How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-05-2007
Brooklyn, baby!

NYC Nightlife & Food
I hope I've put this in the right place - I figured this was the best place for a thread like this. But mods, please feel free to move this if you feel like this is in the wrong place!

I thought it would be cool to have a thread for New Yorkers (or visitors) to inquire about good bars, nightclubs, restaurants, cafes, etc in NYC! This'll be the place to share tips, ask about certain bars/clubs, and give recommendations to our fellow tFSers!

I'll start it off - has anyone been to The Park restaurant/bar (http://theparknyc.com/)? I've heard good things about the place and was thinking of taking my friend who is about to turn 21 there for a meal and a few drinks before heading out to the bars. Has anyone been there before, and do you recommend it? Thanks!

17-05-2007
Brooklyn, baby!

Where are all my New Yorkers?

Well, I have another question, hopefully someone else will come post and help me out! Or at least get this thread more active.

Has anyone been to any of these places?
- Cabana at the Maritime Hotel
- Bar 13
- 230 Fifth
- The Manor
- Bungalow 8

Which would you recommend going to to take a stylish girl out for her 21st birthday on a Tuesday or Wednesday night? We'd like to dance a bit, but also just relax and talk. Also, which night is better - Tues or Wed?

17-05-2007
fashion insider

I'll be in NY in July. Is there going to be any 4th July parade??? And what would you recomend to see?

17-05-2007
Brooklyn, baby!

^ Go see the fireworks on the 4th of July along the river, down by the United Nations building! It's a lot of fun. Get there early for a good spot though, otherwise you might have a large overpass blocking 1/2 of your view!

17-05-2007
trendsetter

I haven't been to The Park at night; but, on a sunny Sat/Sun I like going for brunch. Then you can hit up Jeffery.

I went to Manor, got Pete Wentz's phone number, did all that stuff and wasn't impressed.

I know a lot of girls like Stereo. I hate it because I dislike annoying straight girls and people from Jersey.

Double 7s was great; but, I think it is still closed.

trendsetter

www.yelp.com

Brooklyn, baby!

Thanks ETROsexualJ for your help.

So, I've narrowed down the places that I think we'd enjoy the most: The Park (for dinner and a few drinks), Cabana at the Maritime Hotel, Bungalow 8, The Plumm, 230 Fifth, Bar 13, and Gypsy Tea. We wouldn't go to ALL of those, just a few.

I've read a lot of reviews as well as talked to friends and they seem to think that these would be good spots for our friend's birthday, as they suit her taste (high class, exclusive, likes to dance but also just relax, loves to people watch). What do you guys think about these choices?

And are any of these going to be super hard to get into on a Tuesday night if we're not on the guest list? Our group is 2 stylish girls and a gay guy.

17-05-2007
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
^ Go see the fireworks on the 4th of July along the river, down by the United Nations building! It's a lot of fun. Get there early for a good spot though, otherwise you might have a large overpass blocking 1/2 of your view!

thanks so much

17-05-2007
V.I.P.

i have always wanted to go to the martime hotel. love the architecture of that building.

has anyone been to the bar at the chelsea hotel? is it open to the "public"?

beauty bar is supposed to be really nice and lower key but hip.

i like the spotted pig a lot. the food is really good. i would avoid going there in the evening as it will be mobbed.

and i do want to go to buddha bar because i enjoyed the one in paris years ago...

17-05-2007
flaunt the imperfection

hmm..i think stuff like this usually goes at the entertainment spot...
i think we actually already have a great thread with loads of info there...

though NY changes all the time and what's 'hot'..usually is 'not' very quickly...

17-05-2007
Brooklyn, baby!

^ Whoops, I had no idea! Can someone point me in the direction of that thread please? I can't find it.

17-05-2007
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
i have always wanted to go to the martime hotel. love the architecture of that building.

has anyone been to the bar at the chelsea hotel? is it open to the "public"?

beauty bar is supposed to be really nice and lower key but hip.

i like the spotted pig a lot. the food is really good. i would avoid going there in the evening as it will be mobbed.

and i do want to go to buddha bar because i enjoyed the one in paris years ago...
LOVE the maritime hotel..small-ish rooms but great environment

go there around fashion week and you'll bump into tons of models

if ur looking for a quick bite to eat..but a healthy choice rather than fast food..check out pax love it!

17-05-2007
V.I.P.

And that's why I love it, Softgrey...

Im not really feeling Buddha Bar anymore, it's kind of cliche at this point, it's also kind of boring, I dunno, the big gold Buddha doesn't do much for me anymore...

Ill go anywhere, it doesn't matter if it's trendy or whatnot...My favorite clubby type places, yea...

- Townhouse
- Bungalow 8
- Mr. Black
- Metropolitan
- Pink Elephant
- O Bar
- BriteBar
- Rosebar
- The Manor
- The ****

And you really can't beat 80s night at Pyramid...Also, a friend of mine has gotten me hooked on dive bars, OMG, they're the best thing...I love them, I love this place in Nolita called Gatsby's or this place in the East Village, I have no idea what the name is (Im always drunk) but it's great, nothing like skeeballing in Dior...

I terms of eating:

- Craftsteak
- Morimoto
- Del Posto
- Buddakan
- Asia De Cuba
- Mercer Kitchen (thats what it's called, right? w/e)
- Pastis (very cliche, but thier food is great, wear your sunglasses to rile up the tourists, they'll think you're famous)
- Le Cirque
- Aureole
- This place across from Aureole, an italian place, dont know the name.
- Cafe Gitane
- Vesuvio
- Thompson Cafe

18-05-2007
V.I.P.

great thread. The Park is great. definetely should check it out. bungalow 8....i don't know. yes you will bump into models but that place can be terribly tacky. everybody just prides themselves of being able to get in. some nights are great, especially if you go monday-wed. the rest, thurs-sat is very crowded. and what's up with the door man wearing glasses at night (or is that marquee, i forget...) a little place that i absolutely love to eat at is cafe gitane in soho on the corner of mott and prince. great young crowd and a good watching point. hope this helps

Last edited by kezme44; 18-05-2007 at 12:37 AM.
18-05-2007
V.I.P.

oooh, and also balthazar in soho for food. but very crowded during fashion week.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
food, nightlife, nyc