How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Finishing Touches / Shop Till You Drop / shop by city
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-03-2006
windowshopping

Paris Shopping
I've been a member of the Fashion Spot for some time now but haven't exactly posted much, more or less a bystander.

However, I am embarking on a journey to Paris in July, and I've been wondering what are the best places to shop on a tight budget?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!

11-03-2006
backstage pass

me to!! i'm going soon and would love some tips!

V.I.P.

There is already a very large thread with lots of tips on shopping in Paris:
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...ping-5626.html

I have posted some tips on vintage shopping there.

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
11-03-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie_bubble
There is already a very large thread with lots of tips on shopping in Paris:
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...ping-5626.html

I have posted some tips on vintage shopping there.
Thanks for the link, but I've already checked out that thread and it seems to me that's more about the expensive upscale boutiques, whereas I'm looking for something on a low budget. However, I only browsed through the thread so perhaps I will give it a second look.

Thanks again

V.I.P.

^I can't say that Paris is the best place for budget shopping unless you want to shop at generic places like H&M, Etam etc. which isn't v. interesting at all. I posted some designer consignment/vintage picks which are v. reasonable. The best places for bargains are the flea markets like Vanves and Clignancourt.

11-03-2006
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie_bubble
^I can't say that Paris is the best place for budget shopping unless you want to shop at generic places like H&M, Etam etc. which isn't v. interesting at all. I posted some designer consignment/vintage picks which are v. reasonable. The best places for bargains are the flea markets like Vanves and Clignancourt.
well then, I'll be sure to check those out and then maybe splurge at Chanel

backstage pass

^thanks Susie Bubble

trendsetter

is there a Paris flea market ? like Portobello, Notiting hill in London

tfs star

This might be a silly question to post in this thread, but going to Paris on my own for a week in july, and was wondering if anyone had any tips on the best area to stay, that would be beautiful and convenient for shopping, getting around, etc? Also, any must-see/do's and favourite shopping. Thank you very much in advance

22-04-2006
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots & Perfume
This might be a silly question to post in this thread, but going to Paris on my own for a week in july, and was wondering if anyone had any tips on the best area to stay, that would be beautiful and convenient for shopping, getting around, etc? Also, any must-see/do's and favourite shopping. Thank you very much in advance
I'm also going to be on my own in Paris for a couple weeks i july, so I'm interested in any responses to this as well! Especially any suggestions of places to go that I can get to on my own and enjoy by myself and/or place to meet people!

23-04-2006
desire, undefined

personally, i prefer the montorgeuil or marais areas (these are arrondissement 2-3) as i really like the area around les halles, etienne marcel, sebastopol, rivoli, centre pompidou etc .. lots of great and cosy restaurants and it's not hard getting a good hotel room at a reasonable price either. regarding the shopping i'm not too sure as there's so many great areas for shopping in paris .. maybe the area around saint germain des prés. it's quite nice too .. feel free to pm me if you have any further questions, both of you ..

backstage pass

Just got back from Paris last night! I loved it...it was SO gorgeous 

So, to shopping. Colette was way overrated, and I felt stupid for walking as far as I did to get there. I thought it was pretentious and trying WAY too hard to be cool.

What I loved was the Market at Place de Clichy (sic?) I bought some amazing trims for sewing.

Paris IMO is far more affordable than London, and everything is beautiful (seriously). I liked Hermes and the area around the Madeline Metro in General. I was dismayed by all the hyper commercial crap in the Champ Elyesses (Think the Disney store, McDonalds, blech). However, there is a very nice Tea salon called Laurdee there, with Napoleon III decor, which is very refreshing for a light meal. Also, for food, Fauchon by the Madeline Metro is *amazing*. Be careful though!

Back to clothes...The area around Pigalle is a bit grotty, but there are great fabrics and trims; it has a feel of the NYC garment district. I really enjoyed going to Gaultier on St. Honore.

Le Bon Marche was meh...like any other department store really. I tried to go to places I haven't been before, not that I could visit when I am in the UK or the US.

My favourite was BHV, probably because I am moving to a new flat, and they are having a decorating event. I bought a Louis XV door, and a counter top 

Across from the Opera house (Great performance by the way) M Opera is a shop called LA style. At first I was at the name, but went in in search of a cappuccino. I was pleasantly surprised; It was quite nice and stylish. And the girl on the ground floor made the best cappuccino I've ever had. Seriously.

I stayed in M Louise Michael and it is a very nice residential area with *very* nice boutiques.

I heard of a couple of retro shops and half price couture, but I ran out of time. I am going back probably in summer, so maybe then. Besides, there are several sample sales coming up in London, and my suitcase was screaming with pain as it was.

A word of warning...girls go around the tourist areas claiming to be war orphans from Bosnia. They are frauds, don't give them money. And I was picpocketed thrice. Including my mobile. I have a secret pocket, and I should of put everything in there. Alas.

I heard of Tati having an odd coolness, but I was disappointed (It is an uber cheap type of store, I can't compare it to anything in the UK really).

The best part was not the shopping though, it was the Opera! And all of the art...Versailles, and the love which had an amazing Ingress exhibit...he is a favourite.

Oh and one las thing...the Museum of costume had a great couture show on, including some of the original WWI "genie" dresses...amazing.

Can you tell I loved it? The architecture...swoon.

23-04-2006
V.I.P.

Tati is a place where you REALLY have to hunt....

30-04-2006
trendsetter

Is anyone farmiliar with a place in Paris that sells a nice selection of vintage Vivienne Westwood?

01-05-2006
backstage pass

^ I think Réciproque does. Here is a link:

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/paris/S28572.html

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
paris, shopping