How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

17-06-2011
V.I.P.

^ that store is called evolution. their website is evolutionnyc.com
the last time i was in there they had freeze dried bulldog puppies!

it is a very interesting store.

18-06-2011
V.I.P.

Not exactly fashion related but the one problem I had while in NYC earlier this year (for about 10 days), is where do you buy your daily needs like washing detergent, a loaf of bread ?

I guess its not just a NY thing, but a whole country thing, since I'm from Australia.
Duane Reade was the only place I came across that had washing detergent (but only one brand), and we asked some delis where we could buy a loaf of bread, and they looked puzzled and pointed us to their bread, which was like cake-bread. I didn't come across any supermarkets/grocery stores, besides delis and pharmacies (which was so different to Australia - our pharmacies don't sell food, drinks and everything like that, just toiletries and medicines!). Do you have a chain of supermarkets/grocery at all?

18-06-2011
V.I.P.

yes, there are a bunch of supermarkets in NYC.

whole foods has a bunch of locations. its an upscale grocery store that sells healthy food. trader joes is a discount supermarket (its owned by the same company that runs aldi in europe) gristedes and d'agostino are other larger grocery stores.

in general, grocery stores are very expensive in NYC compared to my city.

but food at convenience stores is also a rip-off. that's why so many new yorkers dine out.

18-06-2011
V.I.P.

yeah! so hard to find food there! couldn't find a grocery store. i guess food really is expensive there.

20-06-2011
backstage pass

hahaha... what neighborhoods were y'all in? there are definitely supermarkets around but sometimes you need to do a little research or hunt for them, especially if you're in a less-than-residential area like midtown or where most hotels are. we buy an awful lot of our stuff at bodegas (those corner marts that are everywhere) but also specialty shops -- i get more bread from bakeries than from the grocery and so on. there are definitely a few big chain groceries around -- wholefoods, trader joe's, d'agostino, food emporium then cheaper ones like C-town, gristedes, and Associated. sunac is also another small chain of organic/healthy groceries. it definitely depends on the neighborhood...there are 4 decent groceries within walking distance of my apartment in brooklyn but if i were in times square i'd have no idea where to go! It sounds to me like you were probably in a less-residential district -- i think 'living in new york' and 'visiting new york' are very different experiences and you have to have friends living here to really see how people deal with stuff like groceries and laundry

we also honestly don't buy detergent often because nobody has a washer/dryer in their home! i usually just buy the little packets from the machine at my laundromat when i go to do my laundry. if i were to get stuff like that or dish soap or whatever i would just get it at a grocery or a duane reade/cvs.

Groceries definitely are very expensive though -- but still cheaper than eating out every night, which is what a lot of new yorkers do. (see all those jokes baout people who keep clothes in the fridge and oven!) Trader Joe's is the most affordable and has excellent food, and it's also worth hunting down farmer's markets and so on for cheaper and fresher produce. a lot of folks also get their groceries delivered thru freshdirect but that doesn't make sense if you're just visiting.

11-07-2011
windowshopping

Does anyone know vintage/second hand shops where I could stumble upon a Chanel tweed jacket?

11-07-2011
backstage pass

^^ sorry babe, you'll probably just have to hunt if you're looking for really specific vintage items, eBay might be easier! there's plenty of shops with great stuff here of course, but you can rarely predict what the stock will be like :/

11-07-2011
V.I.P.

please check the following thread for ideas:

New York City : Vintage shops

11-07-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafindesiecle View Post
^^ sorry babe, you'll probably just have to hunt if you're looking for really specific vintage items, eBay might be easier! there's plenty of shops with great stuff here of course, but you can rarely predict what the stock will be like :/
Thanks! I was afraid hunting would be the answer :p

27-07-2011
fashion icon

I'll be in the city next Thursday to see the Alexander McQueen show at the Met. Besides that I was hoping to shop at some of the stores around where the museum is located but since I have a limited time in the city what shops would you recommend? Also, does anyone know if the new Laduree store opened up on Madison Avenue? I really want to have a macaroon!

27-07-2011
backstage pass

^^^ ehhhhh uptown you're not going to get much 'interesting,' just expensive and kind of 'mainstream'? lots of kids clothes stores too... i say hop on the 6 and take it down to soho instead :p

27-07-2011
fashion icon

^Ahh okay thanks! I don't know the city that well so any advice of shops in soho that you like instead?

28-07-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
I'll be in the city next Thursday to see the Alexander McQueen show at the Met. Besides that I was hoping to shop at some of the stores around where the museum is located but since I have a limited time in the city what shops would you recommend? Also, does anyone know if the new Laduree store opened up on Madison Avenue? I really want to have a macaroon!
if i were you i would try to go the Met first thing in the morning. the wait for the McQueen exhibit can be 1 to 2 hours. (and you'll have to stand in line the entire time)

the new laduree shop doesnt open until september, i believe. you can try calling them and see what their voicemail says.

28-07-2011
backstage pass

@yoninah, click back a few pages, there's a lot of great suggestions for neighborhoods and shopping earlier in the thread

also agreed on going early in the morning -- the wait isn't horrible all the time but it's been pretty packed the few times i've been to the museum and when i went to go see it. so earlier is definitely going to be easier!

you can get macarons at macaron cafe, bouchon bakery, and maison du macaron as well! (google them for locations etc.)

28-07-2011
fashion icon

Thanks Lucy92 and Lafindesiecle for your advice! Shame about Laduree not being open yet but I'll try to check out one of the other macaron places you suggested. And I plan on getting to the museum early especially since it's the last week it'll be showing and I bet loads of other people will want to see it as well.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
city, shopping, york