How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

20-04-2006
trendsetter

New York City : Vintage shops
I don't think there is a thread for this yet, but what are your favorite vintage shops in the Manhattan/New York area, and what type of clothes do they carry?

Any thoughts?

20-04-2006
about to fall or fly

just letting you know i've moved this to our wonderful shop by city forum.

scenester

the 42 street salvation army is hipster land, but in soho there is Edith and Daha which has a lot of 60's 70's and 80's shoes. The floor is covered with boots and heels...and a good amount of flats. The clothes collection is hit or miss, and it's not "cheap" it's on the inexpensive expensive side. And also there is Marmalade which is in that area...the Rivington street has some good places like these two (which are around the famous Katz Deli). Plus if you need more places you can look at the Nymetro web site, or the Village Voice web site, they profile a lot of these places...
good luck!

(great thread idea btw)

08-06-2007
fashion elite

Bump!

25-07-2007
backstage pass

I'm going to NYC on Monday and staying near little Italy. What is near there that i should see?

25-07-2007
trendsetter

INA NOLITA is a consignment shop just north of Little Italy (hence NoLita

They are still a little pricey for vintage/consignment but fun none the less.

They are at 21 Prince Street

16-02-2008
trendsetter

I posted this recently in the NYC shopping forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkd1187 View Post
Vintage: So many places have things that are “too old” or “too new” if you know what I mean? I usually just go to thrift shops when I am in the mood to hunt.

* Screaming Mimi’s – Definitly an awesome store with a great number of costumey pieces. Wonderful selection of things - if you want individual vintage items to piece with the rest of your outfit - however too much Mimi's will make you look way too retro. Prices are high - but worth it if you find the right item. The staff is very friendly – most double as DJs + promoters for hipster clubs. Lafayette St. between Bond St. and Great Jones. 212-677-6464. www.screamingmimis.com.

* Metropolis – Great selection of cheap vintage. LOTS of great men’s boots/shoes around $50. They have a ton of nice furs in good condition. The prices are not bad at all -> a nice in between thrift and vintage. A lot of tacky new t-shirts as well – ignore them though and go for the good stuff. 3rd Ave. between 9th and 10th St. 212-358-0795.

* Rags-a-go-go – Hole-in-the-wall store with a great, cheap selection of vests, jackets, cowboy boots, t-shirts, etc. Everything is priced on the wall by what type of item (ex. T-shirts = $4, hats =$6). A lot of great stuff – but a lot of crap – get ready to search. 14th St. between 7th and 8th Ave. 646-486-4011.

* Love Saves the Day – This more like a museum of antique toys, clothing, Playboys, other magazines, jewelry, etc. Pictures are NOT allowed =). Prices are not bad – but not necessarily a bargain. 2nd Ave. @ 7th St. 212-228-3802.

16-02-2008
trendsetter

and dis

Quote:
Consignment: Almost all my favorite articles come from resale stores. The ones with the best selection are usually the most expensive – but it depends.

* Fisch for the Hip – Of all NYC consignment stores – this has by for the best selection. However – the payoff is the absolutely insane prices for already-worn clothing – sometimes going above the original retail value (I recently saw a LV / Stephen Sprouse wallet for over $1000). There are some great finds – many stylists drop current things off right after a photo shoot. I’ve even found a few shirts from Hedi Slimane’s YSL collection for around $100. The staff is very sweet – unless you count the owner – who has major attitude (when she is in the store - its like the first scene of Devil Wears Prada when Meryl first arrives). Her dogs run amuck too – which adds a little something extra =). 18th St. between 6th and 7th Ave. 212-633-9053. www.fischforthehip.com

* Tokyo 7 – the complete opposite of Fisch – this Japanese-run outlet lacks a hand-picked feel. Nevertheless – I hardly ever walk out empty handed – as the prices are very low and the items can be awesome. 7th St. between 1st and 2nd Ave. 212-353-8443.

* INA – With a few locations downtown (and apparently one now Uptown) – INA’s prices fall in between Tokyo 7 and Fisch. The items can vary - both based on which store you go to – and by how expensive (Polo/Kenneth Cole -→ Chanel, Marc Jacobs). The men’s store on Mott St. has a large selection of suits/jackets. Men’s: Mott St. between Houston and Prince St. 212-249-0014. Women’s A: Thomson St. between Prince St. and Spring St. 212-941-4757. Women’s B: Prince St. between Mott St. and Elizabeth St. 212- 334-9048. Men’s and Women’s: Bleecker St. between Lafayette St. and Bowery. 212-228-8511. www.inanyc.com.

06-04-2008
Empire State of Mind

I'm going to NY again in the summer. I always enjoy Beacon's closet in Brooklyn. I found an amazing Jil Stuart dress there last time. They have both vintage and current designers. There are two of them but the one in Williamsburg is much bigger.
http://www.beaconscloset.com/

There is also Resurrection NOLITA.
http://www.resurrectionvintage.com/

13-04-2008
backstage pass

Cheap Jack's (right next to Korea town) around 6th and 32nd (I think) is wonderful! It has a humongous collection of vintage. It's kind of an adventure just looking through the store.

Empire State of Mind

Thanks for the info. I'll def. check that out when I'm there in June.

24-04-2008
windowshopping

Thanks for posting, will definately come in handy this summer.

18-07-2008
backstage pass

never done vintage before
but i'll check out some stores this weekend
as i gots nothing to do on sat.

18-07-2008
trendsetter

Quote:
I posted this recently in the NYC shopping forum.

*UPDATE* Rags-a-go-go has closed

20-07-2008
scenester

i <3 ina's one of my stores i always browse though hard to find a good deal is the salvation army on 8th st

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
city, shops, vintage, york