and exploring different areas. Of course, we'd spend a day in the meatpacking district/chelsea, then one shopping along 5th ave, and one day in soho. I was thinking one day in Greenwich Village and/or Tribeca too. It's hard to tell how large and close together some of these neighbourhoods are, if it's possible to do 2 in one day without being too rushed.

14-04-2011
scenester

I'd say have lunch at the Chelsea market - Lobster place has amazing seafood, it's a no wait service place but so fresh. Then walk to the West village - south from your friend's. There are lots of boutiques - you'll see 4 MJ stores in one street, famous Magnolia Bakery, walk all the way west to the river and have a nice stroll by the Hudson. Finish up with a drink outside at Pastis.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
city, shopping, york